Kazaa

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I know that in order for me to get ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX (One of those don't allow it but I don't remember which (Either ABC or NBC)) on Dish Network not only can we only have one feed (Even though Dish Network could feed a west and north feed), but it has to be the closest affilate that is contracted (ie NYC), and I have to wait 45 days from when I say I want it... (I'm sure Dish Network pays quite a sum for the ability to do this (Seeing as they have 30 affilates locations (<-- educated guess)).

Kinda goes into what your saying Ray... Guess it also falls short on the subject though...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Yes, there was a short period of time when you couldn't get ANY network TV if you had a satellite dish. That was when the cable companies were slamming the dish services because you couldn't get "regular" programming. Eventually an agreement was made and you could only get one feed for each network that had an affilliate agreement with the dish service provider.

But to address specifically the topic of whether or not it is illegal to download TV programming from Kazaa, I think it is completely legal as long as you stick to regular programming and avoid copies of movies and sports programming. Those two type of programming have very specific copyright disclaimers
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I really hope it is not illige to download TV shows. It is about the only way I get to watch enterprise because before I moved out of my room because of roomate problems he refused to watch star trek anything (So no enterprise for me) and not I dont have a TV in my current room I have all to my self so the only way I been able to watch them is to download them. Also you have to add in the fact that I miss a lot of TV shows because of class or school stuff so I would have to download them to watch it. SPeaking of which I time ot watch last week enterpise which the guy accross the hall got downloaded and gave to me......
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Timelessblur wrote:I really hope it is not illige to download TV shows. It is about the only way I get to watch enterprise because before I moved out of my room because of roomate problems he refused to watch star trek anything (So no enterprise for me) and not I dont have a TV in my current room I have all to my self so the only way I been able to watch them is to download them. Also you have to add in the fact that I miss a lot of TV shows because of class or school stuff so I would have to download them to watch it. SPeaking of which I time ot watch last week enterpise which the guy accross the hall got downloaded and gave to me......
Yeah.. I used to watch Enterprise on TV as well....
But now Smallville comes on the same time, on the WB.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Timelessblur wrote:I really hope it is not illige to download TV shows. It is about the only way I get to watch enterprise because before I moved out of my room because of roomate problems he refused to watch star trek anything (So no enterprise for me) and not I dont have a TV in my current room I have all to my self so the only way I been able to watch them is to download them. Also you have to add in the fact that I miss a lot of TV shows because of class or school stuff so I would have to download them to watch it. SPeaking of which I time ot watch last week enterpise which the guy accross the hall got downloaded and gave to me......
Sounds like a good idea if you have DSL or Cable.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i think it is illegal to d/l tv rips because your distributing copyrighted material without the owners permission. but sometimes the owners dont care so its ok. u dont get sued or nething for having tv rips on ur computer (@least not for now)
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

downloading tv shows is the only way i get to watch some tv shows because im never home to watch them
it would really suck if the companies start sueing people
nmrim
Addict
Addict

Post by nmrim »

i apologize if this has been brought up but time is quickly escaping and yeah...

the whole downloading tv shows to watch...it isn't much different than recording tv shows on vhs....so...how could they sue?
jen

wish i could claim it but my soul is not that beautiful... www.normalform.com
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

Well you can copy music off the raido too.
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

i know
all thats different is the quality of the music
why dont they start suing people who have tape recorders then
its almost the same
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

nmrim wrote:i apologize if this has been brought up but time is quickly escaping and yeah...

the whole downloading tv shows to watch...it isn't much different than recording tv shows on vhs....so...how could they sue?
Well any one can sue...

But... Like Micah said just like radio recording... It is a piece of cake. However the RIAA still goes nuts about Kazaa.

On the other hand you know exactly when something is going to be on TV, as opposed to radio so it might be better for the consumer in that regard.

However... Downloading from Kazaa (can be) nothing like taping it... Computer rips can be much better (DVD level) then a VHS tape (which gets worse with play anyways).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

There is always Tivo to recored movies and other stuff on TV.

I think that just Downloading from Kazaa is not illegal. Keeping the files for more then 2 or 3 days (I think) is illegal. You can preview the mp3s you just can't keep them.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I just read on Reuters that different organizations are proposing agreements to come to settlement.

One such would be to pay a bit more for internet access. The extra money which you pay your ISP would then be paid to the RIAA.. and whoever else.

Thus it would make downloading all the music you want, in a sense, Legal.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

That would not be fair to the people who do not download music. Like all the little old ladies that get online.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

A friend of mine that lives in Canada who works in the IT field stated that they have to pay a surcharge for blank CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW media and cassette tapes. That surcharge is given to the recording industry because they have assumed that the greatest use for those types of blank media is to create copies of music.

I would have no problem if they instituted a surcharge on blank media and made the lawsuits go away. You'll still get an entire album of music for less than a buck a CD
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley