How to make your PC "invisible" to hackers?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

harra
Veteran
Veteran

How to make your PC "invisible" to hackers?

Post by harra »

Walker wrote:All My Ports Are On Stealth. So To Hackers, my computer dosen't exist.
Walker and anyone else you would like to add commentary.....

I am rather ignorant in these areas of computing. I'm at least knowledgeable enough to know the threat exists and practice "safe computing" (although sometimes it's hard to type with the giant rubber on my keyboard). I would love to see a good explanation on how to properly run your ports in "Stealth Mode". I have always meant to do that, but for now I just have been stupidly trusting my Linksys router to stop unwanted internet traffic.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Are you on a router, preferably Linksys?

If not, do you use any sort of active virus scanner, like Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm?

What OS do you have?
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

OK,

Maybe by helping me others can learn :)

I run computers with the following OSes:

Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional

I am using the original Linksys broadband router with the built-in 4 port hub (BEFSR41)

I run both an antivirus software provided by VCOM called System Suite. I also use the AntiVirus software that came with my VAIO laptop (not sure of the name). On the other computers I use NAV.

I have yet to get a virus and I have been using anti-virus software since the mid-90's when I got my first non-DOS operating system.

My main goal is to achieve computing security to as close to the levels as Steve Gibson is always touting on his website. It is just always alot of information to dig through for a person who doesn't have a lot of free time.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well as for scanning your computer to see which ports are open and possibly vulnerabilities .. the best program in my opinion is GFI LanGuard Network Security Scanner.
Obviously from the name, you can scan computers on your local network.. but also on the internet as well.

It gives you tons of information if the information is available.. from your network name (Workgroups or Domains), to your physical computer name on the network..all the way to its IP...and even your network card's MAC Address.
Lots more too, I just can't remember right now..

But thats a good place to start, you can download a 30day trial of their program from http://gfi.com
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

OK,

Once you determine your vulerablilities, what is a good source of documentation on how to "plug" those vulnerabilities. Does the software provide that information?
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i have a cheap protection but its good nuff for me.

first, my router. i only forward ports that are needed, not dmz
2nd, npf. its ok but sometimes doesnt catch traffic for gay reasons
c, blackice. i heard good things about this and it seems to work very good

you can get yourself a very good router that blocks all incomming data except for normal stuff (like browsin the web). my friend is behind 3 routers that do this. he feels protected :roll:
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

Axilla wrote:Are you on a router, preferably Linksys?

If not, do you use any sort of active virus scanner, like Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm?

What OS do you have?
I am on a Linksys Router and I have ZA installed on All Of My Computers. I Had DMZ, but when i unplugged my router to see if something was messed up, it may have reset my DMZ.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

The setup on my dad's computer:

ZoneAlarm 3.7.202
Norton AntiVirus 2002

My computer (once it's back up and running)
ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0.whatever
Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional
Some sort of router (not sure what it'll be yet)
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

on my comp im runnin NPF 2003, Blackice (latest, dunno wat ver #) and NAV 2003

im bhind a router, not DMZ'd (good thing)

im gunna get zonealarm soon
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Steve Gibson hates Black Ice.............
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ