Switch?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

If you had the choice, would you switch to a Mac?

Yes
19%
No
69%
Maybe
6%
What's a Mac?
6%

Total votes: 16

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Switch?

Post by DADINK13 »

I can tell a lot of us out there are Windows users. I myself am running WinXP Pro SP1. But, for some of the things I'm gonna be doing in the future, a Power Mac is looking real enticing simply because they're virtually crash-proof. I have caused plenty of lock-ups on my machine due to compiling massive multitrack sessions in my digital audio editing software. So since I was thinking about this, maybe it was about time I asked the rest of the community: If you had the choice, would you switch to a Mac and why?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I would if they had better gaming and software choices. I mean, why would I switch to a MAC to play games, but have to wait about 6 months to a year for a PC game to get ported to MAC. More games with the same release date as the PC games, not 6 months later. And I would be all for it.
And the ONE major thing that would absolutely make me switch, is if MAC became an open standard. By that meaning a non-proprietary system. I like to play with the hardware, upgrade as I see fit, I dont want to be limited to only MAC standards. But yep..thats my 2-cents 8)
Matt

Post by Matt »

there is a program that you can put on your mac to run win programs...i dunno how powerful this is or not (gaming wise), but i do know it exists...

the main reason that i am not a mac user is that it costs a lot to get one. if they were cheap (or if i were rich), then i would switch in a heartbeat...as would anyone that i know...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:there is a program that you can put on your mac to run win programs...i dunno how powerful this is or not (gaming wise), but i do know it exists...
A friend of mine has something like that on his iMac running OS X. It's slow though--I belive it runs at the equivalent of a <gasp> 486/66!! :o
KooLTaB101 wrote:the main reason that i am not a mac user is that it costs a lot to get one. if they were cheap (or if i were rich), then i would switch in a heartbeat...as would anyone that i know...
They are expensive, that is the main problem. I guess you could look at a Mac the same way you would look at, say, a German car. They're both expensive. They're both worth the money in the long run--provided you have the money.

I've been doing lots of research into Macs lately, and what I've been reading is astonding. Performace-wise, they blow any Windows PC out of the water--even the lowest-end PowerBook G4. That little laptop will run circles around my custom-built P4 1.7.
xWastedMindx wrote:And the ONE major thing that would absolutely make me switch, is if MAC became an open standard. By that meaning a non-proprietary system.
Right there is your reason why Macs are ultra-stable. Since they are NOT an open standard, the writers of the OS can create an ultra-stable platform since Apple not only builds the machine, but writes the OS as well.
Don't get me wrong--I'm not advertising Macs. I love my PC more than anything. But sometimes you gotta break away from the masses.
Matt

Post by Matt »

DADINK13 wrote:
KooLTaB101 wrote:the main reason that i am not a mac user is that it costs a lot to get one. if they were cheap (or if i were rich), then i would switch in a heartbeat...as would anyone that i know...
They are expensive, that is the main problem. I guess you could look at a Mac the same way you would look at, say, a German car. They're both expensive. They're both worth the money in the long run--provided you have the money.
i dunno about you, but i'd perfer a german car over a mac...just because they are totally cool...but so are macs...so i guess its a win-win situation :lol:
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

i love windows, and plus windows is very popular....i think macs are weird just my opinon
tone
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

t0ne wrote:i love windows, and plus windows is very popular....i think macs are weird just my opinon
Well, my first computer was running MS-DOS 3 I belive it was. Didn't have Windows, so I was used to typing all my commands in the little C:\ prompt (btw, how many people out there still know what "C:\WINDOWS>cd\apps\word5" means?). When we got a new computer, it came with Windows 3.11 AND IBM OS/2 Warp preinstalled. Both were weird to me simply because I was so used to having to use the DOS commands for everything.
You can say the same about Macs--they're different, but they still do the same thing in essence. You just gotta have the desire to learn it I suppose.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

"C:\WINDOWS>cd\apps\word5"
Nothing as far as I know. I know the > is to send the output to a file.

ping www.big-o-software.com > c:\ping.txt

will put the results of a ping in a text file called ping.txt
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:Nothing as far as I know. I know the > is to send the output to a file.
First of all, no that's not what it means.
Okay here we go:

C:\WINDOWS> that's the active directory you'll see at the prompt
CD\APPS\WORD5 that's a command to change your active directory to APPS\WORD5

Basically, this is what you'll see as you type:
C:\WINDOWS>cd\apps\word5 (hit enter)
C:\APPS\WORD5> see how it changed?

Give it a try one day. bring up the run box, and type in "command" for Win95, Win98, and WinMe users, or type "cmd" for WinNT, Win2k, or WinXP users. And have fun! :D
Matt

Post by Matt »

you are both right...

dadink-you confused me when you had the '>' mark in the middle there...but yeah, i did know that it changed directorys like that...just wasn't used to your terminology...maybe a space after the > could have cleared it up...but i dunno

idejsecrofkrad-thats absolutely right

EDITED 272 times to add some corrections...lol
-Matt
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

DADINK13 wrote:
idejsecrofkrad wrote:Nothing as far as I know. I know the > is to send the output to a file.
First of all, no that's not what it means.
Okay here we go:

C:\WINDOWS> that's the active directory you'll see at the prompt
CD\APPS\WORD5 that's a command to change your active directory to APPS\WORD5

Basically, this is what you'll see as you type:
C:\WINDOWS>cd\apps\word5 (hit enter)
C:\APPS\WORD5> see how it changed?

Give it a try one day. bring up the run box, and type in "command" for Win95, Win98, and WinMe users, or type "cmd" for WinNT, Win2k, or WinXP users. And have fun! :D
Geez! I'm not an idiot! I've been using DOS for 10+ years. I just didn't realize that was intended to be the prompt. I thought that was some kind of command.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:Geez! I'm not an idiot! I've been using DOS for 10+ years. I just didn't realize that was intended to be the prompt. I thought that was some kind of command.
Heheheh, ok--we all make mistakes! :lol:
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

DADINK13 wrote:
idejsecrofkrad wrote:Geez! I'm not an idiot! I've been using DOS for 10+ years. I just didn't realize that was intended to be the prompt. I thought that was some kind of command.
Heheheh, ok--we all make mistakes! :lol:
Yep we do.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well, judging from the poll, it appears that people would rather stick with Windows than become a Mac user. That's understandable seeing how Windows does basically rule the world. Even so, it surprises me how many people refuse to even look at a Mac simply because "they don't play games." If you want to play games, get a PC, plain and simple. I guess you could say that it takes a certain person to realize the true potential of a Macintosh to decide to make the switch. For those people out there who are heavy into graphic art, 3D art, and digital audio understand how having a fast, stable platform is just as important as being able to do your work. So I suppose you could say that the switch is pretty obvious. Now if Microsoft would do like what Apple has done with OS X and build it on top of UNIX than maybe I wouldnt think quite so much about getting a PowerMac..:-?..but the odds of that happening are pretty much slim to none. :evil:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I would never choose a mac over a PC for the simple reason that I need my PC for many tasks that a mac would not suffice for. I would definately use in in addition to a PC if I had the money. They are powerful within their own spectrum but for most things a PC will still get the job done faster.

On a side note... command.com and cmd.exe both work on all win9X platforms.
:D