Which version of Linux?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Which version of Linux?

Post by DADINK13 »

I'm gonna make my NES-PC dual-boot (once I finish with it). I'm gonna put XP Pro on it, as well as a build of Linux. But I can't decide on which version to go with. So, I figured I'd ask the Geeks here. :wink:

I have three flavors right now: Gentoo, Redhat, and SuSE. I'm looking for power, flexibility, and user-friendliness.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i dont use linux much (sept on my router). i think RedHat was good, and so is Slackware (the isp i work at uses that). u can also try mandrake. but i dont know much, i just experienced linux w/ console only
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Okay...

I'm downloading SuSE and Mandrake right now. I think I'm gonna run out of hard drive space downloading all these flavors of Linux...lol... :roll:
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

I like Redhat 9
BigHead
~2592~
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

What are you going to do with the linux? If you are looking for easy install. I think you should go with Knoppix. It is based off of Debian. What I hear is a really good distro. Debian has something like an "installer" (filename.deb). It was real easy to install modem drivers.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Matt

Post by Matt »

By the way, Carl got those "flavors" from me...and I asked my linux guru friend. Carl said he wanted user-friendly, powerful, and flexibility. Mandrake will give the user-friendly whereas gentoo and suse will give the power and flexibility. There are numerous posts (on slashdot and other forums) about suse rising above the rest...so I am going to try it later (I did once and was confused (first time trying to install linux)).
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Red Hat's okay -- it's what I use -- but personally, I think all versions of Linux are highly overrated.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I've heard good things about Gentoo, but I use Mandrake 9.1 myself. I've used RedHat 8.2 before...and didn't really like it. Too weird and the install was a pain.
Suse is suppose to be a good Distro as well.
Slackware is the oldest of all Distros... so its most likely more bug-free than other distros.

Debian from what I hear is the most secure Linux Distro out on the market. It's the best choise for 'Enterprise security' if you're really looking to do e-commerse and such.

My suggestion, is either Mandrake or Debian, Slackware or Suse. (not in that order though)