XP or 2K for new computer???

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

J3utton
Addict
Addict

XP or 2K for new computer???

Post by J3utton »

Alright... Im about to be getting a new computer, however Im trying to decide what operating system to get for it. I know XP consumes a lot of memory and what not, but that shouldn't be a huge problem (im planning on having ALOT of memory) and XP is also all bubbly and pretty looking (I DONT need bubbly and pretty looking) But Xp also has some nice features too. And 2k is all around a nice OS with no bubbly pictures or anything.

let me know what you guys think

Also heres what Im thinking about for the actual computer...

3.2GHz, 1Gb DDR ram, 120Gb HDD, 16x DVD, 52x CD-RW, Geforece FX5600 (256mb DDR ram card) Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platnium sound, 5 USb 2.0 ports, 17" LCD flatscreen

.... Im also thinking maybe a laptop would be better... but yeah, whatever, let me know what you guys think, I know your all computer genious's
DanMan2003

Post by DanMan2003 »

Holy SHIT!!! Thats an awesome computer...

If you worried about memory... 1 GB!!!!

IMO, if its a home/non-business computer, stick with XP.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

make sure it XP pro. I personly would get a laptop with a docking stations (it cost quite a bit more to got laptop rather than desk and have a docking to have it behave like a desk) I like mobliety. I used to think the other way but now that I had a laptop for a while I perfer having them.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

DanMan2003 wrote:Holy SHIT!!! Thats an awesome computer...
Do you have any clue how much a P4 3.2GHz costs? Like $700. It's totally not worth the money. I'm getting a P4 2.4C (800MHz bus) for my new computer, and I'm paying $175 for it.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i gots 2 gigs of ram but only use 500 MB usually. i reccomend XP Pro (2k is better than XP Home IMO). xp has alot more nice features than 2k, and it DOESNT have to b bulbose and blue and so on... u can make it look like 2k, or get different visual styles (dunno if 2k supports this) for xp, making it look better. i dont think xp takes that much mem? my friend had 64 megs and was slow but w/ 128, it ran perfectly fine.. but its a matter of choise, im not biased towards xp, either of the os's are much better than 9x (btw does 2k have that "compatibility" thing that no1 uses?)
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

DADINK13 wrote:
DanMan2003 wrote:Holy SHIT!!! Thats an awesome computer...
Do you have any clue how much a P4 3.2GHz costs? Like $700. It's totally not worth the money. I'm getting a P4 2.4C (800MHz bus) for my new computer, and I'm paying $175 for it.

Yeah sorry... me and my friend were discussing what to put in it... that was the origional idea (untill i found out what it costs :) ) High processor speed is cool and all, but I really dont need anything that fast, right now its just about how much memory you have.... the computer i have now is win 98, pentium 2, 350 mhz but it has a lot of ram.... My friend has a much newer computer, over 1 ghz, but my computer kicks his computers ass cause hes to stupid to put more memory in it :)... yeah anyway I know it wouldn't be worth it, what do you suggest in its place?

and you guys really think xp is better? I was leaning towards 2k.. if you think xp is better, your going to have to tell me why...

timeless... what exactly does a docking station do??? I know, im stupid :) but ive never used laptops before unless it was at school, and they buy the really cheap shitty ones, so I haven't had good experiences with laptops... could you just explain a little bit of why its better?
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

xp is better imo just cuz of the xtra features, there basically the same except for the interface...

and, getting a gig for 9x is a waste for $$, more than 256 megs is overkill and wont do much, good idea movin on to the nt kernel
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

Robpol86 wrote:and, getting a gig for 9x is a waste for $$, more than 256 megs is overkill and wont do much, good idea movin on to the nt kernel
all i have on this computer right now is 128, but it still beats other computers with higher processors
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Nice computer, but in the end, it still runs Windows. :-P
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

get xp. its considerably better than 2k, will be supported longer than 2k. also it is very friendly to new users. also, try for xp pro if you can afford it, but its not absolutely necessary. the few additional features are hardly worth it for anyone who is not a power-user.
please stop. now.
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

Im deffinately a power user..... and i dont need anything user friendly
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

XP Pro, They'll stop supporting 2K before they stop supporting XP. That and some devices aren't as compatible with 2K (from personal experiences).... nuf said.
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
Annorax
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Annorax »

I've been using 2k for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. XP Pro is quite similiar but with a few cool extra features. One annoying thing I've heard with XP is you need a key to change hardware and do updates...
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Become evil.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Annorax wrote:I've been using 2k for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. XP Pro is quite similiar but with a few cool extra features. One annoying thing I've heard with XP is you need a key to change hardware and do updates...
no no just need a vaild CD key to get serice pack one which I know there is a crack verson of it out there. You can still get all the other updates
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

I say XP Pro as well.

I have a few suggestions for your configuration as well :). I'm assuming you're going to get an i875 chipset. If so, grab either the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or the Abit IC7-G because they are both GREAT mobo's with hoards of features including additional SATA connections.

The reason the additional SATA connections are a plus is because I have another suggestion. I'm going to assume you want the 120gig hdd because you want lots of storage space. A great move, in my opinon, would be to get this SATA Western Digital 36.7gig 10k rpm 8meg cache drive. Use this as your operating system and programs ONLY drive. It's got great access times, 8megs of cache, 3 year warranty, is quiet, and is a Western Digital. Then just throw your 120 gig onto one of the IDE channels and use it for storage like movies, pictures, music, ect. This way will run much faster, and if/when you want to reformat, you don't have to worry about backing anything up...just pop in the setup cd and format the C drive.

The reason that you can't use the i875 SATA in addition to the on i875 IDE, is because the way the chipset is setup, it disables one IDE channel for each SATA channel you use. That means you can't have your 2 disc drives as well as your storage hdd. If you got rid of a disc drive and throw your hdd on the same channel as your disc drive, then your hard drive slows to a crawl at ATA33. Solution? A controller card. Might as well get one on board while you're at it for simplicity, reliability, and space.

On a side note...keep in mind that the 3.2gig cpu you plan to buy is the absolute fastest cpu ANY current mobo will support. Intel has confirmed that any and all i875/i865 chipsets will not support the new "Prescott" cpu's. So if you plan to ever upgrade your cpu for any reason, you can't. It's usually a good move to swap out the cpu, mobo, and ram all at once anyways if you plan to do a decent upgrade anyways, so it might not matter if you upgrade that way in the future. Just something to keep in mind for ya :)

Yeah, that's a pricey cpu anyways, if you want 3.2ghz that badly, just buy a 2.8C cpu, throw on a Sunflower 2 and overclock it :) It'll be faster than the 3.2 actually, because of the higher BUS speed.

Now that you're absolutely SICK of reading this, if you even did, I'll stop...for now... :lol:

EDIT:
oh yeah...btw, www.googlegear.com is a GREAT place to buy computer parts from, they're among the most inexpensive of online retailers as well as being a great company...they ship out quickly, run their business well and efficiently, have great employees to answer your questions, and are very reliable and trustworthy.