80x CD Burner?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

4x that sucks. i remember when i had my 4x usb cd burner. 30 mintues to make a full cd. :'(
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

I think Mine is 24x. And Should This Be In Off Topic Computers?
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

yes, but sadly, no1 here can do that @ the moment
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

whats wrong with 4x?

ive been using a 4x fot a few years now.

its all i got and i aint really complaing..... it burns good copies at a good rate.

If you try to burn a VCD at 24x or whatever, chances are that most dvd plaayers wont even be able to read it then.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Plasma2002b wrote:If you try to burn a VCD at 24x or whatever, chances are that most dvd plaayers wont even be able to read it then.

The speed at which media is burned has nothing to do with it's compatibility or readability by other hardware, at all.
:D
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Guess I lucked out... My burner is 52x24x52.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

Damn! I Need a New Burner!
Chinchilla!
Addict
Addict

Post by Chinchilla! »

I would think a person would be content with a slower burner if they didn't burn stuff as often. For example, if you only burn a CD once a month, maybe 4x is ok, or if you burn once a week like I do, my 8x does the job, but if you burn just about everday, then I can understand why you'd need something like 24x or above. And if you burn everyday you've probably lost a lot of brain cells.
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

well also if you burn at a slower speed you get better quality...like if you have a home entertainment system it sounds better than a faster speed but thats about it
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Chinchilla! wrote:I would think a person would be content with a slower burner if they didn't burn stuff as often. For example, if you only burn a CD once a month, maybe 4x is ok, or if you burn once a week like I do, my 8x does the job, but if you burn just about everday, then I can understand why you'd need something like 24x or above. And if you burn everyday you've probably lost a lot of brain cells.
That's a stupid comment... I mean what your saying is if you burn less you have more time to waste waiting for a cd to burn...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

PaT MaNN 03 wrote:well also if you burn at a slower speed you get better quality...like if you have a home entertainment system it sounds better than a faster speed but thats about it
Completely incorrect. Unless your burner is absolute shit and corrupts the transfer stream when burning at faster speeds... But quality is quality. The speed at which the media is written has nothing to do with the bitrate and frequency.
:D
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

You're both right and you're both wrong. It's the media that makes the difference. Cheap media won't burn properly at higher speeds. And higher speeds mean more of a possbility for something to go wrong. If it's a critial burn, drop the speed down. If you're media has a rating slower than the fastest your burner can burn, DO NOT exceed that speed. I have 16x media and a 40x burner, and I have coastered CDs at higher speeds. Just don't take the chance.
neenmo

Post by neenmo »

jester22c wrote:
Plasma2002b wrote:If you try to burn a VCD at 24x or whatever, chances are that most dvd plaayers wont even be able to read it then.

The speed at which media is burned has nothing to do with it's compatibility or readability by other hardware, at all.
you're wrong. the faster it writes, the less time the laser spends on each bit on the CD. the less time the laser spends on each bit on the CD, the less solid each bit is written. you can tell because CDs burned at fast speeds have a much lighter, less noticible ring of data. this makes it hard for CD players, DVD players, ect, to read it, because it has trouble focusing on the less distinct bits and bytes. this is why sometimes on a fast burned CD, the first few tracks are not readable, since the inner part of the CD spins faster then the outside.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i thought certain cd drives slowed down when the lense was on the outer part of the cd? my friend told me that, so i dunno
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

No. Drives speed up as the lens goes further out on the diameter of the disc.