Troubles Networking

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

sweeney
Addict
Addict

Troubles Networking

Post by sweeney »

Okay, so I have a whole bunch of files I want to get from one computer to the next, and without a CD burner, the best way is networking, right? Well the network card on one of my computers is broken, so instead of going out and spending money on a new one, which I'll use for this occasion only, I'm networking using my USB cables. I got them both connected okay, and installed the drivers, and everything shows up in device manager as working fine. Except that I can't find the other computer on either one, therefore defeating the purpose of a network. I'm using XP on a Compaq Armada laptop, and 2000 Professional on a Dell Desktop. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
DanMan2003

Post by DanMan2003 »

Well, i can think of this for now...

Using the XP machine, go to My Network Places. Click On "setup home network" (or something like that). When you finish making the network, it will ask you to install something on any other machine that will be in a network... (its on the xp cd, but if u dont have it, it asks you if you want it to make a floppy). Once its installed on all other computers, i'm guessing it should work...

Hope it works,
-Dan
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

And that's where the plot thickens..like..uh..feathers! Thickening feathers.. I tried that, and when I ran the floppy on my 2000 Machine, I got a message saying that it only worked for 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and XP, thus skipping right over my version. Joy. Thanks anyway.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Do you have XP Home or Professional?
DanMan2003

Post by DanMan2003 »

Sweeney wrote:And that's where the plot thickens..like..uh..feathers! Thickening feathers.. I tried that, and when I ran the floppy on my 2000 Machine, I got a message saying that it only worked for 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and XP, thus skipping right over my version. Joy. Thanks anyway.
lol - that must have been a real pain in the ***.
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

I have XP Professional.
DanMan2003 wrote: lol - that must have been a real pain in the ***.
Lol, it was. Every other version of Windows....what kind of genius is Bill Gates, anyway?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Make sure both computers are logged into the same workgroup. If that still doesn't work (after logging back out and back in) manually add the 2K computer from the XP machine into the workgroup. Assign it an IP and then use that IP from the 2K machine. It's a pain in the butt I've done it a dozen times. I was hired last summer to network a doctors office and there were 2 98 machines, a 2K machine, and an XP pro machine. It took some finagling but I got it going... it is definately possible. Good luck though.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Sweeney wrote:Lol, it was. Every other version of Windows....what kind of genius is Bill Gates, anyway?
Well, in all fairness, Bill Gates is much more of a businessman than a programmer, so he really had nothing to do with Windows engineering for those versions you listed.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Sweeney wrote:Iwhat kind of genius is Bill Gates, anyway?
An evil genius! :twisted: