Intel to launch 3.2GHz P4 on Monday

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Beats me... I guess they'd rather make money by brainwashing people with big numbers.
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

jester22c wrote:Believe it or not software does a nice job of hogging memory and clock cycles all by itself. Microsoft doesn't "deoptomize" their software. That's rediculous. Operating systems require much more processing power than you would think. There are a hundred things going on at once. I'm not just talking out of my ass either. I am a coder myself. Sorry for the rant... I just hate seeing people blabber on about what they don't understand.

ok.. so if OSs require alot of CPU power.. then how come I can run a fairly new version (8.2) of Mandrake Linux on a Pentium 150MHz ???
(That's the original Pentium.. not the P2, P3 or higher.)

Requirements:
Pentium and compatible processors
128MB RAM recommended
Hard drive with at least 150 MB free space
CD-ROM drive
VESA 2.0 compliant graphics card

Wow.. a Pentium or compatible processor... they don't even give a MHz / GHz speed requirement. Must not need alot of Processor Usage "Clock Cycles" ..

128MB RAM recommended.. but I'm sure it can run with less..
What's the Windows XP requre? about 256, maybe 512 if you want it to run smoothly with all that graphically bubbly shit they call a GUI.
They Recommened At Least 128MBs though. But of course that's the difference between the Microsoft World, and The Real World..

Minimum of 150MBs of harddrive space... wow. I can still use my 2Gig harddrive from 5 years ago ?!?
Now what's Microsoft WinXP require ??
1.5 GBs !! Holy SHIT !! That's more than half my harddrive!!

Video requirements.. VESA 2 support. Again.. VESA 2. What the hell is that ?? Some old and outdated type of video from about 7 years ago. I think my old ATI Mach64 (with 4MB RAM onboard) supports VESA 2.

What's XP require? SVGA (800x600). Hmm.. about the only thing that's quite low on their requirements. But I don't know if the bubbly GUI would look correctly with only SVGA.

Now with all that comparison, you're still going to say that ALL OSs / Software require alot of CPU power / Requirements?? Pffftt

just making a point..
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:
jester22c wrote:The frontside bus actually doesn't have much to do with it. They are completely different architectures. Intel/AMD chips are CISC (complex instruction set computing) chips while Macs run on RISC (reduced instruction set computing) chips. CISC chips take extra time to decode instructions and run extra logic tests. Even if an instruction is predecoded this causes an increase in bit length, so either way it takes longer to get the job done. RISC processors are much more efficient, especially with floating point operations (which multimedia has alot to do with).

Just a bit of incite there for the uneducated :)
Then why the hell don't AMD/ Intel use RISC ?? If it's better.. what's the deal?!
Now this is something I know the answer for. I learned it while reading stuff bout linix. Microsoft OS (DOS everything Microsoft OS basicly) are builted to run off of and intel base processor or a clone there of (AMD ecta). Mac os it built to run off the RISC. It because the Microsoft windows can not run off of RISC it has to run off the intel base processor and everything in a PC as been coded to run off that type of processor so changing to a RISC woudl be damn near impolsible to do cost effectily.

(not that I fully understand it all but it make good cents. Linix runns of kenal base or something but I could never understand that part of it. All linux can run on both PC and mac since it not bases off the processor.)

Lastly please tell me that made since to someone other than me
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Timelessblur wrote:Now this is something I know the answer for. I learned it while reading stuff bout linix. Microsoft OS (DOS everything Microsoft OS basicly) are builted to run off of and intel base processor or a clone there of (AMD ecta). Mac os it built to run off the RISC. It because the Microsoft windows can not run off of RISC it has to run off the intel base processor and everything in a PC as been coded to run off that type of processor so changing to a RISC woudl be damn near impolsible to do cost effectily.

(not that I fully understand it all but it make good cents. Linix runns of kenal base or something but I could never understand that part of it. All linux can run on both PC and mac since it not bases off the processor.)
That's not entirely true. While most versions of Linux have a version that will run on either proc (Pentium or PPC), one version can't necessarily run on both. And it's not really RISC or CISC. It's just processor type. Each processor comes with a specific "toolbox" that is used as a programming reference. The Mac OS uses the PPC toolbox; Windows uses the Pentium toolbox.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Michael wrote:That's not entirely true. While most versions of Linux have a version that will run on either proc (Pentium or PPC), one version can't necessarily run on both. And it's not really RISC or CISC. It's just processor type. Each processor comes with a specific "toolbox" that is used as a programming reference. The Mac OS uses the PPC toolbox; Windows uses the Pentium toolbox.
So is there an AMD toolbox?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:ok.. so if OSs require alot of CPU power.. then how come I can run a fairly new version (8.2) of Mandrake Linux on a Pentium 150MHz ???
(That's the original Pentium.. not the P2, P3 or higher.)

Requirements:
Pentium and compatible processors
128MB RAM recommended
Hard drive with at least 150 MB free space
CD-ROM drive
VESA 2.0 compliant graphics card

Wow.. a Pentium or compatible processor... they don't even give a MHz / GHz speed requirement. Must not need alot of Processor Usage "Clock Cycles" ..

128MB RAM recommended.. but I'm sure it can run with less..
What's the Windows XP requre? about 256, maybe 512 if you want it to run smoothly with all that graphically bubbly shit they call a GUI.
They Recommened At Least 128MBs though. But of course that's the difference between the Microsoft World, and The Real World..

Minimum of 150MBs of harddrive space... wow. I can still use my 2Gig harddrive from 5 years ago ?!?
Now what's Microsoft WinXP require ??
1.5 GBs !! Holy SHIT !! That's more than half my harddrive!!

Video requirements.. VESA 2 support. Again.. VESA 2. What the hell is that ?? Some old and outdated type of video from about 7 years ago. I think my old ATI Mach64 (with 4MB RAM onboard) supports VESA 2.

What's XP require? SVGA (800x600). Hmm.. about the only thing that's quite low on their requirements. But I don't know if the bubbly GUI would look correctly with only SVGA.

Now with all that comparison, you're still going to say that ALL OSs / Software require alot of CPU power / Requirements?? Pffftt

just making a point..

You are comparing apples and oranges there buddy... A windows OS and a unix/linux OS are completely different things. Windows is written for compatibility and tolerance against various hardware and software. *nix is written to be efficient and compile and recompile itself to include only what is needed to operate. Efficiency is not microsofts main concern, it is user friendliness. This means that everything is included that may be needed. Two completely different ballparks.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:So is there an AMD toolbox?
I imagine AMD would probably use a Pentium-compatible toolbox.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Cool I learned a lot. Now Big-O needs more topics like this. When I go to other tek forums they tell me i'm dumb and go awy. It's cool that we have so many Smart people here at Big-O.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:So is there an AMD toolbox?
there is but it a clone of the intel tool box
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas