Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

The RIAA is so unimaginably gay

Post by Axilla »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2& ... &printer=1

someone on fark set up this fund to help her single working mother that was forced to pay so i've been putting the link everywhere i post.

Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Can you really expect a 12 year old to understand the legal problems with downloading music? I don't think so... And if a crime is minor (like this one very much is) and the person honestly does not understand what they have done wrong then I don't think you should be able to sue the person. I mean of course if she was told in this respect and then did it again it's a new ball game, but this is insane. There are many other people that should be sued far before this person I'm sure.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Its not so much whether she knew what she was doing was wrong, its that the RIAA takes the money and the artists probably get none of it. My friend put it well... "Did anyone see the south park where the underpants gnomes steal cartmans underwear? RIAA has the exact buisness plan...
step 1: sue 12 year old girl living with single mother in the projects
step 2: ???
step 3: profit!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Article wrote:The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.
The above qoute is talking about Kazaa (not K-Lite).

If someone is going to pay for Kazaa when you can easily use Kazaa Lite don't you think just possibly they honestly had no idea they were "stealing". I mean if your going to pay for one thing wouldn't you pretty much pay for everything... Or if your going to pay for this don't you think they would um.. pay a cheaper price for a legit music service.
Article wrote:"If this was something we were profiting from, that's one thing. But we were just listening and sometimes dancing to the music," said the mother.
They had no intrest in burning the music, so they wouldn't even have to try and find a service where you could burn it.
Last edited by Anthony on Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

yeah I read that aritcal in the paper here at Tech today while waiting for my leg to wake back up (I fell asleep in the student union and my right leg feel asleep so when I tryed to stand up it would not work. Yeah it was nto a pretty site :cheesy: ).
I think the RIAA is trying to blame there lost of profic not money Profic there profec margins are shincking but there net amount of money they are bring in has not change that much. I know if it was not for the P2P sharing programs out there the RIAA would not of gotten over 100 bucks from me buying the music and the groups I like because I would of never heard of them. And if I have to complete stop download music the RIAA can kiss over 100buck of my money a year good bye because I will not be hearing of a lot of these groups. I discoverd nightwish because of kazaa. Trying to blame there lost off the p2p when in reality people just can not aford the cds.....
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Axilla wrote:My friend put it well... "Did anyone see the south park where the underpants gnomes steal cartmans underwear?
Actually, it was Butters' underpants.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

DADINK13 wrote:
Axilla wrote:My friend put it well... "Did anyone see the south park where the underpants gnomes steal cartmans underwear?
Actually, it was Butters' underpants.
YOUR BOTH WRONG!
It was Tweak's underpants

SP - 217 - Gnomes.avi
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Okay...I made a mistake. I forgot about that.

Everything that's bad happens to Butters anyway.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

The problem is the Record Industry has been price gauging their customers since the inception of CD's. The actual cost to create the CD's is trivial compared to how much it cost to create a cassette tape. But, because of the "quality" of the music, they felt they could charge more than twice the cost of a cassette tape in the music stores. I took a class in college on the music industry (at one time I wanted to get into the technical side of TV/Film and this was one of the required classes) and we were shown documents that showed the cost of burning the CD's was less than $0.05 a disk. A majority of the cost was that giant cardboard box they put it in. Later they decided to stop doing that and got rid of the box (to appease the tree-huggers). So the Recording Industry's only justification of their high prices is the clarity of the music........

The consumers have gotten tired of it, they found a way around it by using the same rules they have always used. Copy your friends tape/cd. Now your friend is some person you've never met who lives half-way around the world.

I wish we could successfully get most people to just not buy CD's for a significant amount of time. I love music as much as the next person, but please this is ridiculous. Everybody knows the artists make most of their money of the concert tours and the merchandise sold at the arenas........
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Dont forget about the law suit the record industry lost about them illigel raising the prices of CDs. They complain everyone stop buying cds because of the P2P networks but they will no admit people stop buying CDs because they they could not afford to pay them and that they where illigeal raising the price of CDs. I tend to agree with people that paying 20buck for a cd is stupided. Recenlty one of the major lable annouct they are droping the cost ofer there cds t0 10-12 bucks. so that a bit more of a resible price and I am much more likely to buy a cds if they cost me under 15 instead of costing me over 20. I buy more cds the record complain get more of my money because I bought 2-3 cds insteado of maybe the one I would boughting for 22-23 bucks. I only buy CDs that cost that much if I really like the group and even then I am pretty iffy on doing it. Drop it to 13-15 I more likely to buy it with out a 2nd though.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Looks like the RIAA really lost this one...

(Infomation from the USA Today newspaper)
- The RIAA is backlashed against for yet another sueing

- The RIAA is backlashed for going after a 12 year old

- A P2P group that works in support of 4 of the top 3 services decides to pay of the lawsuit for the 12 year old

- A legit music downloading site gives the 12 year old $2,000 credit

Maybe the RIAA will start to learn that not only is it wrong to go after people that don't understand what they did was wrong at the time, but will also not go after people that are so young.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

Wanted to let everyone know that some great people helped to pay for reimbursement of that $2000...the RIAA just got owned :D

Hypothermia is solely responsible for this reimbursement. Check the site out, it is run by Steve from Hard OCP. I got to meet Kyle (owner of Hard OCP) at Quakecon this year and talked with him a little bit. He's an awesome guy and is all about giving computer enthusiasts and gamers what they want and he is honest even if it goes against one of his sponsors. If you haven't checked out Hard OCP or Hypothermia before, give them a whirl. There are great contests, reviews, and news. The news isn't always necessarily computer related either. If there's something really funny or weird or crazy or whatever, it gets posted.