/me posting this using Linux

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

/me posting this using Linux

Post by fuuucckkers »

Yes, you read that right... I'm using Linux now :cheesy:

Well.. to learn it anyway. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 that I downloaded last night. 3 CDs.
I'm browsing the internet with Mozilla.
Seems vaguely similar to IE. :o

I think I'll go with Opera though.. as I have that on my WinBlows machine.. and i like it better.
As for speed, things load fast. The internet seems fast as hell.

I think I may switch to Linux completely once I get the hang of it :P
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Cool. I wish I had more room on my desk for another computer so I could use linux.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

does linux still uses arrows and the point and click stuff???? what is it gui like
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

The GUI is much like Windows.

Personally, I think Linux is highly overrated. I use it, and I don't like it. It has some strange quirks that keep it unfriendly. I'll stick with Mac OS X, thanks. :) It's practically the same thing but much more friendly and more compatible with things.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:does linux still uses arrows and the point and click stuff???? what is it gui like
This is pretty much what it looks like.

http://www.tuxreports.com/modules.php?s ... _album.php

All the screens appear to be taken within the KDE gui. I prefer the Gnome gui myslef.. but it's a all preference really.
Michael wrote:It has some strange quirks that keep it unfriendly.
How so?? What quirks?

EDIT -- Heres' some better screen shots:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fscreenshots.php3
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:How so?? What quirks?
Well, for one thing, on Linux, a lot of software comes only as source code and you need to compile it, which is a pain in the ass. (On Mac OS X, most code comes as the app and the source code, so you still get the source code without having to compile anything.) You also have weird issues with permissions, especially when using floppy disks. I've found on some Linux systems you have to be logged in as root to copy anything to a floppy drive. Also, at least on Red Hat, applications can be stored in some places, and you get a lot of redundant apps. I've also had trouble emailing from Linux systems, in that I send an email and it is not delivered for another 12-24 hours. I've also had numerous issues connecting to FTP servers, which I don't have in Mac OS X. I used Linux for a while and I still do a bit, but I like OS X a lot more because it looks better, is organized better, and is a robust Unix OS without all the compatibility issues and "quirky" problems of Linux.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Michael wrote:
x Wasted Mind x wrote:How so?? What quirks?
Well, for one thing, on Linux, a lot of software comes only as source code and you need to compile it, which is a pain in the ass. (On Mac OS X, most code comes as the app and the source code, so you still get the source code without having to compile anything.) You also have weird issues with permissions, especially when using floppy disks. I've found on some Linux systems you have to be logged in as root to copy anything to a floppy drive. Also, at least on Red Hat, applications can be stored in some places, and you get a lot of redundant apps. I've also had trouble emailing from Linux systems, in that I send an email and it is not delivered for another 12-24 hours. I've also had numerous issues connecting to FTP servers, which I don't have in Mac OS X. I used Linux for a while and I still do a bit, but I like OS X a lot more because it looks better, is organized better, and is a robust Unix OS without all the compatibility issues and "quirky" problems of Linux.
Well... most of those just sound like personal problems you had with Linux yourself. You can't judge Linux as a whole because of that.
I'm using Mandrake (not RedHat)..and I love it. It looks great, it's organized fairly well. But that's just because I'm not use to it, I'm more familiar with Winows organizational methods. I've seen better reviews with Mandrake for 'ease of use' and 'installation' than most other Linux Distros.
I can copy and paste things into Floppy's just fine.. maybe it was the way your permissions were set with RedHat.

Also..that's another thing, with Mandrake there are no permissions of the sort. Well, it could be that I'm set up as a Workstation Client, and not on the Server side of things....

Lastly.. it's kind of a contradiction?(not sure if that's the right word) to say that Mac OS X is a Robust Unix OS...and not say the same thing about other Linux Distros. They've all been around a long time, they're all damn powerful, and full of features. Granted Mac has been around probably a tad bit longer than most Linux distros.. so it's got a bit more experience.
And their all built on UNIX. Hence the *nix name in all the names. (with the exception of Mac OS X ..it's name wanted to be different, without the *nix.)

I just think maybe you should try something other than RedHat before you start Dissin' Linux... and maybe you'll see things a bit more clearly. :)
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Macnix would sound too funny for an OS. Cool screenname though.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

kewl thing bout linux is that the os can fit on a floppy. and u can mount ntfs drives and get those sam files and get passwords for xp/2k :twisted:
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I have a feeling that is easyer to switch bettween Windows and Mac OS X because they are pretty simmler in looks and how they work in general. Since Windows GUI was pretty much a copy of the Mac GUI. I guessing Linux runs quite a bit diffent that Mac and Windows which run pretty simmler in looks
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

well actually, the old windows gui (was it 311?) is a copy of the mac gui. i dont like macs only cuz i cant build one, but i may b wrong. and cuz they WERE unstable. now its based on unix so i have 2 take that back
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Well the old windows was also very unstables 2. Back then the only sable OS that was in uses was DOS. Since then Mac surpased Windows by a lot. (windows did nto stand a chance of catching up until Windows NT (which XP and 2000 are built on) 95-ME where Built apond DOS I believe which made them unstable.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Xerox created windows.... They also created the mouse... Windows was stolen, while the mouse was passed off as stupid.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Ok apple bought the rights to the GUI from Xroex and from there improve oppon it. Bill Gates had seen the Apple GUI before it came out (I think he help a little on it) He thought it was a good idea and he started working on it for PC. So basicly Gates stole it from Apple and then he used his control of the PC market OS with DOS to become a gaint with windows
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:[linux stuff snip]
Well, you're probably right. But I didn't like the way the file system is organized, and I still contend that the meta-data features of the HFS+ file system are so much superior to UFS and FAT32/NTFS. My biggest problem with Linux is the compatibility issue; it's hard to make it work with a lot of hardware and software, which can be a problem. (Or, at least in America it is; if you go to Germany, for instance, Linux has a much bigger user base.)