Kazaa

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

from http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wo ... cable.html
By 2004, however, CableLab’s latest standard, Docsis 2.0, will be available in both cable modem and head-end equipment, and that will have a dramatic impact on the amount of bandwidth customers can access. 1.0 and 1.1 equipment is capable of a maximum upstream rate of 10 Mb/s (and in practice, usually 5 Mb/s), compared to 30 Mb/s downstream. Docsis 2.0 equipment will enable 30 Mb/s rates in both directions, though for entire neighborhoods not individual customers. The improvement stems from better signal modulation and error correction.
30mb/s in docsis 1.1 wich roadrunner is using (i think)
BigHead
~2592~
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

from http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wo ... cable.html
By 2004, however, CableLab’s latest standard, Docsis 2.0, will be available in both cable modem and head-end equipment, and that will have a dramatic impact on the amount of bandwidth customers can access. 1.0 and 1.1 equipment is capable of a maximum upstream rate of 10 Mb/s (and in practice, usually 5 Mb/s), compared to 30 Mb/s downstream. Docsis 2.0 equipment will enable 30 Mb/s rates in both directions, though for entire neighborhoods not individual customers. The improvement stems from better signal modulation and error correction.

30mb/s in docsis 1.1 wich roadrunner is using (i think)
( i had to double post for some reason to show the 5th page :?:
BigHead
~2592~
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

Those are theoretical limits. If you wanna get technical then my cable modem has a max theoretical speed of 20Mbps, but the ethernet connection on it only supports 10MBps. The coax/fiber optic lines that Time Warner uses here in San Antonio can handle 30Mbps per "sector." I forgot what those boxes/big hubs are called that they have all over the city so I'm calling them sectors ;)

The speed is all based on what you are allowed to have. Sure it can spike, but not that much at all...not to mention the fact that spikes last for fractions of a second. Plus, the display for speed that Windows uses isn't always accurate because of lag on the computer itself. Friends that still have 56K modems say "I got 60KB/sec today!!!"...bull...it's just lag on the system forgetting that it already had a certain amount of information so then it compensates for the time it forgot about.

Only if the user hacks their modem can they get huge speed at or above 500KBps for a normal residential account.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Master Jedi wrote:
x Wasted Mind x wrote:
Master Jedi wrote:The limit to cable modems is 10 megabit (1.25 megabytes per second). It CAN'T get any faster than that. It's not possible for the technology.

The fastest throughput I've had on cable is about 1.1 megabytes per second.
Tell that to my friend..
I've also seen it with my own eyes..
He was downloading some music from 'Alt.Binaries.Punk' on the RR Newsgroups... pulling 2MB a second.
No he wans't. Either it was reported incorrectly or it was being hosted on his intranetwork. Someone wanna check the cable modem RFC's? I think 2669 is one of them. I don't feel like looking. I've got better things to do than read RFC's.
So if that's the case...

What do you call Road Runner Business Class then?? Hmm??
Because you still use the same modem, the SAME NIC Cards, the Same Cat cables..
All RR does is reconfigure your box for you, to accept higher speeds.

And the RR Business Class limits are anywhere from 2MB to OC48, depending on what you pay for.
(of course this is RR of Tampa Bay Florida, it might be different elsewhere).
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Wasted Mind it right...

... Then again maybe it's all magic :roll: .

I don't know what the big deal is... You can be wrong every once in a while.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

Master Jedi wrote:The limit to cable modems is 10 megabit (1.25 megabytes per second). It CAN'T get any faster than that. It's not possible for the technology.

wow im late, u ppl talk too much at random times

2 correct jedi, the maximum amount of bandwidth on cable is 12 Mbps, i dont feel like getting the MB/s

now, i dont know if its 12 per frequency/channel or 12 as a total, i think its 12/Hz. newayz, my lame isp (<1000/128) best use more channels for downstream cuz i hate the slowness of "highspeed" cable
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

Robpol86 wrote:2 correct jedi, the maximum amount of bandwidth on cable is 12 Mbps, i dont feel like getting the MB/s
You're not really correcting him though...it's different for each ISP and different for each piece of hardware. Again, a simple reason as to why you aren't necessarily correcting him is because your information contradicts the specifications of my ISP's broadband connection...which would mean I would have to be wrong as well for not having the same specs as the ones you claim to have. Kinda like saying my car is wrong because it has standard transmission and yours doesn't, it's just...different.

If you wanna play the "correcting" game then your post is incorrect about 12/hz by which you meant 12Mbps per hertz. One hertz is one cycle per second...how can you cram 12 million bits of information into just one cycle?...that sounds a little high to me. Maybe like 4-16bits per cycle but surely not 12 million.

Sounds to me like you're a little misinformed. I'm about 90-95% sure that you use a USB connection to link up to the internet which is why you chose 12Mbps which has no other relevance to any other connection I've ever heard of...12Mbps is what USB 1.1 runs at and I know of nothing else currently widely used that has that max speed. You may not admit it though, just so I don't look like I called that one...so I guess we'll never know the truth ;) I can say "well my max speed is 100Mbps because that's what my network status says"...well yeah that's what my network is, but that's not what RR is...sooo...yeah. I'm guessing that's where you got the 12Mbps from, looking at your network status. An old Toshiba cable modem owner's manual I have over here says it operates at 30Mbps max receive per 6mhz channel at 64QAM.

Anyways, you can check out this page and read a lil bit...there are tons of other useful pages out there but it gets really technical when you get deep down into it, pretty confusing stuff unless you're an EE, computer engineer, and a physicist all rolled into one :lol: crazy stuff that I wish I could comprehend :/

EDIT: /me looks at Master Jedi and hopes he didn't just make an anus of himself defending him ;)
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

Jon8RFC wrote:it's different for each ISP and different for each piece of hardware
i was talking bout the maximum that the physical coax cable can do. im not sure if its 12 per frequency or 12 total (doubtful)
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

You're thinking of the wrong kind of coax cable...lol.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

[edit]
actually, were both wrong. every 6 MHz can go up to like 40 Mbps!

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem3.htm
[/edit]

try to prove THEM wrong!
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

docsis standards allow 30mb/s
BigHead
~2592~
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

He's still right...DOCSIS 1.1 (the current standard) is 10Mbps
Robpol86 wrote:[edit]
actually, were both wrong. every 6 MHz can go up to like 40 Mbps!

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem3.htm
[/edit]

try to prove THEM wrong!
Jon8RFC wrote:Maybe like 4-16bits per cycle but surely not 12 million.
4bits*6,000,000hz=24,000,000bps=24Mbps
16bits*6,000,000hz=96,000,000bps=96Mbps

24<30 (DOCSIS 2.0)<96

The DOCSIS 2.0 standard (current max theoretical speed) as well as the howstuffworks conclusion fell between my assumptions.

Now that I think about it, 8bits per cycle seems like what it actually IS because that's one byte per cycle. That would make it 48Mbps max (DOCSIS 2.1?) theoretical speed per 6mhz channel. I'm sure they can cram more than one byte onto each cycle though, someone always finds a better and faster way of doing things.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Wait...did someone say I was right...?
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

wow i got lost in all of that. now i don't know what to believe.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

The last post by Jon8RFC sort of recaps everything:

Current standard is DOCSIS 1.1 with a 10 megabit throughput limit

Newer standards are being developed.

The End.