DSL Modems

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

insomica
Addict
Addict

DSL Modems

Post by insomica »

I have 2 DSL Modems. I got them when I thought I could get DSL in my area. I never shiped them back because they would not reinburst me for the month of service they charged. That was about a year ago. Now I think there is DSL service in my area. Is there any way I can sign on using the DSL modem? When I tried to use the modem the first time I did not have to enter a username or password so I think I don't need an account to use the modem. Am I right or wrong? Can they track the use of the modem? Well I know they can but can they tell I don't have an account?
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

A DSL modem is just like a cable box... With out being a customer you can't get service.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

You should need a username/password...

At any rate, no, I doubt you can without paying for the service.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have two DSL modems?
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Well, We signed up from one service from earthlink. Then we found out we could get it because we where to far away. They did not say we had to send the modem back so we did not. Then someone from SBC (southwestern bell) call my mom and said we could get it. But then we could not. They did not ask to send the modem back so again we did not. I

I am getting cable without paying for it. But no cable box.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Cable companys are so slack...or so I hear. My friend has "basic" cable and gets HBO and I have basic also and I dont. I feel like I should complain...but I really don't care considering he tapes the movies and gets them to me free ;)
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I dont think you could do it with the DLS modems since first the phone compiny needs to be sending a DSL singal to you house so you modem can pick it up (that how it works here) then when you log in they check you pass word and all that stuff then they give you a IP address for the time you are on the net. Now there is a trick to get free basic cable when you get a cable modem and pay for that. First you take a like plitter then the one of the lines you plug in to the modem and the other line goes to a TV and you have basic cable for you TVs
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

I agree with everyone else. It won't work. But I'm the type of person that would try anyway. Worst case scenario: it doesn't work.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Na. I'm not going to try it. I got a NIC and 2 CAT5 Cables. And 2 long phone cords. heh. Does netzero still offer free DSL?. Does anyone offter free DSL?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

insomica wrote:Na. I'm not going to try it. I got a NIC and 2 CAT5 Cables. And 2 long phone cords. heh. Does netzero still offer free DSL?. Does anyone offter free DSL?
NetZero never offered free DSL.. it was free Dial Up.
I used to use them like 5 years ago when they first emerged as a new company. Completely free, no hourly/monthly limits. Just a banner thingy at the bottom or top (whichever you preferred).
Then it went to 40 hours a month.. then to 10. That's when I stopped using it. :|
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

winfire (or freedsl.com) use to give out free dsl. and really cheap dsl for faster speeds. it kicked ass (sadly i didnt get it but my friend did, alot better than 56k) sadly, they went outa business.... but my friend ended up w/ a free dsl modem (the size of a deck of cards)
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:Cable companys are so slack...or so I hear. My friend has "basic" cable and gets HBO and I have basic also and I dont. I feel like I should complain...but I really don't care considering he tapes the movies and gets them to me free ;)
back when i still lived in corpus, i had twc w/ rr (rr 0wnz). i had basic cable and sumhow, i started getting free hbo, showtime, and starz. sadly, i had 2 move to this lame ass town....
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Geez... I thought getting the free HBO was freak accident... It seems like 1 in 10 get it from this thread :o .
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

I get NetZero Platinum (no banner ad/no limits) for absolutely nothing. :D
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.