Providing SFVs with MP3 file shares

Discuss anything related to hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

fuuucckkers

Providing SFVs with MP3 file shares

Post by fuuucckkers »

You'll be happy to know, that starting tomorrow, I'll be using your program quite a bit.

Along with my strict MP3 verification / renaming procedures, correct ID3 tags, and CD covers in every directory, I'll now be adding an SFV file using your hkSFV program to every full album I have on my computer! All 25gigs of it.

Mainly for the purpose of spreading the word of your great little app! :D

I may even 'Mass Re-comment' all the ID3 tags on the MP3s and say it was verified using hkSFV and leave your URL. :wink:
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Oh god...don't even get me started on tagging and renaming my music library... :roll:

But good work on that though! :D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

How's this for a 'Comment' in the ID3 v2 tags of all my mp3s...
File Integrity verified with hkSFV.
http://big-o-software.com
:)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Quick question as well.. to Mark or Ryan.. or really anyone that can answer it.

Your program supports SFV and MD5, correct?

Are there any differences between the two file types? (besides the file extension..and maybe the OS on which they were originally created for.)

Any major advantages / disadvantages of using one over the other?

Cause I could provide MD5 files with all my Full Albums as well in addition to the SFVs stated in the other post.

Maybe just in case someone knows what an MD5 is... but not SFV. (although I find that doubtful)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

The short answer: MD5 is a better method for verifying your files, and I'd recommend it to most people. The only advantage to SFV is that is still more widely known, and its file format is more standardized.

The long answer: An SFV and an MD5 serve the exact same purpose, and the formats are almost identical. It's simply a different checksum algorithm (SFV's use crc32 and MD5's use .. md5 :) ). Neither of these has any extra capabilities, they both take the same amount of time to process, etc.

The only real difference between the two is that MD5s are significantly more accurate. SFV's will still tell you if your file has been changed 99.x% of the time, but MD5s are theoritically perfect (that is, no two files whose contents are the same should ever have the same MD5). Then again, there are an infinite number of files, and a finite number of MD5 checksum results (it's only a 128bit number), so it stands to reason that there are files with the same MD5 checksum.

Previously answered here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=1984
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Alright. thanks! I cant really decide which to choose.. so i'll just provide both file types (md5, and sfv) in every full album directory. :)