killing time will installing Windows XP pro

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

killing time will installing Windows XP pro

Post by Timelessblur »

Yeah I just bought the upgraud to windows XP pro from my home edetoin. Right now it is on the installing windows part. I have offinal determaned Instating an OS is a pain in the ass. I been doing the upgraud from home install of a fresh install. First I have a corruppet file and I have to reboot into home and just start it over. Now it just got an error code. All I can say is it a pain in the ass. I am worryed that something going ot mess up big time. Big time with that error that just came up (it restart the iinstall.) worse case is I going ot have to reformate my lap top and just install the copy clean. well crap it came up agian. Well if it comes up a few more times tonight I just going to give it up take it over to a friends house and have him help me..... (I pain 200 bucks for the upgraus and it not working right) Well a least I was smart enough to back all the files important to me on to a cd (hell I made a back up of my back up just in case)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

ok it got past the error code spot this time. now it has 34 more min to go
Matt

Post by Matt »

hope it all works out....
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

so do I so do I. Right now it tellimg me I have 2 min to go and it is in Finaling instation. when it all done I going to have to hook the laptop up to the net to active my new OS. Either way it made it past there error

(updatet it 1 min left)
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

How does XP activation really work? i never had to deal with it.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Well I just finish everthing up atication and all. From what I guessing is after 30 days if you have not actived you OS it will stop working. it is among some of the serceryt feature microsoft is starting to add to there software to prevent people from piriting htere stuff I think. Now my problem is internet explore icon is missing
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

insomica wrote:How does XP activation really work? i never had to deal with it.
It takes your information and the CD-Key, and sends it to their database. It verifies your information with the database to make sure no one else has your CD-Key and/or Information. (Remember, only one copy per computer according to their liscence).

Also as Timeless said, if you don't activate your OS within a somewhere of a 30 day period, your OS will basically deactivate itself and you then have to CALL Microsoft, and you have to prove to them you actually purchased the software. From there I assume they can give you an activation code of somesort to get it working again.

Much more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.
You could just download the ISO from the internet with an already "patched" activation -- or just get the Pro version, and you don't need to worry about it at all, considering the Pro doesn't need activation.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

are you stay XP pro does not need to be activated because that just what I actived was XP pro.

(the cd it came on look really cool with all sortas of cool holograms on it)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:are you stay XP pro does not need to be activated because that just what I actived was XP pro
I really have no idea, as I'm still running Win98 . But I'm just going from what people have told me.. I guess my friends don't need to because they use a "fixed" version of the OS. :roll:
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i have a direct CD copy of XP pro and i use it all the time.... never requires registration....... it just recommends it.

Your not forced to do that stuff unless you install service pack 2..... but as long as you dont do that, your fine

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Plasma2002b wrote:Your not forced to do that stuff unless you install service pack 2..... but as long as you dont do that, your fine
<sarcasm>
But then what will you ever do without all those Critical updates and Fixes that M$ puts out?!??

You might get attacked by Malicious Coders / Hackers that M$ fears so much of.... :roll:
</sarcasm>