BMP
7%

Total votes: 15

insomica
Addict
Addict

What image format do you like best?

Post by insomica »

Please say why you like it better then the others. (filesize and/or quailty) If there is a format that is not listed that you like please tell us what it is.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Daniel
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Daniel »

GIF = Good for internet graphics/webpage graphics
JPEG/JPG = Good for photos from a digital camera...
PNG = Very good quality ...very small file size... but some browsers just.. dont like PNG's
BMP = Good quality.. Too large of a file size

I have to say I like GIF's better... Plus.. you can make animated gifs.. so, yepp
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Just about the only time I use GIF format is for animated graphics. I'm a big JPG fan..lol.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I like jpeg the best because it a good balnce bettween quitly and file size
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

JPG ... but starting to lean toward PNG for it's alpha transparency that GIF doesn't support.
Also.. GIF has been in controversy for years because it's compression methods are patented and the owner is seeking royalties, wheras PNG is open standard and free to use. :)
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I saw on TechTV or somewhere else that when it comes to imaging (i.e. digital photography) you want to use TIFF images. The same article stated that the less compression the higher the quality of image because data isn't "lost" when compressed. I'm not sure if it's true, but it makes sense :) I also know that we do a lot of OCR work for my company and they scan all the files into TIFF images before OCR'ing them. I was told it had something to do with image quality. But you pay a HUGE price in file size for image quality
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote: The same article stated that the less compression the higher the quality of image because data isn't "lost" when compressed. I'm not sure if it's true, but it makes sense :)
You are correct. A file format such as JPG which allows compression is considered a lossy format. The more you up the compression to reduce file size, the more image quality you'll lose in the process.
There really is no win / win situation.... either you have a big file, or you have a somewhat to terribly degraded image.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I guess image quality is only an really big issue if you are wanting to make nice, blown-up copy of your favorite digital image. The more data that is lost due to compression, the more grainy the picture.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote:I guess image quality is only an really big issue if you are wanting to make nice, blown-up copy of your favorite digital image. The more data that is lost due to compression, the more grainy the picture.
Not always the case though. With Adobe Photoshop you can reduce the image size considerably and still keep the picture nice and clean with out degrading it too much. Or at least not too much for anyone to really notice.

You just have to tweak those settings just right with your favorite image editor :)
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i like png best (followed by jpg) basically because of higher quality. and form what ive seen, it worked on all browsers, form ie5 to mozilla
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

i voted for jpeg mainly because it's so common and allows multiple degrees of compression...png is a close second because it offers better quality compression at about the same filesize as a jpeg but its just not as widely used...yet...so i stick with jpeg.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Depends some stuff I like in to get in the full file fomate (like my friends jessi drawings). After I get them a lot of the time I make a copy of the file in jpg for the uses on my screen saver and faster loading but it aways looks the best in it uncomplesest file formate so when I really want to look at the pics I open up the uncompressed verson but for screen saver and back ground uses I uses Jpg
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:Depends some stuff I like in to get in the full file fomate (like my friends jessi drawings). After I get them a lot of the time I make a copy of the file in jpg for the uses on my screen saver and faster loading but it aways looks the best in it uncomplesest file formate so when I really want to look at the pics I open up the uncompressed verson but for screen saver and back ground uses I uses Jpg
Alright... sorry to say Timeless. Most of the time I can understand what you say, but this time I am completely stumped. Somewhere in between your lack of punctuation... and your incoherent rambling? I got lost...

No offense intended. Maybe you can try to use more punctuation in your sentances.. to make it easier on us all :D
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Harra are TIFF bigger the BMP? What would be better to use BMP or TIFF.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

PNG: It's very high quality (as good as JPEG), better compression, and supports transparency. Fully integrated on the Mac OS and most browsers (except IE, but no Mac users use IE anymore), so I don't have a problem with viewing them online.