Ooops... Apple Leaks New PowerMac Specs

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Oh goodness, performance wasn't my argument at all!

I've played games on macs and I agree 100%, every game I've played ran much much better than its PC version (even games that were ported to the mac). I was meaning that there simply isn't a wide selection of games available on the platform.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Oh yes, there isn't. Macs definitely aren't gaming platforms. The PC is definitely the type of computer that has serious gamers. Mac users might play some games as a hobby, but they'd never use their computer for only gaming. I guess that's where preference can be decided -- I'm not a gamer, so I don't care about the lack of selection; of course, many of my friends are, and so buy really nice computers (my one friend has a dual-processor 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Alienware! :o ) that are great solely for gaming.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Michael wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:I heard some where that the new mac chips run hot and they pull one of the tricks Pentium did to increase there reportacte speed. Add a few extra steps in the prosescer and you can make the reporat speed go up with out really speeding it up
Probably a rumour from your typical PC user who can't stand the fact that someone other than Intel and Microsoft can make a good product.

It's not true; the PowerPC 970 actually runs cooler than the PowerPC G4 at comparable speeds.
who says the I think some from Intel said that. I had heard they made there processor have more than 4 steps which would let them increase there speeds. Beside Intel already cheated to do that trick. They went from a 10 step prossecor to a 12 step. I know PC have higher clock speed because there processors have more steps in them
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

The "steps" (stages) do not cheat software test results. A longer pipeline was used to perform better error checking and to optomize multimedia by providing a few extra instructions for the logic processor. A shorter pipeline greatly increases throughput, although not as efficiently.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Yeah that shorter pipe line macs where using let the run cold and profom at about the same speed as a PC since it took less steps to go though a Mac processor.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

The "speed" is merely the number of times the quartz clock pulses per second.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

wat does quartz have to do w/ hertz?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Robpol86 wrote:wat does quartz have to do w/ hertz?
Quartz is a material... hertz is a measurement of frequency.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Robpol86 wrote:wat does quartz have to do w/ hertz?
A chip has a quartz clock that controls how often the electricity pulses across the chip. Every time the electricity pulses, processing is done. The hertz is the number of times the quartz clock pulses each second; in the case of a 1.2-GHz processor, it pulses 1.2 billion times a second. That's how speed on a processor is measured, and that's why it's not a reliable indicator of processor power; you need to take into account whether the chip is 32-bit or 64-bit, and other architectural structures, things of that nature.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Yes! Just got a live feed from Apple WWDC in San Francisco -- those stats are 100% true! :-D

Lots of other cool stuff too. Videoconferencing with iChat, dev tools with on-the-fly recompiling, lots of other good stuff... I'll post more later when I can synthesize it all.
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Hmm apple seems to be pulling a fast one claiming the first 64 bit desktop and with their whole g5 )http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1296 ) As for the fact of software running better on Macs, maybe in the old days but a dual proc. Intel or Amd with the same ammount of ram will win. Apple only has a 2.9% market share, I don't seem them gaining any with this. The time of schools buying Macs is over as practically no one uses them at home.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

rocket733 wrote:Hmm apple seems to be pulling a fast one claiming the first 64 bit desktop and with their whole g5 )http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1296 ) As for the fact of software running better on Macs, maybe in the old days but a dual proc. Intel or Amd with the same ammount of ram will win. Apple only has a 2.9% market share, I don't seem them gaining any with this. The time of schools buying Macs is over as practically no one uses them at home.
First of all, it's arguable whether other dual 64-bit processing computers can be considered "desktop-class," but that's a different argument.

Secondly, benchmarks do not support your claim of software running better on Intel or AMD processors.

Thirdly, market-share is an unfair way of guaging how many computers run what software. Installed user-base is the fair way of doing that. According to those numbers, Linux/Unix and Macintosh each have an installed userbase of 12%, with Windows having roughly 75%. Still a considerable advantage, but not the 95% that is commonly touted in the PC world.

And schools still buy Macs. And a lot of people still use them at home. Believe me, I work in tech support at a local university, and I deal a lot with Mac users. Maybe your typical office person has a PC, but go to any professional artist, filmmaker, layout artist, web developer, things of that nature, and you'll find a Mac. Hell, even a lot of science people, especially people in life sciences, use Macs. Your claims are the typical myths propagated by the PC world to sell more computers.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i dunno where he got that "...practically no one uses them at home". thats total bs. alot of ppl use macs, not every1 uses windows.

and about their latest computer.
when i first saw the commercial, about being the most powerful computer, i thought it was bs, but after lookin @ the specs, i think it is.

that 1 GHz bus looks nice, as well as the 64-bit procs, espesically 2 of them. the only reason im not getting one is cuz i dont like the mac gui personally, and id rather build me one than buy one.

btw, i dont think intel has released a desktop class 64-bit chip yet

(i dont know y im defending macs, i dont even like them! :o )
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Michael wrote:but go to any professional artist, filmmaker, layout artist, web developer, things of that nature, and you'll find a Mac.
Agreed. And some professional software is only available for the Macintosh platform.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

DADINK13 wrote:
Michael wrote:but go to any professional artist, filmmaker, layout artist, web developer, things of that nature, and you'll find a Mac.
Agreed. And some professional software is only available for the Macintosh platform.
Final cut pro is one of them. I seen the program and I must say it really nice (dont know a thing about how to uses it but it seem easy enough to do a lot of the stuff). I never really heard any one say the PC film editing is better. Plus I know final cut pro is a lot cheaper