MSN Messenger locking down it's network

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

harra
Veteran
Veteran

MSN Messenger locking down it's network

Post by harra »

I was over at the Messenger Plus! forums and read a posting by the application's creator (Patchou) that shocked me. Microsoft is going to only let those who purchase a special license develop add-in products for MSN messenger. Applications such as Trillian and Messenger Plus will no longer function unless they make special arrangements that will cost $$$ and destroy the model of providing free add-ins as we know it.

I'm only posting this on an AIM-centric forum because when it comes to the tech community, I have noticed when one company makes a major policy change and gets away with it, others tend to follow. I wonder if AOL will take a similar pursuit which would then render AIM+ absolutely useless and force us to use software developed by "preferred" vendors (preferred meaning it was developed with the purchased SDK)?

Here is a link to the Forum post that I read on the Messenger Plus! forums:

http://msgplus.mybboard.com/showthread.php?tid=15582

ETA:

From what I've read this move will also deny all non-M$ Operating Systems access to the MSN Messenger network

ETA2:

Further reading on www.mess.be indicates that there is rumor that Yahoo is also entertaining the idea of charging for 3rd Party access to their network. That will leave AOL as the only free access to 3rd Party access. If the rumors about DeadAIM are true, then AOL may be looking for an "official" 3rd party and then lock all others out without paying. (Please don't turn this into a DeadAIM thread. I was just using it as an example)
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Re: MSN Messenger locking down it's network

Post by Anthony »

harra wrote:ETA2:

Further reading on www.mess.be indicates that there is rumor that Yahoo is also entertaining the idea of charging for 3rd Party access to their network. That will leave AOL as the only free access to 3rd Party access. If the rumors about DeadAIM are true, then AOL may be looking for an "official" 3rd party and then lock all others out without paying. (Please don't turn this into a DeadAIM thread. I was just using it as an example)
We could hope however that AOL would use this to help instead of push people away. After all if your the only system that allows this sort of thing, then people that want to change the way the program works will still be able to and continue to use AIM over anything else.

The one thing I want to know is why Yahoo would start to charge 3rd party developers... Don't you need them in the first place to charge them?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

The crux of the argument is that the insurgence of 3rd party apps (add-ins, clients, etc) is causing bandwidth issues the companies aren't liking. In other words, if there is bandwidth on their network, they want it coming from applications they wrote or sanctioned.

I have a strong feeling AOL will follow trend and eventually go with the same model. It is sad, but I can kind of agree with them. It's kind of like having a swimming pool and you don't care if the neighborhood kids come over and use it, but eventually you start noticing that more and more people are coming over and throwing backyard barbeques at your pool. Then you start getting complaints about the water temperature and the pH levels. Eventually, you just put a lock on the your gate and only give the key to those you really trust and want over.

This is kind of what I'm hearing is going on. A lot of the 3rd party developers are bitching and moaning to MSN and complaining about a free service that they have gratiously been allowed access to. They are getting tired of the complaint about things that M$ feels aren't there fault but the fault of all the non-M$ traffic.

I read somewhere that Yahoo is mainly following M$ because M$ is doing it. Stopping the problem before it begins.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

you konw that might explain why AOL megerd deadAIM with it
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What bandwidth?!

AIM+ uses a entire 0.00000 kb of AOL's bandwidth

DeadAIM the same

MSN+ the same as far as I know...

Can someone name on any client that uses bandwidth that is a add-on... Maybe the big cheeses are confusing add-ons with program replacements... like GAIM.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Their goal is to get rid of 3rd Party clients. But from the wording of the statement by M$ it looks like their endeavor to hamper 3rd Party clients is also going to make it difficult for 3rd Party add-ins.
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well you forget one thing Phase AIM+ and DeadAIM dont suck up any bandwith but they do take out the adversiment
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I didn't forget anything. That's simply not the issue here, and if it is then they should state that... Not blame it on something else.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Anthony is correct. The issue is mainly being directed at companies that develop products such as Trillian. It has nothing to do with the fact that ads are being removed but the fact that a client developed by someone other than the owner of the network.

I have posted a question on the Messenger Plus forum for the developer to explain why this new policy affects add-in developers.
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I got a few replies already to my post on the Messenger Plus forums. Most of them believe that this doesn't impact the developers of Add-ins. I'm waiting for the developer of Messenger Plus to weigh-in on my question.

I was told that the only reason it was brought up was because a lot of people use Trillian
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well I read that guys news. I dont blame them for cutting off access to there network. It cost them money to maintain that amoung of bandwith and the other programs are hijacking it. AOL has been trying to cut off trillain for ages.

What I want to learn more about it M$ dissableing access for all non M$ OS now that is just shooting them selves in the foot.
I dont uses any add on for MSN message hell I dont even use MSN message. Window Message works just fine and has no add no pops and less crap on the display
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

If AOL cuts of 3rd party client support (such as GAIM)... that means GAIM may have to pay a liscence fee to keep connected to their network.

If that's the case, the end users may end up paying fees to use the software altogether. Which totally defeats the purpose of an Open Source GPL program. (in other words, a free program)

Which is total crap.. because the AIM version for Linux is still way back in version 2.x or 3.x ..i can't remember which.

I think we need to start a petition of some sort of this stuff actually takes place.

---
Also, a question. One of you mentioned other clients are hijacking their bandwidth?!?
What's the difference if I use GAIM or the AIM Linux version. It's the same amount of bandwidth.. as far as I can see. I'm only connected to the server once. I only use bandwidth when I click the "send" button on my IM Screen while talking to someone. Its the same no matter what client you use...
ACTUALLY!! In fact, I'm using less bandwidth because I'm using GAIM which doesnt display Adverts, which in turn doesn't have to load from their servers.. saving them bandwidth! So in reality.. I'm saving them money!!!

Also.. I think there needs to be a standard IM client which can communicate with ALL companies (AOL/ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Gabber, Jabber, Trillian, etc.) I'd just make things so much easier..
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Well you need to remeber trillan does not use it own server like GAIM. Trillain is jacking straight into there servers there for using bandwith
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Wasted,

Patchou, the creator of Messenger Plus!, gave an excellent analogy to what is going on in his post that I linked to in my original message.

If I am understanding the argument correctly, Microsoft is taking the position that they were letting these 3rd Party Clients to log onto their network without complaint after all, there is plenty of bandwidth to go around. After awhile, many of the users and developers of these 3rd party clients start complaining about the network they are logging in (service, stability, etc). Microsoft then tells everyone that the party is over, either pay up or get out of our network.

It is their network, they can do anything they want with it. They can let 3rd Parties write apps that access their network or they can tell them to all kiss off. It's their to do as they wish. What they want is to have everyone using MSN/Windows Messenger to access their network. That way they are absolutely sure what technology is being used.

Microsoft is also getting a lot of heat about security. By preventing 3rd Party apps access to their network, they can say for sure if it is just their software with vulnerabilities or not.

From what I've read, AOL is the only company that hasn't made mention of whether or not they are going to follow this business model or not. Since they are the largest, they may not even entertain such an idea.
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote:Wasted,

Patchou, the creator of Messenger Plus!, gave an excellent analogy to what is going on in his post that I linked to in my original message.

If I am understanding the argument correctly, Microsoft is taking the position that they were letting these 3rd Party Clients to log onto their network without complaint after all, there is plenty of bandwidth to go around. After awhile, many of the users and developers of these 3rd party clients start complaining about the network they are logging in (service, stability, etc). Microsoft then tells everyone that the party is over, either pay up or get out of our network.

It is their network, they can do anything they want with it. They can let 3rd Parties write apps that access their network or they can tell them to all kiss off. It's their to do as they wish. What they want is to have everyone using MSN/Windows Messenger to access their network. That way they are absolutely sure what technology is being used.

Microsoft is also getting a lot of heat about security. By preventing 3rd Party apps access to their network, they can say for sure if it is just their software with vulnerabilities or not.
Makes sense..
So does that mean if AOL Does follow suit, they'll have to eventually get around to updating their Linux Client? or maybe GAIM will become a trusted 3rd party vendor, and ya might have to pay a few bucks to use it on their network?
Hmmmm....