Ooops... Apple Leaks New PowerMac Specs

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Ooops... Apple Leaks New PowerMac Specs

Post by Michael »

Someone who runs the Apple website made a boo-boo last night. Specifically, they leaked the specs of the new PowerMacs. (I saved the image but it was taken down less than 20 minutes after it was posted -- the Apple Store went down for maintenance for about a half hour afterwards. I have the real pic if anyone wants it, but I won't post it here -- if Apple finds it, they might get on Big-O's case about having it posted on their forums.)

Anyway, here are the specs:
Up to 2 2.0-GHz PowerPC G5 64-bit processors
1GHz processor bus

Up to 8GB RAM
Fast Serial ATA hard drives
AGP 8x graphics
3 PCI or PCI-X slots
Three USB 2.0 ports
1 FW 800, 2 FW 400 ports
BlueTooth and AirPort Extreme
Optical and analog audio in and out
Not bad...processing capabilities are nice. For all the PC users busting on the PowerMac's slow bus speed...top 1GHz. :-P

In all fairness, it's unknown whether these are true or not, but Apple's site was not "hacked," so someone internally did it. Maybe some things will not reach production, but many believable rumours have circulated (even before) that the bus speed will be very fast (and 1GHz is fast!) and that dual 2.0 GHz processor machines will probably be available. (What is known is that the G5 is supposed to have a "double-pumped" 450MHz FSB -- basically, a 900 MHz FSB, at the very least.)

I'm salivating...that's one hell of a workhorse of a computer, right there! Hope it indeed makes it to production!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

What is PCI-X ?
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

PCI Xpress, a combination of AGP and PCI with a higher bandwidth for both.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

<drools>
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Man if I had one of those with Apples swank cinema screen lcds.... I don't think I'd ever go outside again. Video editing heaven...
:D
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i personally dont like macs, but DAMN 1 GHz BUS! and i thought intel northbridge had a fast bus... damn, dual 64-bit procs, thats actually very nice
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Macs are sweet for specific purposes. I don't think I'd use one for an all around system (especially not for gaming ;)) but for video/graphics work (which I do alot of)... HooRah
Matt

Post by Matt »

DADINK13 wrote:<drools>
ditto...

DAMN that looks awesome!
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I heard some where that the new mac chips run hot and they pull one of the tricks Pentium did to increase there reportacte speed. Add a few extra steps in the prosescer and you can make the reporat speed go up with out really speeding it up
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

jester22c wrote:Macs are sweet for specific purposes. I don't think I'd use one for an all around system (especially not for gaming ;)) but for video/graphics work (which I do alot of)... HooRah
Hey now, don't forget audio.

ProTools is only available for the Macintosh platform.

Well, there IS a Wintel version, but it blows more than Monica.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Timelessblur wrote:I heard some where that the new mac chips run hot and they pull one of the tricks Pentium did to increase there reportacte speed. Add a few extra steps in the prosescer and you can make the reporat speed go up with out really speeding it up
Probably a rumour from your typical PC user who can't stand the fact that someone other than Intel and Microsoft can make a good product.

It's not true; the PowerPC 970 actually runs cooler than the PowerPC G4 at comparable speeds.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:ProTools is only available for the Macintosh platform.
Is that true? My friend who's in a band asked me to download it and burn him a copy just recently. I guess so he can edit his songs..
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well like I said, there IS a Wintel version. However, it sucks compared to the Macintosh version.

Your best bet is to get your friend Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

DADINK13 wrote:Hey now, don't forget audio.

Yes you are very true. I should have said for multimedia development. But I don't edit music very often.... just graphics, 3d, and video :)
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

jester22c wrote:Macs are sweet for specific purposes. I don't think I'd use one for an all around system (especially not for gaming ;)) but for video/graphics work (which I do alot of)... HooRah
Actually, the games that are on Macs run much smoother, and I prefer the Mac for it, but there's not a whole lot, which doesn't matter -- like most Mac users, I don't game. But one nice thing is, since there are so few Mac gamers, the community is pretty tightly-knit. I have some rousing good Starcraft games with my Mac friends. ;) And there's a huge Unreal Tournament Mac community.