My Windows2000 is junk!

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

My Windows2000 is junk!

Post by fuuucckkers »

I just felt like bitching in here..and maybe someone could help me too. But obviously i got Windows2000 SP3..all updates and crap..and it just doesnt want to work. It worked fine yesterday..I turned it off last night, and when I went to turn it on this morning, it just restarts itself into a gigantic loop or something..

It looks like the "Blue Screen of Death" (with some sort of error..obviously.) Im not really sure what it could be. My computer gets all the way to right before it goes to the desktop, that Win2000 screen, with the little blue bar(looks like blue blocks, of an install or something)...and then for like 1 second you see it flip to blue screen, and the computer restarts.. It does the repeatly..!! Aarrgg!! :evil: :evil:

Does anyone know what im talking about?? Can anyone help me?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Almost brings a tear to my eye. I love Windows 2000 as far as MS OSs go. In order to help you I really need to know what that BSOD says. Boot up in safe mode and go into your system properties > advanced > startup and recovery and uncheck the "automatically reboot" on error. Now restart in regular mode and write down the error. We'll get to the bottom of this.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

jester22c wrote:Almost brings a tear to my eye. I love Windows 2000 as far as MS OSs go. In order to help you I really need to know what that BSOD says. Boot up in safe mode and go into your system properties > advanced > startup and recovery and uncheck the "automatically reboot" on error. Now restart in regular mode and write down the error. We'll get to the bottom of this.

I would boot into Safe Mode if I could..but I cant. I have already tried, and it still restarts itself. I have also tryed Safe Mode with Network support, and Last Know Good Config. None of them work! :evil:
It keeps restarting itself.. but thanks for the suggestion anyways.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Oh...and I cant really do it now..but more of when I get home I can..im sitting in class right now. As for trying to fix it myself..I think if nothing works, I was going to try and use an old Windows98 startup disk and run Scandisk on my harddrive and see whats up..maybe it could fix it for me? :( :(
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Well if you can't even get into Safemode that's good and bad. Good in that I know it's not a drivers problem, meaning it is probably either hardware, registry, or boot files. Bad in that it is going to be a bit harder to see exactly what the error is. This may turn into a headache but see if you can see what the error is before it reboots... might take a few... no make that several times to be able to tell. I doubt scandisk will fix this but there is a slim chance in that it's your hdd that's the problem so go ahead and give it a whirl.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Yeah..that was my thinking as well.. I tryed this morning to get the errors out of it.. it looks like a bunch of random crap MS OS's always give..memory dump things like "E834Cw" or whatever..and I know I did see the word "error" . So yeah, I'll just let it run its cycle over and over, and try to catch the whole error, and write it down.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

xWastedMindx wrote:Yeah..that was my thinking as well.. I tryed this morning to get the errors out of it.. it looks like a bunch of random crap MS OS's always give..memory dump things like "E834Cw" or whatever..and I know I did see the word "error" . So yeah, I'll just let it run its cycle over and over, and try to catch the whole error, and write it down.

Yes the memory address for the dump is always given, but I'm more interested in the module or file that the error occured in. Have fun :roll:
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Jester! I figured out the main part of the error on the BSOD.

I was doing it for about 20 minutes..I got the words..
Contact your system admin...and it said something about registry.
It said something about Cannot load "something"

Im thinking my registry went corrupt on me... :( :( :(
zepplen

reinstall

Post by zepplen »

the easiest thing u can do it just reinstall win2000. u can do so w/o loosing all of your files. however u will loose most of your programs. The more complex way of dealing with it would be to try and boot your computer on boot disks, and try using some registry repare programs. however if you formatted your harddisk in to NTFS you will have an extreamly difficult time doing so. Good luck!
Mark :+)
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

The good news is that it could be much worse. It looks like you should be able to fix this without it costing you any cash, which is always nice. But before you go reinstalling anything always always try to repair. Do you have an ERD (emergency repair disk)? If yes then the fix should be pretty easy, look here for instructions. If you don't then I would try a system repair before completely reinstalling Windows. Pop in your Win2K cd and select "repair installation". If that doesn't work, then it looks like you'll have to reinstall which will mean you'll have to reinstall your drivers and some programs but there's no telling which ones till you try everything out.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well, I did try doing a system repair first..(im not that dumb) I was trying to save my stuff, so I didnt have to get it all again. But I really wanted to get back on here, and not wait 5 hours for it to do a system repair.
So I just reinstalled, I always take the easy way out. :wink:

Anyways.. Im back now, hopefully I wont have to do that again.. I need to go install all my drivers now, cause looking at this website with 16 colors is really starting to bother me..
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

wow that was really weird i have been having problems with win2k but it was because i upgraded from 98 a while ago it was mostly with programs though
tone
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Maybe it's time for us Windows users to upgrade to :o a Mac :o or even to Unix or Linux?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:Maybe it's time for us Windows users to upgrade to :o a Mac :o or even to Unix or Linux?
I will be soon switching over to Linux. I recently purchased the PowerPack Edition of Mandrake Linux 8.2. (7CD's-The 3 from their website, plus Commercial applications, bonus apps, 2 Source Code Cd's, Documentation Cd etc.). I am trying to work with it, get to like it, and then eventually, I will replace the Windows 98SE im using now with Linux. :D

On a side note..if anyone knows when Mandrake 9 will be going for sale.. let me know.. I have the 3 CD's from the website, but they dont install for some reason or another. So if anyone knows when version 9 hits commercial availability...post and let me know.