AIM+ Realization (advertisement)

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

AIM+ Realization (advertisement)

Post by Plasma2002b »

I was readin another post and was gonna reply,, but thought it might as well go into a new topic......
what i was thinkin was expand on the AIM+ advertisement. I see that you have a thing that can let people on AIM see that your using AIM+ from your info.... but me, personally, i hate my info being invaded, lol.

So, what ya do is make it so like, AIM+ users can tell wether sum1 else is using AIM+ or not..... i dunno... maybe like add a seperate different icon next to the SN on the list or sumthin.

This keeps the info invasion down. Cause i want people to know that im using it, but i dont want it in my info

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Your idea doesn't really tell other people about AIM+, though, it relies on you telling them about AIM+. Don't get me wrong, I also think it would be cool to know who's using AIM+ or not, but it's not really something I can do.

I am really eager to hear ideas about how to spread the knowledge of AIM+, though. Putting an AIM+ link in your profile (if not using AIM+ option, just the linked word AIM+..) spreads the word pretty well. It seems to me the easiest way to make sure your friends know about it, but if you feel 'invaded' - well, that's why it's an option.. It's off by default, but I could probably get a lot more people to use that option if I made it on by default..

Let me know what else you think we could do to get more people into AIM+.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

Big-O Ryan wrote:Let me know what else you think we could do to get more people into AIM+.
hmmm.... welll.... just try other forms of advertisement. lol.... when i first made my server i was like hyped about it and stuff and i decided to do a liil work and i managed to get i think it was 40,000 individual (give or take on the indivual, lol) in about 3 and a half months..... i thihk that what i had.... whatever it was i know it was like, really good, lol.

But the thing is, the part of my site i was advertising wasnt much to flip over. What it did was insert the persons SN into a story and it was just for a laugh. (if ya wanna see what i mean, go here http://aim.servebeer.com?YourNameHere((if this looks familiar to you, dont bother telling me, lol, of course i know where i got it))) Really, i was just seeing how many hits i could get. So i stoped advertising. And since then i been waiting for a good reason to start doin wat i was doin again.... i need content etc.....

but yea.... just bust out with the mass advertisement :wink:

a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

Post by a big sombrero »

yea i personally dont advertise aim+ in my profile but I do tell my friends about it, I think that word of mouth is the best bet right now
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I think enough people throw a quick link in their profile and / or tell their buddies about it. AIM+ grew rather slowly at first compared to now, but there are constantly new users downloading AIM+ for the first time.

Word of mouth has done such an awesome job that there are just so many people telling so many people about it that it's spreading like crazy :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Plasma2002b wrote:try other forms of advertisement
Plastma2002b wrote:bust out with the mass advertisement
Both excellent ideas. Specific, too.

I'll try the first idea, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the second. :roll:

Mood: sarcastic.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

lmao........

hmm... id love to give ya guys a sample of what im talking about if ya want. Im not really just gonna come out and say exactly what im doing... cause its just a great idea and it can be takin so easily.

But yea... reply

mrn121
Just Registered
Just Registered

Go for it...

Post by mrn121 »

Long time reader, first time poster....

I just wanted to say that I know that a common pasttime for procrastinating college students such as myself is to check out people's away messages and profiles, and having that link that the bottom seems to be doing a good job of spreading the word. I added that to my profile a while back, and shortly thereafter I started to notice that people who are on my buddy list, but who I haven't talked to about the software, had that in their own profiles. Whether they heard about it from me or from someone else, I can't really prove, but I think that the small link in the profile can do a great deal for you.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that I really wouldn't mind if you make that link show up by default. Those who don't want to advertise this kickass software can take the time to turn that off, but this way you will get the advertising assistance of those who don't care either way about putting that in there, which currently you aren't getting.

Just a thought,
MIKE
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

actually, it is the default.

When you install AIM+, it already has the option checked to have a link in the profile.

Some of ya may have gottem me wrong when i said that above.

I agree with the advertising in the profile. Its just that MY profile already has a lot of html markup and the first time i did it, it kinda yea..... too much. (so i made an external page with just one link to it and solved the problem.... no big deal).

But i mean, i DO tell people to go here and download the program and join in on the discussions. I just dont have the link in my profile.

I did leave the option checked on my other two computers tho.... just not my server (plasma2002b) and my laptop (gaut brian).

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Default for "AIM+ Profile Link" is off. :)

Fairly certain that has always been the case.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Re: Go for it...

Post by DADINK13 »

mrn121 wrote:Long time reader, first time poster....

I just wanted to say that I know that a common pasttime for procrastinating college students such as myself is to check out people's away messages and profiles
Damn straight that's what we do. :D But even so, getting the word out for AIM+ would be a big thing to do. As I wander around our wonderful campus here in upstate NY, I don't see many people using AIM+. Why, I don't know. Maybe they're afraid of change. If you ask me, it's change for the better.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

DADINK: I think most people simply don't know about AIM+. I've done everything I can to make sure there's really no reason NOT to be using AIM+. And some people are reluctant to try something new, but it seems that most people who've used AIM+ dread using AIM without it.

I don't think turning the "AIM+ Profile Link" on by default would be a big deal, since you can turn it off. Maybe we'll do that in an upcoming release. As Mike said, it's definitely a 0-effort way to spread the word.

I'm sure there's more we could to do get the word out faster. Advertising on some of the popular AIM buddy-icon webpages would probably help, though I doubt I'll go that route anytime soon. There's 25,000 undergrads in my town -- maybe I need to organize a street team. :)

I'd love to run some sort of contest, as Plasma2002b was talking about, to "refer the most new AIM+ users/downloaders" -- it'd be easy to setup, but I have no prizes to give, aside from maybe a link on our home page as "AIM+'s #1 fan". :wink:
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I turned on my AIM+ link after reading this post (everyone knows it keeps me from putting too much junk in my profile)
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
bmxer_xxx
Just Registered
Just Registered

Advertisement

Post by bmxer_xxx »

When you hold your mouse over someone's sn..it says 'AOL user', or 'Internet user'....how about an 'AIM+ User' ....????
ImmortalDragon
Banned
Banned

Post by ImmortalDragon »

I did have the advertisement link in my profile till I heard AIM+3 wasn't gonna come out...
But time flows like a river...
And history repeats...

http://boards.sytes.net
^^MY BOARDS^^