Whats the best video game console?

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

The best video game console

Playstation 2
40%
Game Cube
15%
X-Box
25%
Originals (N64, PS1, etc.)
5%
Others
15%

Total votes: 20

fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

jester22c wrote:The SNES is still my favorite system over all. I think it always will be :) The games that were released on it simply cannot be outdone unless they are redone. eg: Chrono Trigger, The entire Mario series (especially RPG), etc. SNES had some of the best RPGs that I have ever played to date on any system. It is a real shame the direction things have gone for nintendo. Now I am hearing rumors of them not releasing another system. Sad, truly sad.
Where about do you hear these rumors of no more Nintendo Consoles???
I would like to know if you could provide a link...
If Nintendo were to die and get tossed to the video game graveyard, I am going to cry. Seriously.. as a member of the younger generation of "young adults" .. and part of the "Nintendo Generation"... I would hate to see Nintendo stop producing consoles. To only become a video game developer. AH!! Im getting pissed just thinking about it.. if Nintendo goes away...what the hell?! That would leave the XBOX..with it's multi-billion dollar funding..and then Sony. :evil:
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

i think that sometime in the future sony is gonna buy out nintendo for the games, and make some mario games, even tho there running out of ideas for them...the newest mario game sounded poor....but if nintendo isnt making the profits microsoft or sony is gonna buy them.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

aclauser wrote:If I had to pick the largest traitor it would be Rare.
xWastedMindx wrote:As a side note, the largest traiter: (dum dum dummm) RareWare! For allowing themselves to be purchased by Micro$oft for $350 million dollars.
Yea, and no thanks to RareWare giving in, Perfect Dark 2 will not be on the GameCube like it was orignally planned, but instead on the xBox. God damn you MS. :evil: :evil:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

xWastedMindx wrote:Where about do you hear these rumors of no more Nintendo Consoles???
I would like to know if you could provide a link...
If Nintendo were to die and get tossed to the video game graveyard, I am going to cry. Seriously.. as a member of the younger generation of "young adults" .. and part of the "Nintendo Generation"... I would hate to see Nintendo stop producing consoles. To only become a video game developer. AH!! Im getting pissed just thinking about it.. if Nintendo goes away...what the hell?! That would leave the XBOX..with it's multi-billion dollar funding..and then Sony. :evil:
I have heard it from friends and read rumors of it online in various places. Nothing I read online was official in any sense, just rumors. I don't know if they are true or not. If I can find links to what I read I'll post them, but this was a while back.

I too grew up with Nintendo, and while I would be very sad to see them go for nostalgia sake.. I certainly do not like the direction they are headed, reguardless of whether or not they are going to release another console.
:D
ZildjianB

Post by ZildjianB »

All the Pro-PS2 posts make some good points. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what each system can and cannot do, so I thought I’d stand up in front of the firing squad and take a crack at explaining a bit more about the XBOX, and how it differs with the other systems. DADINK13’s post covers most of the points brought up thus far, so I’ll base this off it for now.
DADINK13 wrote:The xBox is nothing more than MS trying to enter yet another market and take it over..but yet with each box they sell, they loose money.
How many different markets is Sony in?? Quite a few. Nintendo is the only one of these three companies that is apparently dedicated solely to the gaming industry. Yes, MS has entered another market to make money. Good for them, this is a capitalist economy after all. Why fear competition or innovation?

Yes, MS loses money on each system they sell so that they can make money on games and accessories. Not familiar with this tactic? You see it ever time you buy blades for your razor (assuming you shave :)). That’s where the profit is made. This allows consumers to buy a superior system at the same price as the PS2. This is a great strategy--especially since MS can afford to lose money initially and reap the benefits later.
DADINK13 wrote:Sure, the xBox has better graphics--because it's built with PC technology. nVidia-designed the graphics core, and Intel makes the CPU. Sony and Nintendo go proprietary--why? Because they have all the years of expreience behind them.
The XBOX’s PC technology is one of its best features. This technology is proven and is why the XBOX has the ability to do more than any previous gaming console. Furthermore, the development library is based on DirectX 8, which makes game development MUCH easier on developers--as opposed to learning proprietary development libraries. Plus, XBOX games can be ported to and from the PC with greater ease--a benefit for all gamers.

ATI developed the GameCube's “Flipper” GPU, not Nintendo. Nintendo has more “years of experience” with game consoles than Sony, and the PS2 is now the only modern console with a proprietary GPU.
DADINK13 wrote:The Nintendo GameCube does not play DVDs. xBox requires the purchase of a DVD playback kit to play DVDs. The PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box.
Yes, the PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box; however, there are a couple of things to keep in mind: (1) PS2 does not come with a remote control (everyone I know who owns a PS2 has made this additional purchase); and (2) PS2 DVD performance does not match that of the XBOX. XBOX sports game and DVD HDTV support, and also supports progressive scan. PS2 does not. PS2 has had serious problems with image quality and some sound quality during DVD Playback. Audio/Video Sync., Audio/Video Skipping, and Playback Failure were especially common with early PS2s.

In an attempt to rectify both of these issues PS2 owners need to purchase Sony's "DVD Remote Control with IR Receiver Unit" that sells for about $20 separately from the PS2. If you have an older PS2, this kit requires an 8MB PS2 Memory card to function, which retails for about $25. That comes to a grand total between $20-$45 depending on which version of the PS2 you have. This kit also includes the latest DVD drivers for the PS2 in order to help resolve the PS2’s DVD playback difficulties, as well as give the PS2 a few more DVD playback features.

The Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit is a one time $30 purchase and does not require use of a memory card. It contains a remote and an IR port that activates the XBOX’s DVD playback ability.

In my opinion, the two systems seem about even with the additional costs associated with DVD playback. Keep in mind that both systems were developed first as game consoles, with DVD playback considered “icing on the cake.”
DADINK13 wrote:PS2 supports Dolby DTS 5.1 Sound via optical output at the back of the console. xBox does not have optical out..or at least I think so. GameCube supports Pro-Logic II.
XBOX does support an optical out, but it requires the Advanced or High Definition AV Pack. The XBOX is capable of real time Dolby Digital 5.1 and AC3 (3D Audio) encoding via hardware. PS2 does not have hardware capable of real time 5.1 or AC3 audio encoding. This means you do not experience 5.1 audio during game play with the PS2, only during cutscenes and cinematics. Furthermore, the XBOX has 256 audio channels vs. PS2’s 48 audio channels vs. GameCube’s 64 audio channels.
DADINK13 wrote:Yea, the xBox has a built-in harddrive, but the only real use of it is to copy your audio CDs onto it to play them back while playing Project Gotham..which isn't even that good of a racing game compared to the greatest racing game ever made: Gran Turismo 3. And since games are saved onto the harddrive, the only way to transport your saved games or other stuff is to either bring your box with you, or (surprise) buy a memory card.
The XBOX’s hard drive has many uses. Yes, you can download songs to the hard drive for playback during some games, or at your leisure. However, the hard drive allows you to save and load as many games as you like, and much faster than you can with memory cards. It also serves as a buffer area for game data extracted from DVDs. Basically, it is a huge time-saver and gives developers a ton of flexibility. Furthermore, it is simple to quickly transfer any saved game from the hard drive to a memory card so that it can be transported to another XBOX. The XBOX hard drive system is a huge advantage over PS2’s memory card system.
SkatePhilly

Post by SkatePhilly »

Just got a PS2 today and I love it all though it skip's once and a while I'm watching DVD's I was woundering wether it was just mine or any one else has that problem?
Check out my My Site
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

Mine doesn't skip while watching DVD's but you do have to watch out for overheating.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just got an XBOX today and I love it. It has great graphics...but anything would when upgrading from a N64 :wink:.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

KooLTaB101 wrote:I just got an XBOX today and I love it. It has great graphics...but anything would when upgrading from a N64 :wink:.
Great graphics??? Of course it does. It has an nVidia GeForce 3 inside of it.
It's nothing but a mini-computer..it even has the games being developed with DirectX to make PC ports easier, and it makes the games easier to develop for the programmers.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:It's nothing but a mini-computer..it even has the games being developed with DirectX to make PC ports easier, and it makes the games easier to develop for the programmers.
Exactly. That's why the first few Dreamcast games looked so good. If my memory serves me correctly, the BIOS for the Dreamcast was written in C++ or some other common programming language.
whosurdaddy

Post by whosurdaddy »

i think all the stuff with graphics and sound on dvd playback, comparing xbox and ps2 is way too "nitty gritty" unless you have the plasma hdtv tv, than idont think your gonna notice much of a difference with video, and unless you have a nice sound system(which i do, and dont notice anything negative about it) it doesnt really matter. most of the seperation of the two would be in gameplay graphics.
~sorry bout the run-on sentences
ImmortalDragon
Banned
Banned

Post by ImmortalDragon »

ZildjianB wrote:All the Pro-PS2 posts make some good points. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what each system can and cannot do, so I thought I’d stand up in front of the firing squad and take a crack at explaining a bit more about the XBOX, and how it differs with the other systems. DADINK13’s post covers most of the points brought up thus far, so I’ll base this off it for now.
DADINK13 wrote:The xBox is nothing more than MS trying to enter yet another market and take it over..but yet with each box they sell, they loose money.
How many different markets is Sony in?? Quite a few. Nintendo is the only one of these three companies that is apparently dedicated solely to the gaming industry. Yes, MS has entered another market to make money. Good for them, this is a capitalist economy after all. Why fear competition or innovation?

Yes, MS loses money on each system they sell so that they can make money on games and accessories. Not familiar with this tactic? You see it ever time you buy blades for your razor (assuming you shave :)). That’s where the profit is made. This allows consumers to buy a superior system at the same price as the PS2. This is a great strategy--especially since MS can afford to lose money initially and reap the benefits later.
DADINK13 wrote:Sure, the xBox has better graphics--because it's built with PC technology. nVidia-designed the graphics core, and Intel makes the CPU. Sony and Nintendo go proprietary--why? Because they have all the years of expreience behind them.
The XBOX’s PC technology is one of its best features. This technology is proven and is why the XBOX has the ability to do more than any previous gaming console. Furthermore, the development library is based on DirectX 8, which makes game development MUCH easier on developers--as opposed to learning proprietary development libraries. Plus, XBOX games can be ported to and from the PC with greater ease--a benefit for all gamers.

ATI developed the GameCube's “Flipper” GPU, not Nintendo. Nintendo has more “years of experience” with game consoles than Sony, and the PS2 is now the only modern console with a proprietary GPU.
DADINK13 wrote:The Nintendo GameCube does not play DVDs. xBox requires the purchase of a DVD playback kit to play DVDs. The PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box.
Yes, the PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box; however, there are a couple of things to keep in mind: (1) PS2 does not come with a remote control (everyone I know who owns a PS2 has made this additional purchase); and (2) PS2 DVD performance does not match that of the XBOX. XBOX sports game and DVD HDTV support, and also supports progressive scan. PS2 does not. PS2 has had serious problems with image quality and some sound quality during DVD Playback. Audio/Video Sync., Audio/Video Skipping, and Playback Failure were especially common with early PS2s.

In an attempt to rectify both of these issues PS2 owners need to purchase Sony's "DVD Remote Control with IR Receiver Unit" that sells for about $20 separately from the PS2. If you have an older PS2, this kit requires an 8MB PS2 Memory card to function, which retails for about $25. That comes to a grand total between $20-$45 depending on which version of the PS2 you have. This kit also includes the latest DVD drivers for the PS2 in order to help resolve the PS2’s DVD playback difficulties, as well as give the PS2 a few more DVD playback features.

The Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit is a one time $30 purchase and does not require use of a memory card. It contains a remote and an IR port that activates the XBOX’s DVD playback ability.

In my opinion, the two systems seem about even with the additional costs associated with DVD playback. Keep in mind that both systems were developed first as game consoles, with DVD playback considered “icing on the cake.”
DADINK13 wrote:PS2 supports Dolby DTS 5.1 Sound via optical output at the back of the console. xBox does not have optical out..or at least I think so. GameCube supports Pro-Logic II.
XBOX does support an optical out, but it requires the Advanced or High Definition AV Pack. The XBOX is capable of real time Dolby Digital 5.1 and AC3 (3D Audio) encoding via hardware. PS2 does not have hardware capable of real time 5.1 or AC3 audio encoding. This means you do not experience 5.1 audio during game play with the PS2, only during cutscenes and cinematics. Furthermore, the XBOX has 256 audio channels vs. PS2’s 48 audio channels vs. GameCube’s 64 audio channels.
DADINK13 wrote:Yea, the xBox has a built-in harddrive, but the only real use of it is to copy your audio CDs onto it to play them back while playing Project Gotham..which isn't even that good of a racing game compared to the greatest racing game ever made: Gran Turismo 3. And since games are saved onto the harddrive, the only way to transport your saved games or other stuff is to either bring your box with you, or (surprise) buy a memory card.
The XBOX’s hard drive has many uses. Yes, you can download songs to the hard drive for playback during some games, or at your leisure. However, the hard drive allows you to save and load as many games as you like, and much faster than you can with memory cards. It also serves as a buffer area for game data extracted from DVDs. Basically, it is a huge time-saver and gives developers a ton of flexibility. Furthermore, it is simple to quickly transfer any saved game from the hard drive to a memory card so that it can be transported to another XBOX. The XBOX hard drive system is a huge advantage over PS2’s memory card system.
all that right there...all crap
your comparing system to system
but you dont play the system
you play the game
the games are what really matter, not what system can outdo the other
But time flows like a river...
And history repeats...

http://boards.sytes.net
^^MY BOARDS^^
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

ImmortalDragon wrote: all that right there...all crap
your comparing system to system
but you dont play the system
you play the game
the games are what really matter, not what system can outdo the other

You know what?? I never really thought about it, but you're absolutely right. It's the games that really matter. If the gameplay sucks, the story lines suck, if the controls suck, then in the end the system will fall into the Video Game Graveyard.

What I've noticed over the past few years with this new generation of consoles, is that it's all about graphics. Graphics this- "Ohh I have a GeForce3 in mine." Graphics That- " Ohh I have an ATI card in mine(dubbed the Flipper).

You know what though?? It's exactly as ImmortalDragon put it. The games are what matters, not what's inside the box(specifically speaking hardware). If Im going to play a game, I want the gameplay to be amazing, the controls to be at least decent, and the sounds/music has to be very good for me to get into a game that's going to take 30-40 gameplay hours to complete.

To me, graphics come last in my list of things to look for in a game. If it were up to me.. I would still buy NES, SNES, and Genesis games. But now they're very rare to find..and if you find a good/popular game..it's still gona cost just as much as it did back when it was brand new.

I say to hell with the new consoles and just stick with your trusty classic consoles/games. :D
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

i would take PS2 over XBOX.
ZildjianB wrote:Xbox has better graphics than any of the other consoles. Plus, it comes out of the box with a built in hard drive and NIC. Xbox can also play DVDs and has 5.1 sound. Xbox Live has tons of MS $$ behind it and is loads of fun. For a one year old system, the games have been awesome, and are only getting better.
PFFFT!!! what good games do they have? Halo and Splinter cell? i dontr like any of their sports games compared to PS2, ps2 sports are A LOT better. and how can the XBOX have better graphics? GC PS2 and XBOX all are 128-bit systems. Also, XBOX is so damn big, and what year is it? since its microsoft it should be the size of agamecube atleast... and those controllers are so damn bulky.
ZildjianB wrote:Splinter Cell is sweet. No need to port it to PS2... it's already on the best console.
you cant tell because its everyones opinin against another... i would like to see it on ps2. even if u think xbox is the better system or not, thats no reason to not make it on gc or ps2.
Big-O Mark wrote:I was just about to say something along those lines :). I have an 8-bit NES and an Atari system with no number!
I also have an atari system... all it says on the console is "Video Computer System".
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

ZildjianB wrote:The Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit is a one time $30 purchase and does not require use of a memory card. It contains a remote and an IR port that activates the XBOX’s DVD playback ability.
well atleast sony had the dvd playback alrdy in it, which was still a hassle, and both systems require purchase of updated or dvd playback. but sony ps2 memory cards are not $25, thats if you get the sony brand, you can find them a lot cheaper.
ZildjianB wrote:Yes, the PS2 plays DVDs right out of the box; however, there are a couple of things to keep in mind: (1) PS2 does not come with a remote control (everyone I know who owns a PS2 has made this additional purchase); and (2) PS2 DVD performance does not match that of the XBOX. XBOX sports game and DVD HDTV support, and also supports progressive scan. PS2 does not. PS2 has had serious problems with image quality and some sound quality during DVD Playback. Audio/Video Sync., Audio/Video Skipping, and Playback Failure were especially common with early PS2s.
i dont see why you have the "have to buy a remote and ir receiever seperate" as a downside to ps2 and dvd, when the xbox requires you to buy a remote and dvd compatibility.
ZildjianB wrote:In my opinion, the two systems seem about even with the additional costs associated with DVD playback. Keep in mind that both systems were developed first as game consoles, with DVD playback considered “icing on the cake.”
Correction: PS2 was the first with DVD playback, PS2 was the first to "ice the cake".