hkSFV crashes when creating .sfv or .md5 in root directory

Report problems you've encountered using hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

stu_pidone

hkSFV crashes when creating .sfv or .md5 in root directory

Post by stu_pidone »

Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? hkSFV seems to hang if I try to make an .sfv or .md5 from a selection of files when they exist in a root directory such as c:\
However, If I place/move the same files into a folder like c:\temp this doesn't occur.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I tried it, and the same happened for me as well. I think the reason could be is that when you're trying to create the MD5 or SFV, your loading from the root directory C:\ or D:\ whatever it may be (as you already stated) ..but the program freezes up because your trying to load the system files in as well.

If you actually check your root folder, you have the Windows Swap File in there 'Win386.SWP', which can be a fairly large file in itself. Maybe hkSFV can't handle loading a file that large? Or maybe it's because all the system files can't load in properly? It's probably neither of those options any possibly something more simple to fix, but those are the only things I can think of.

I think Ryan should definately look into this. :)
Stu Pidone

Post by Stu Pidone »

Thank you for verifying this for me.

Actually, I usually only select certain files to include in the sfv, and none of them are system files. It usually happens that I do most of my work on a Drive J: where I keep my files and documents. Drive J is just a partition on my IDE:0 Hard Drive.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I tried to recreate this bug on my machine and was unable to do it. I can't get hkSFV to crash :D. What OS are you guys using? I'm pretty sure Wasted is using Win98SE, so perhaps it's a bug with Win9x.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I found and fixed one bug related to this: trying to create an SFV in the root of a drive without "prompt for filename" would attempt to make a file with an invalid name (which seemed to then end up in hkSFV's install directory). This is now fixed.

However, there are at least two other bugs related to this.

1) Creating an SFV for a directory with a huge number of files will cause hkSFV to "hang" while it chugs through the directories looking for files. It hasn't actually crashed, but it can easily take several minutes, and it won't respond at all (or even update its display) during this time.

2) An infinite loop can occur while creating an SFV file when one of the files in its list is inaccessible (if you include your swap (.SWP) file, for example). For some reason it will keep looking for renames of this file over and over again.

More breaking news as it unfolds.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
masken

Post by masken »

Big-O Ryan wrote:1) Creating an SFV for a directory with a huge number of files will cause hkSFV to "hang" while it chugs through the directories looking for files. It hasn't actually crashed, but it can easily take several minutes, and it won't respond at all (or even update its display) during this time.

2) An infinite loop can occur while creating an SFV file when one of the files in its list is inaccessible (if you include your swap (.SWP) file, for example). For some reason it will keep looking for renames of this file over and over again.

More breaking news as it unfolds.
1. Can this be solved by putting the listing operation in a separate thread (and to the user show an hourglass or progress meter etc)?

2. There must be ways to check filehandles on files included for checksum creation? Ie; if the file is locked, report that no sum can be generated for this file. Just suggestions :)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

masken-

Definitely, these problems should be quite solvable in the way you described. These 2 bugs pose pretty big problems (and can occur in other situations besides the scenario above), so hopefully I will get a chance to address them soon.

Thanks for your continued interest!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Big-O Ryan wrote:2) An infinite loop can occur while creating an SFV file when one of the files in its list is inaccessible (if you include your swap (.SWP) file, for example). For some reason it will keep looking for renames of this file over and over again.
This part of this bug has been fixed and is in testing.
-Ryan
Big-O Software