User Accounts

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Do you have more then one user account on your computer?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

Anthony

User Accounts

Post by Anthony »

How many people have more then one user account on their computer?

Don't include the Admin account if you don't use it.

I have two accounts... My account, and then a limited account for any other family member who might use the computer (only one of my brothers knows the password though).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Just one acount, mine (which is the admin as well).
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

What he said. Except that I rigged it so my admin account doesn't load anything up at startup. The Start Menus are NOT shared (due to meticulous maintanence), and the Registries are not either. It's a pain in the ass to do, but it's better than having to wait for everything to load up at startup with both accounts.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I only have my admin account. I wish I could just change the admin acount to my name with out making a new acount because it will be a role pain in the ass to get everything moved. That and i hate having 2 accounts on boot up and not being able to deleted one of them.

Now Before I refomated I had a 2nd account on the computer that my family could sign on to my laptop with. Normal it was my sister who would like to play around on it. I think when I go home I will just turn off all the passwords proctetion I have in the bios and my account so I dont have to make another acount for her to play with if she wants. I trust her and my family because they know the rules for my laptop. It is mine so you dont mess around with any settings but they are free to mess around on it
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I have 2. My regular user account, and Root. Which is similar to the Admin of Windows.. but it's not protected at all.
With root, unlike Windows, I can delete system files if I feel like it. Even ones that are currently in use. Hell, with the stroke of a few commands in my Bash Shell, I can erase my OS! (While I'm still using it !)
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

on my linux box i just use my root account as my normal account cuz im too lazy to make another one
BigHead
~2592~
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

i only have one other then the Admin. account. I use to have more then one user account but some programs don't work right. I don't like it.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I have only one. Unless you count my root account, which I rarely if ever use (except when using sudo, or occasionally when I must log in as root).
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

BigHead wrote:on my linux box i just use my root account as my normal account cuz im too lazy to make another one
Definately not a good idea. You can accidently do something, and there's no reversing it depending on what you did.

When using root, most of the time system changes aren't confirmed with pop-up boxes and such, as compared to the normal user account.
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

i dont have anything on my linux box so i can just reinstall
BigHead
~2592~
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Using a system as root opens up a whole lot of security holes and flaws, as well as making it very simple to accidentally make mistakes, not to mention screw up file permissions without even doing anything or knowing. Bad idea.