Corrupte Medi file or something

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Corrupte Medi file or something

Post by Timelessblur »

I am trying to reinstall my Star fleet command game on my laptop (I uninstalled and then reinstalled it to change my CDkey long story). Well now when I install it states sayins I have a corrupt I/0 Media file. I tryed doing a system restory point I had made yestday. I do that and the game this it is reinstalled but I can not run it because it telling me there an error. Ok so I uninstall it again no big deal. Nope I can not do that because the instation program is missing so it can not uninstall it. I also check add/remove software and the game is not in there to remove. How would i go about removing this game and getting it back on my computer or just plan getting it back on my computer though these error.

I was thinking to delet the folder manual but I know that leave an enter mess in the registy that can make matter worse. I need to get this problem fix.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well, you could delete the entries from the registry. Once you delete the folder in Program Files.

If you feel uncomfortable about deleting Registry Keys, then I would suggest you don't do it.

But hell... if you want to turn on Administrative Remote Access and let me login to your laptop. hehe... I could do it for you. :wink:

I know about the registry and how to go about deleting things. :)
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Well I tryed a few other tricks that I know (like going into the cd and telling it to just reinstall the game skipping the uninstall part ect). I still geting an I/O error. The wording of the error is
I/O error
This is normaly cause by either a incorrectly install/corrupted media file or a corupted Installton file. that and it telling me that my install log is missing (what ever that means).

I may just bit the bullect and reformate my hard drive as soon as I figure out how to make my XP pro upgraud cd do that for me. I tryed it earily and it wanted to partition my drive and it refused to update. All I can say it thank god for system restored because it removed a 3 OS my BIOS was detecting (XP pro, XP pro (Orginal)----this one has a corrupted inslatoin file so I dont uses it and XP pro setup. ) the sytem restore remove the setup one but I could not get it to reformate and get it to do a clean install of everything
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote: I'm still geting an I/O error. The wording of the error is: I/O error -- This is normally caused by either a incorrectly install/corrupted media file or a corrupted Installation file. That and it's telling me that my install log is missing (what ever that means).
From my understanding an I/O error is an Input / Output error. That would be moreso speaking of Hardware. Specifically the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) I could be wrong.. but that's my best guess.

Also.. if you have corrupted files on the harddrive, and you're tring to reinstall over top of them, it wont work.

When I was taking those computer college classes my teacher was telling me about how Windows just leaves the corrupted files in place if you just try to reinstall over top. There's a special DOS command line you have to enter for it to replace the corrupted files.

Although this was back when Windows 98 was on our computers. Not XP.
You don't really have the choice of running DOS commands with XP... :|
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I was thinking a full reformat of my HD should fix the problem. If it from my BOIS some heads will role since I can trace it back to only 1 of 2 programs that did this. either SFC3 or DeadAIM because those are the only 2 programs I have unintalled and install reciencely. (I am leaning towards SFC3 just because it a much larger program)

But if I reformat my HD it will not fix the problem???

I will get a screen shot of it up later.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

here is a pick of the 2 errors. On is the unistall error I am getting the other is the one I get when I try to install
Attachments
new bitmap image.jpg
new bitmap image.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 1581 times