Dual Monitors

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

sweeney
Addict
Addict

Dual Monitors

Post by sweeney »

How would I use two monitors and have them both not show the same thing. Like, another desktop or more space or something. I have the hookup, I just don't know if you need another program, or what. I have Windows XP Pro if that helps. I have a laptop, so I have the extra plug in the back of it. Any help is appreciated.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

well it not the program. Your graphic card needs to be able to handle 2 monitors. I know on a lot of laptops all it can do is clone the desktop so both are running the same thing.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

right-click desktop->properties->settings

if your laptop supports it, there will be a drop-down box with each display on it. select your displays and choose "extend my desktop to this display"
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Master Jedi wrote:right-click desktop->properties->settings

if your laptop supports it, there will be a drop-down box with each display on it. select your displays and choose "extend my desktop to this display"
I don't get a drop-down box. I get a slider. Although, while checking this, I noticed something. Under "Display:" it says Multiple Monitors. What does this mean?
Attachments
displaysettings.jpg
displaysettings.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 6242 times
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

That means it doesnt support that
BigHead
~2592~
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

That should be a drop down menu there.

What is the model of that laptop?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

THAT means his desktop is replicated across both displays. (one desktop, two displays). To have a desktop span multiple monitors, you should see something like this.
Attachments
sample.gif
sample.gif (31.72 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
BaZ

Post by BaZ »

so does that mean yours can display two? and on my settings it shows 1, 2, 3 ?meaing i can display 3?
Attachments
Sorry for the crappy displat, i transferred it from paint to MS Photo Editor, then it looked funny
Sorry for the crappy displat, i transferred it from paint to MS Photo Editor, then it looked funny
displayproperties.gif (66.15 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
Last edited by BaZ on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Why take over the World. When you can build your own?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You can do something like this:

http://www.phasedma.com/uploaded/dual.jpg

Or just have the same thing display on both screens.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

BaZ wrote:so does that mean yours can display two? and on my settings it shows 1, 2, 3 ?meaing i can display 3?
It'll show one display for each compatible graphics output. I don't remember the maximum...it's like 8 displays or something.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Alright, you know what, Phase? I'm not a personal fan of Avril's music, but damn, she's certainly not bad looking...
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Alright, knowing the fact that i cant use two monitors to show different things, Is there a way I can hook up two, under different resolutions? Say, to have one at 800×600 and the other at 1024×768?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Michael wrote:Alright, you know what, Phase? I'm not a personal fan of Avril's music, but damn, she's certainly not bad looking...
I didn't see that before so... She isn't exactly "hot"... But she sure is in that picture...

As far as the last question... As far as I can find the answer is no. You also can't set diffrent wallpapers per screen. What you could do is merge two however.

I may be wrong, and would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong though :-D.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Sweeney wrote:Alright, knowing the fact that i cant use two monitors to show different things, Is there a way I can hook up two, under different resolutions? Say, to have one at 800×600 and the other at 1024×768?
You should beable to. I have a friend as school who running 3 monitors. 2 regurl monitors and a TV all 3 are running a diffent resolutions. I remeber looking at the setting on my laptop back at school and it is capible of setting up 2 monitors at diffent relutions. I would post a picture of it but I left the power cord to my laptop at school and the bat is currently dead. When I get back I show a screen shot of it
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Wait a min - I'm a idiot...

Ya you can do it...

In the display settings just click the second/third/first/whatever display to effect that screen.

The wallpaper thing still holds true though.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ