The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

mrcbrown

Post by mrcbrown »

I know it wouldnt be much but I would be willing to kick down $10 via PayPal to support the software / host a mirror of he file for download. I think AIM+ is quality and I don't want the authors to feel like they havent done their job.

You have done a great job with this software and I hope something can be done to motivate you both to release this. $10 is nothing and I think most people should/would be happy to kick down some cash. I too understand what its like to finish up and have to enter the ol 'real world'

:) Best of luck guys!

-CB
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

DADINK13 wrote:1) What happened to the forums a few days before the release?
2) What happened with the website the day of the release?
3) Why are we being held so in the dark about what's really going on?
Quetions 1, 2, and 3 were all due to the ongoing harassment of Big-O Software, because of AIM+. As the release date neared, these actions intesified to the point that it was in our best interests to cancel the release of AIM+ 3.0 rather than continue to endure the attacks against us.
-Mark
Big-O Software
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

Big-O Mark wrote:
Quetions 1, 2, and 3 were all due to the ongoing harassment of Big-O Software, because of AIM+. As the release date neared, these actions intesified to the point that it was in our best interests to cancel the release of AIM+ 3.0 rather than continue to endure the attacks against us.
does this qualify as an answer????
Airitch930
Just Registered
Just Registered

sounds AOL related

Post by Airitch930 »

sounds to me like AOLTimewarner decided to kick you guys in the face by threatening with lawsuits. Man thats lame of them. (if thats really what happened) im sorry that whoever did what they did, in fact did harass you guys. You guys are awesome and i love AIM+. Hopefully, soon you guys will be able to release it. I will be waiting. :-?
sdh587

Post by sdh587 »

hell i bet i could dig up $5 or $10 in the couch and donate it.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Big-O Mark wrote:
Okay, I thought that the first two were due to the fact of stupid people harrasing you and Ryan, but why are we being held in the dark about it? Is it because it's still too fresh in your memory and you would like to let it simmer a while before you let us know what happened, or do you just not want to talk about it period?

And BTW: For everyone else, I think we all should really show Mark and Ryan how much we appreciate their hard work. I think we all should donate to Big-O in one way or another. Whether it be money, hardware, women (:o), or whatever we all can offer, we should. I know I sure as hell will be. How about it?? :D
BuckWindy

Post by BuckWindy »

Big-O Mark wrote:
Using that logic, wouldn't u think that actually releasing the update would make the attacks stop. Unless the attacks were caused by a competitor, trying to prevent u from releasing a superior product :)
PLaYaZoNe
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by PLaYaZoNe »

'if you release AIM + 3.0, we're gonna kill you'

im sure thats what these harassers said because otherwise why would they cancel a release date over some phone calls

im sure is someone that makes another one of the AIM programs who doesnt want to lose all of his users...think about it guys
PlayaZone.com - Your one stop for music online!
mrcbrown

Post by mrcbrown »

DADINK13 wrote: And BTW: For everyone else, I think we all should really show Mark and Ryan how much we appreciate their hard work. I think we all should donate to Big-O in one way or another. Whether it be money, hardware, women (:o), or whatever we all can offer, we should. I know I sure as hell will be. How about it?? :D
Well I could probably ship a few ladies their way ;) Open a PayPal account and there will be cash a flowin.

-CB
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

DADINK13 wrote:After reading all this, I have a few thoughts:

1) What happened to the forums a few days before the release?

I know I'm being a little insensitive and blunt, but these questions are probably the exact same questions everyone else is asking right now. I don't expect answers to them, but at least if Mark and/or Ryan could shed some light on this situation a little more in the near future..I think all of us would appreciate it.
I don't know for sure, but I assume that the forums and the site went down because a distrubuted denial of service attack (lots of requests for pages on the site, from different computers so you can't just block one of them) caused their database server to go down. The way their site appears to be designed everything displayed is based on information gotten out of their database, so without the database server, nothing works. I assume this because Mark said that the harrasment recently began to include their website. That answers questions #1 & #2, but as for #3, your guess is as good as mine :(.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Re: sounds AOL related

Post by DADINK13 »

Airitch930 wrote:sounds to me like AOLTimewarner decided to kick you guys in the face by threatening with lawsuits.
Yea, but if AOL/Time Warner would pull a Metallica on Big-O, why aren't they going after everyone else who makes add-ons for AIM? Look at Trillian for example: does anyone know if they're being harrassed by the corporate machine?

I'm not totally sure about AOL having anything to do with it.
BoFiS

Re: sounds AOL related

Post by BoFiS »

DADINK13 wrote:Yea, but if AOL/Time Warner would pull a Metallica on Big-O, why aren't they going after everyone else who makes add-ons for AIM? Look at Trillian for example: does anyone know if they're being harrassed by the corporate machine?

I'm not totally sure about AOL having anything to do with it.
Yeah, I agree, GAIM and Trillian and others have been out for much longer than AIM+ and they keep updating, though if you look at MyIM, that page hasn't been touched in months. They say new version coming soon, but no even estimate as to when.

As for donating to Big-O...I know I'd be willing to pay a lil if it helped AIM+ survive.
Matt

Post by Matt »

seriously...and if AOL is behind this; then why did deadaim get released? I mean...if AOL really wanted this to stop, then they would get rid of all of the addons; not just AIM+.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Hey Mark / Ryan, please answer this.

If your site was being attacked with DOS or DDOS attacks(or by any other means), and Choopa is your hosting provider, dont they have log files??
Can't you just check those log files, figure out who did it, and turn it over to the FBI. I mean seriously.. you're not going to just let these people get away with this are you??

I'm not sure who did this, and quite frankly I'm pissed.
I also have to agree PLaYaZoNe that I think it was a competitor who possibly did this.

If it was AOL don't you think DeadAIM and MyIM would also be shut down????

But.. Thanks Mark and Ryan for this product. I'll be waiting for a release sometime in the future.. and I DID NOT forget about donating to you guys... I'm just waiting till after Christmas. You'll have $20 via Paypal.
pdykstra600
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by pdykstra600 »

aol just recently shut down profilespy.com, thats why i have the idea in my head that AOL may have something to do with this.