PAR file support

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

martoQ

PAR file support

Post by martoQ »

Have you guys considered adding PAR file support. So you could create an SFV file as well as PAR files all in one smooth stroke instead of having to use your app and then going and having to use an app like mirror?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I was very intrigued by these guys since they first started popping up on the newsgroups - all I can say for now is that I can't promise anything, but it's on my list :-)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
hoozdapimp

not only creating...

Post by hoozdapimp »

heck, you could remove the need for smartpar all together if you could restore from the par files too! that would be even better!
redbo0m

Post by redbo0m »

..par??
'from my mouth to my ring all you see is BLING BLING!'
hoozdapimp

Post by hoozdapimp »

par files are "parity files"...basically they let you recover missing volumes in an archive...say for instance you had a 700mb file split into chunks of 15mb with winrar...of course you end up with around 45-50 pieces...now say you're downloading them but for user A he is missing volume 24, user B is missing volume 9, and user C is missing volume 38 (all missing different volumes..) if the person who posted the file (on newsgroups usually) uploaded parity files, with just one parity file of 15mb it would be able to restore person A,B,and C's missing file...essentially erasing the need for that original poster to repost 3 files. you can also have multiple par files for a set that lets you recover more than one missing file...basically you need a par file for each missing set in the archive. so if you're missing 5 volumes, you need 5 par(ity) files.
hope that explains it good enough 8)

Post by Guest »

If pars are implemented, make it nothing like mirror or smartpar, both are very limited and show good files as bad... FSRaid is the program to get ideas from (like knowing misnamed files)
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Anonymous wrote:(like knowing misnamed files)
This feature is already included in .SFV and .MD5 support, so hopefully when .PAR support is finalized, hopefully it will be included :D. Adding .PAR support is definitely on the list for hkSFV, no idea when it will be ready for certain, so just keep checking back for updates!

.PAR checking has been added to hkSFV, with creation and rebuilding still in development.
-Mark
Big-O Software