Internet explore icon is missing

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Internet explore icon is missing

Post by Timelessblur »

Yeah my internet explore Icon is miss from my desktop and all my short cuts I had to it are missing. My quetion how can I get them back on my computer. I know I still have explore on my laptop since I am using it right now to make this post. Any help would be nice
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

For your IE icon.. goto Tools, Internet Options -- from there the Advanced Tab.

It's under the section called Browsing.
'Show Internet Explorer on the Desktop'

It's the second to last option under that Browsing section. Right before they ask about how you want your Hyperlink options set. :)
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

no luck not even an opatoin. I may just take my laptop over to a friends house and let him firgure it out. All I know is it a pain in the ass have to force Explore open though AIM.

(WTF anything to do with Microfot explore and my Outlook express is missing to. It was there before I install XP pro. Now this sotta piss me off. Paying 200 buck for a program and then some stuff is missing)
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

You have XP, right?

I'm on OS X right now but I think you do this:
  1. Right-click on desktop and go to properties.
  2. Click the desktop tab
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced... or some button like that.
  4. There you can select what icons you what to show on your desktop.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well I firgure out what it was. The admistion setting messed up a little. I firgure it out by dumb luck while i was trying to firgure out how to uninstall hte second copy of Window XP pro that got put on my computer (that copy is more likely the first but it has a corupted file so it never fully installed) either way I still looking for a way to remove it because I could really uses the HD space for my stuff
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

Pah! Just Reformat! :D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

kjwalker wrote:Pah! Just Reformat! :D
Exactly! I like to reformat. Heheh.
Actually, just last night, I had to repartition and reinstall the OS because I screwed it up pretty bad by playing with some settings.. :oops:

Somehow or another the file type associations got screwed up to whereas when I tried opening a folder, (eg, Trash, Home) it was trying to open it with the program I associated a file with. So the folder wouldn't open and it tossed up an error. Strang I tell you. -- I got sick of it so I just reinstalled -- upon reinstalling you have to redo the partition tables as well.. which I suppose reformats at the same time, but they don't tell you it's doing it
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

ah you see I never refomated and I considering doing. The thing I dont like about reformating it I have to reinstall everything. Now on the tower my dad refortmat it once and i got left with the duty of reinstalling everything but the OS. And since then it be refortate at least once by gateway just that time I did not have to reinstalling some of the software but anything I add since we got the computer I had to reinstall (still hated it). and providing the computer gets done in the next day or so I get to reinstall all of our software for a 4th time.

but I may do it later this summer if I can not figure out how the hell to get off the second copy of XP pro. Just it do a full install of XP pro over XP pro LOL
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Oh the beauty of a restore disk... 10 mins later and the virus is gone... and the computer is fresh!
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

PhaseDMA wrote:Oh the beauty of a restore disk... 10 mins later and the virus is gone... and the computer is fresh!
Yeah, but when you build your own comptuers.. you don't get the beauty of a Restore Disk. :|
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:Oh the beauty of a restore disk... 10 mins later and the virus is gone... and the computer is fresh!
Yeah, but when you build your own comptuers.. you don't get the beauty of a Restore Disk. :|
Yes, but there is a nice little program called DriveImage from PowerQuest. It lets you create an image of your harddrive on a separate partition and then you can restore back to that image any time you want. It's better than a system restore disk because you can create a new image before you do something "iffy" (i.e. install a program you aren't sure how it will impact your system) and if it craps out your system, you just go back to the old version of your computer.

I used to have diskettes that were network boot disks for each of my different branded NIC cards so that I could log into a network computer and it will allow the software to put the image on a network share (it runs in DOS mode so you have to use the old DOS commands to map a share to use).

I believe Symantec creates a similar type program called Ghost, but back when I started using DriveImage, Ghost was far inferior to DriveImage. I don't know how that stack up now