Some help upgrauding XP home to XP pro

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Some help upgrauding XP home to XP pro

Post by Timelessblur »

Hey I want to upgraud my lap top from XP home to XP pro. I was looking at the cost of doing this at best buy when I started looking at system requements
Additional Requirements: Keyboard and DVD decoder card or DVD decoder software
Full version of Windows 98SE, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows NT Workstation 4.0 or Windows 2000 Professional
My quetion is could I just buy that upgraud and put it on my computer or do I need to buy the full edition and install it on my computer?

What is you all take on this
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

buy the upgrade.. it's cheaper, and it's still the full version.

the only reason it's cheaper is because they make you verify your other version already installed with a second CD-Key.. which proves you own the other OS which you are upgrading.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i heard that win98 upgrades are missing files which are in the previous version of the os (win95 in this matter). dunno if it was true at all or just with win9x?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Robpol86 wrote:i heard that win98 upgrades are missing files which are in the previous version of the os (win95 in this matter). dunno if it was true at all or just with win9x?
It's not true. My dad purchased the Win98se upgrade. (even though I had a legal OEM copy of my own) :roll:

There's no Noticable difference between the upgrade and full versions.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:buy the upgrade.. it's cheaper, and it's still the full version.

the only reason it's cheaper is because they make you verify your other version already installed with a second CD-Key.. which proves you own the other OS which you are upgrading.
so what I have to put in my orginal CDkey from XP home??? (which would mean I would be fucked because I dont have my orgainal CDkey since I lost all the cds that came with my computer they got thown away by mistake..........)
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

no i think the upgrade comes w/ its own cdkey
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I figure the upgraud came with it own cdkey but wasted said it stand I had to enter a seacond Cdkey (which I figure was from the orginal OS on my computer)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

You have to enter in both CD-Keys. From the Upgrade CD, and the original Previous OS CD. (So in my dads case -- the Win95 CD-Key, and the Win98se Upgrade CD-Key)

That's the way M$ verifies you actually have the previous OS to which you are upgrading. Otherwise everyone could go out and just purchase the upgrades for $100 instead of full versions for $300, and M$ would be loosing some serious money.

That's also how their able to mark the price down considerably, since you already own one, just upgrading to a newer one..they're able to keep things a bit cheaper.
Timeslessblur wrote:which would mean I would be fucked because I dont have my orgainal CDkey since I lost all the cds that came with my computer they got thown away by mistake.
Well, in your case.. you can still get CD-Keys from other methods :roll:
I don't think it really matters which Key you use. It just wants to verify an old key with a new key.

But if you don't want to do that.. it's pretty much as you put it. You're screwed...and you might just want to go drop another $300 on a Full Version Cd. Or if you can find an OEM retailer, might be able to get it cheaper.
Last edited by fuuucckkers on Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well that means I am *beep* since I dont have my oringal CDs any more duh to them getting thown away be mistake. (the wrong box was thown away when my computer came in. The 2 box look exactly the same :( )
So I guessing my only opatoin now it to just go out and buy the full versoin of it.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

in some digging around I though of looking on the bottom of my laptop at the microsoft sticker. Would the Produckt Key (v2w6v....) be the same thing as my CD key?
(forgive me I am a little clueless on this part and I just want to make sure)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:in some digging around I though of looking on the bottom of my laptop at the microsoft sticker. Would the Produckt Key (v2w6v....) be the same thing as my CD key?
(forgive me I am a little clueless on this part and I just want to make sure)
Not too sure. If it's 15 Alpha-Numeric characters, then I'd go ahead and try it.

If you really need some XP CD-Keys I can give you some.. Hehe.
I found a whole bunch of them on some Angelfire Website, I downloaded the entire page before it got removed for illegally posting things :roll:
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

II try it since it does look like a cd key. If that does not work I ask for one. I going to buy XP pro next week on my day off then install it
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

how odd, when i installed win98, the win98 cd was an upgrade and the computer had win95 previously intalled. it didnt ask me for the 95 cdkey, only 98

this is 98se and 95 OSR1