Wanting to upgrade RAM..

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Wanting to upgrade RAM..

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

I want to upgrade my 256mb DDR SDRAM up to something with 512 or 1 gig... but i don't know what the difference is in the names... such as DDR SDRAM or just DDR RAM. What is the difference in the names. I found 512mb DDR RAM for 50 bucks but my computer has DDR SDRAM so i just need to know what that means..

and what does everyone suggest?
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
fuuucckkers

Re: Wanting to upgrade RAM..

Post by fuuucckkers »

[]DaT_MaNN03 wrote:I want to upgrade my 256mb DDR SDRAM up to something with 512 or 1 gig... but i don't know what the difference is in the names... such as DDR SDRAM or just DDR RAM. What is the difference in the names. I found 512mb DDR RAM for 50 bucks but my computer has DDR SDRAM so i just need to know what that means..

and what does everyone suggest?
The higher the better... but once you get to a certain amount, you'll just get a larger overhead... and it'll kind of be pointless to have. (eg. 1GB)-- Unless you have XP :roll:

Just get the DDR upwards of 512 or maybe higher.. either PC3200, or PC2700, PC2100. Then there's also the decision of getting that same RAM with ECC (Error Correction Checking), but you don't really need it.. plus it's more expensive. .. but make sure you get whatever your boards supports. You don't wanna go frying any of your components. :wink:
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

haha yeah i get ya

i have WinXP Home, AMD Athlon 2400+ processor, but im the only one that uses this computer too. since it is mine .... haha
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

DDR Ram and DDR SDRAM is the same thing (i think)
BigHead
~2592~
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

SDRAM vs DRAM used to matter back in the days of SDR...all DDR is SDRAM (synchronous dynamic...can't remember what the advantage was)

Anyways, it's all the same when you're talking about DDR...one thing to consider about upgrading is latency. The more sticks you have in there, the higher the latency will be. Your best bet would be to limit the sticks you have in there...if you don't do any application specific tasks or some serious gaming, you won't notice a difference.

SO...512+ is a good setup for XP, so you could just buy a 512 stick and put it in the "0" slot, and put the 256 in the "1" slot and have 768 which should be pretty good :) ...or you could just get another 256 stick and that would be a great upgrade as well...you should notice a difference bumping up to 512 though.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

http://whatis.com wrote:DRAM:
Dynamic random access memory (DRAM) is the most common kind of random access memory (RAM) for personal computers and workstations. memory is the network of electrically-charged points in which a computer stores quickly accessible data in the form of 0s and 1s. Random access means that the PC processor can access any part of the memory or data storage space directly rather than having to proceed sequentially from some starting place. DRAM is dynamic in that, unlike static RAM (SRAM), it needs to have its storage cells refreshed or given a new electronic charge every few milliseconds. Static RAM does not need refreshing because it operates on the principle of moving current that is switched in one of two directions rather than a storage cell that holds a charge in place. Static RAM is generally used for cache memory, which can be accessed more quickly than DRAM.

DRAM stores each bit in a storage cell consisting of a capacitor and a transistor. Capacitors tend to lose their charge rather quickly; thus, the need for recharging. A variety of other RAM interfaces to the computer exist. These include: EDO RAM and SDRAM.
SDRAM:
SDRAM (synchronous DRAM) is a generic name for various kinds of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) that are synchronized with the clock speed that the microprocessor is optimized for. This tends to increase the number of instructions that the processor can perform in a given time. The speed of SDRAM is rated in MHz rather than in nanoseconds (ns). This makes it easier to compare the bus speed and the RAM chip speed. You can convert the RAM clock speed to nanoseconds by dividing the chip speed into 1 billion ns (which is one second). For example, an 83 MHz RAM would be equivalent to 12 ns.
DDR:
DDR SDRAM (double data rate SDRAM) is synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM) that can theoretically improve memory clock speed to at least 200 MHz. It activates output on both the rising and falling edge of the system clock rather than on just the rising edge, potentially doubling output.
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Dang... and I was actually gonna say that... lol
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

while on the topic how can I figure out what type of ram my laptop takes because I need to add at least a 256 strip to get it up to 512 (I would rather be 768) all I know is it is moble ram but I dont know how to tell what type (laptop is a year old)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

find your laptop at http://www.crucial.com/ then right it down and buy the RAM somewhere else
BigHead
~2592~