HAL 2.0

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

HAL 2.0

Post by DADINK13 »

All of the hardware I'm gonna get for my new computer is now available--including the motherboard. All I have to do now is wait until I have enough credit on my Discover to get it all...lol. :roll:

(note: all hard drives have 8Mb cache--newegg.com has them in OEM form for a good price)
Here's what I've got:
Soyo SY-P4I875P DRAGON 2 Platinum Edition (more pictures here)
Intel P4 2.8GHz "Northwood" processor (supports 800MHz fsb)
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LLPT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreaders.Retail
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum (Model SB0240P) - RETAIL
ASUSTeK AGP-V8460 GeForce4 Ti 4600
WD WESTERN DIGITAL 200GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD2000JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Sony 52x CD-ROM
TDK veloCD 40x12x48x
ZIP-100
PANASONIC 1.44 MB 3.5 INCH HIGH DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, MODEL # JU-256A798P - OEM, DRIVE ONLY
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard - OEM
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Koolance PC2-601W modifed from FrozenCPU.com with 200G CPU cooler, two copper chipset coolers, and switch for cold cathodes installed on side of case

Some of that hardware is coming out of my current computer, like the mouse, 3D card, monitor, printer, scanner, and the rest of my gaming perefirals. It's costing me a pretty penny, but it's well worth it in the long run. :D
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

what is the total cost of all of it. I am wondering since I am serisly thinking about have a friend help build me one this summer.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

What do you need 400GB of hard disk space for?
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

wat vid card u gettin?
intellimouse optical kix ass, 2bad thres no wireless version..
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Master Jedi wrote:What do you need 400GB of hard disk space for?
Audio files take up a lot of space. Since audio production is what Carl likes to do with his spare time, I'm sure a lot of those gigabytes are going to audio files
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

harra wrote:
Master Jedi wrote:What do you need 400GB of hard disk space for?
Audio files take up a lot of space. Since audio production is what Carl likes to do with his spare time, I'm sure a lot of those gigabytes are going to audio files
Exactly. The 80Gb drive is gonna be a FAT32 partition soley for audio. Working with a ripped DVD with 48000Hz audio at 32-bit resolution, the multiple undo levels that Cool Edit Pro can due literally writes a new version of the file each time. So imagine working with a 1200Mb file with six levels on undo and you'll understand why I chose such a large drive. I chose all 8mb cache drives due to high-performace. The 200Gb drive is the system drive, for all apps and the OS. The 120Gb drive is for games. With some games that take up easily 3Gb each, the space is needed.
Robpol86 wrote:wat vid card u gettin?
I'm pulling my current 3D card from my current computer. An ASUSTeK AGP-V8460 GeoForce4 Ti 4600. Using the Koolance case, I'm gonna liquid-cool it so if I need to/want to, I can overclock it considerably. :twisted:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

So you want to give me the left over pieces from HAL 1.x? :cheesy:

oh... didnt think so...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

PhaseDMA wrote:So you want to give me the left over pieces from HAL 1.x? :cheesy:
lol....I was gonna put them on eBay, but then I mentioned something to my sister, and now I'm gonna use the leftover parts from the old computer for her new one. Her exact words were "Will it run The Sims well?" :lol:
PhaseDMA wrote:oh... didnt think so...
It's always the thought that matters. :wink:
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

You should really forget those EIDE controller cards on your Mobo and find one that supports S-ATA ..
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:You should really forget those EIDE controller cards on your Mobo and find one that supports S-ATA ..
All my hard drives are EIDE. And right now it's still cheaper to get a large-capacity EIDE hard drive than a SATA hard drive with the same performace. It's got the SATA channels (four of them) for when I find I need and/or want a SATA drive. I'm getting an 80Gb EIDE hard drive with 8Mb cache for $82. I'm getting a 200Gb drive with 8Mb cache for $195. The cheapest SATA drive I can find that's 80Gb with 8Mb cache is $117. I think I'd rather save those $20-some-odd dollars.

That motherboard has four EIDE channels (for up to eight independent devices, six if using the RAID), and four Serial-ATA channels. So technically I can have twelve devices using that one motherboard. My only annoyance about the motherboard is that I have to use that "Sigma Box" that it comes with. But it's kinda neat though--has a built-in flash card reader.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Man this is really making me want to build a new computer..........

I must make my self wait until Xmas so I have time to learn what I will be needing and what the industy I going into uses.

Dadink I suprises that you did no opt for buying a mac though. Those computer are the best for adio and video editing...
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Timelessblur wrote:Dadink I suprises that you did no opt for buying a mac though. Those computer are the best for adio and video editing...
Quite simple really. Not enough money to spend $2500 on a new PowerMac, buy the $1000 monitor, and then new software (like Cubase, Pro Tools, etc...). I'm spending about $2000 I'm guessing, but I have all the software I need (Windows, Office, etc...).

Plus....I wanna play games too. Not many of the games I have are PC/Mac CDs.

But I do want a Mac....
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

DADINK13 wrote:Quite simple really. Not enough money to spend $2500 on a new PowerMac, buy the $1000 monitor...
Well, the lowest end dual-processor Mac (which is really nice) is only $2000, and a 17-inch flat panel is only $700.

But I see your point, it's still quite pricey, and having to get new software makes it even pricier. And the game thing, too. (Although, aside from puzzle games which you can find for any computer, I only play two other games -- Starcraft and The Sims -- and I hardly ever play them, anyway, so I don't care much about the games issue.)

Probably best to wait a while to get a Mac, anyway. 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC 970's should be out by the end of the year, and I'd just wait for one of those, anyway. ;)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Michael wrote:Well, the lowest end dual-processor Mac (which is really nice) is only $2000, and a 17-inch flat panel is only $700.
Wal-Mart is selling KDS brand 17 inch Flat Panel monitors for about $400 :)
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Robpol86 wrote:wat vid card u gettin?
intellimouse optical kix ass, 2bad thres no wireless version..
Logitech does sell wireless optical mice. Try Bestbuy or Wal-Mart.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image