Need Help

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

z8c5

Need Help

Post by z8c5 »

I just recently got another PC, and they're networked, sharing files and internet....but ever since i've had them connected, i cant stay online longer than about 10 hours, without it starting to dramatically drop in speeds, I cant download more than like 1kb/s and it takes about 1min to load 1 webpage, i have to reboot my modem and router to make it go back to normal.....anyone know anything i can do to correct this?

Someone has said it could be my ISP, i'll probably be calling them later today, or tomorrow, but first does anyone know a fix? or what could be wrong?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

you ram could be over loading after about 10 hours. After boat 5-6 hours everything slows down on my computer. So it could just be you computer. Be on the internet seems to sap up a lot more VM and ram than you think over time
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

or it might b his isp or router (usually my damn linksys did this, so i made my own). or maby his isp does something? i dont think its his computer unless hes running 9x, but i still dought it
z8c5

Post by z8c5 »

I'm running XP Pro... 512MB ram, 110GB, 1.2Ghz.

Sometimes it doesnt just dramatically drop, sometimes it'll just kick me offline on both computers, and ill have to reboot the modem. :x
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

hmm, try upgrading the firmware on your router? maby its having probs and it seems like its the modem? i dunno
Chinchilla!
Addict
Addict

Post by Chinchilla! »

I have a problem kinda like that, I have comcast high-speed internet, and well after a few hours its not high-speed anymore, its slower than shiite. I get kicked off AIM, and have to unplug the cable modem and the router (netgear router) for about 30 min and then plug everything back in and it seems to work normally again.

This is why at most I've been able to stay on AIM for a little over 2 days before I get kicked off, or, like you said " cant download more than like 1kb/s" yet other than that, the computer continues to run fine in all other aspects (ram usage, programs still open fast, etc)
z8c5

Post by z8c5 »

Robpol86 wrote:hmm, try upgrading the firmware on your router? maby its having probs and it seems like its the modem? i dunno

On the website there is no updated firmware...My modem is kind of old but I do have the latest drivers for it ..If that has anything to do with it, I'm kind of thinking it may be my ISP, b/c i have the worst ISP in the world ( cableone ). :x

Oddly, before i came to post this, i was on aim, and could IM people, but i couldnt connect to any websites or anything..the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" came up immediately. I restarted my computer, and now I can go to websites...The other computer is running fine, but it's only been online for about 3 and a half hours so it still has a good 6 and a half hours before it starts to screw up again :evil:
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

ha! u think u got the wrose isp?! My crappy "SUPER FAST CABLE" isp dropps me every night from around 9 till i wake up in the morning... and all they give me is 15 kB/s upload.... and usually its slower than that, i dont even have a megabit worth of download speeds

but yea, it may b ur isp... i gots the same probs in a way... but its cuz my isp dropps me, solution? sleep.... next time u wake up, it will be better :wink:
z8c5

Post by z8c5 »

heh, cableone used to be really bad at just going off and coming back on in a while, but they later upgraded, and it's not too bad with that anymore, but it still does it occasionally. I download at 1Mb, and upload at 256Kb..so its DECENT...but they do still have some problems..
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:you ram could be over loading after about 10 hours. After boat 5-6 hours everything slows down on my computer. So it could just be you computer. Be on the internet seems to sap up a lot more VM and ram than you think over time
That's probably because your running Windows ME, correct??
It's a problem with your OS, same as Win95, and 98.. the memory leak in the Kernal.