Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Scientists defy gravity with 'Spider-Man' gloves

Post by Big-O Mark »

Scientists defy gravity with 'Spider-Man' gloves

Monday, June 2, 2003

Reuters

LONDON, England -- Move over Spider-Man -- mere mortals may soon be coming to a ceiling near you.

Researchers at the University of Manchester say they have cracked the secret of one of the reptile world's greatest climbers, the gecko, and produced a sticky tape that can mimic the lizard's gravity-defying abilities.

Soon, people could walk on walls like comic-book superhero Spider-Man, the university said.

"The new adhesive -- gecko tape -- contains billions of tiny plastic fibres which are similar to natural hairs covering the soles of geckos' feet," the University said in a statement.

"The research team believes it won't be long before Spider-Man gloves become a reality."

Bob Full of Berkeley University in the U.S., who was also involved, said the technology could be used for handling computer chips and could have applications in medicine.

Plans are under way to produce larger pads and to improve the tape's durability, said the journal Nature Materials, which published the paper. But the University said cost was currently prohibitive.

"We have considered producing a large amount of gecko tape, sufficient amounts to enable a student to hang out of the window of a tall building," it said. "However it would cost too much money, and would not benefit us scientifically."
-Mark
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

HA! .. that's awesome! :D
MikeZed
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MikeZed »

All we need now is a web shooter and a Spiderman costume.

Everyone on the Big-O Software board are fucking dumbasses except MikeZed because he actually knows common sense.

Axilla is the gayest person on this board.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Cancer remains uncured.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?