CHMOD Help?!

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

lunatic
Addict
Addict

CHMOD Help?!

Post by lunatic »

hey, been a long time since i came to this forum... any ways, i am making a new website and i downloaded a php script of a counter for the website. when i read the "read me" file it said to change the CHMOD to 775 or something like that, but i have no idea what that means, and if it means that i have to change something in my html... where do i put the code, head/body... plz help me, i'm a moron... and i already know that... for all of u who are going to post replies saying how stupid i am, drop it cuz i'm prolly smarter than u, just not w/ websites :-?
~LuNaTiC~
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It simply is the permissions. You need a FTP program to do this. I am not quite sure what the 775 code means, but if you use SmartFTP you can just right click on the file and and click CHMOD. Then just enter the number. The code means that : you can do anything, you friends can do anything (this mostly is set by hosts for like you, customer 1 and customer 2 type thing and the public can excute and read the file.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

CHMOD 775 means change the directory permissions (whatever directory it was talking about...) to:

Owner:
[X] Read
[X] Write
[X] Execute

Group:
[X] Read
[X] Write
[X] Execute

Public:
[X] Read
[ ] Write
[X] Execute

Notice Public does not have permission to write to the directory. You can make these changes in several ways, but the easiest for you is probably via your FTP program (You can't do this through IE).

Good luck with the site.
:D
lunatic
Addict
Addict

Post by lunatic »

umm.... can i do it with ws-ftp cuz i tried downloading SmartFTP, but it keeps giving me errors and it wont let me download the program... so is it possible for me to work with it in ws-ftp? :?:
~LuNaTiC~
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I have no idea I've never heard of ws-FTP before. Just look in the program and see. Try connecting to your host, right clicking on the folder you need to CHMOD and see if there is either CHMOD or permissions option under the right click context menu. Any decent FTP program should do CHMOD changes, but like I said I've never heard of the program you're using.
:D
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ya you can do it with WS FTP. You just have to check the boxes Jester said. WS FTP does not allow you to enter the numbers.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

PhaseDMA wrote:WS FTP does not allow you to enter the numbers.
I use WS_FTP Pro 7.62, and it does allow it. But there's check boxes as well. ;)
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Okay.. WS FTP LE does not allow to do it with numbers. They like to take out the useful but not needed features in LE.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Ah, my bad...good to know. :cheesy:
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig