The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

bfavre4 wrote:I just have one question. If AIM+ 3.0 was already made and done and made ready for release on Dec 11, why can't you just release it? It was done and ready anyway.
Exactly my thoughts. The software is done. Why not just release it?
asmily1

Post by asmily1 »

Why switch? AIM+ works great with anything up to AIM 5.0. 5.0 sucks anyways. I never upgraded for the sole reason that the benefit of AIM+ is greater than the benefit of AIM 5.0.

And all of you who keep being sarcastic pricks, it's time to stop. They've worked hard on this. why don't you all start coding software yourselves and then go complain 24/7
BuckWindy

Post by BuckWindy »

AnyoneEB wrote:
bfavre4 wrote:I just have one question. If AIM+ 3.0 was already made and done and made ready for release on Dec 11, why can't you just release it? It was done and ready anyway.
It probably wasn't made and still isn't made. They set Dec 11 as a deadline for themselves to finish AIM+ 3.0. They were unable to meet this deadline because of the unexpected conditions described in Mark's post.
Couldn't they have just disconnected their phones while writing the program? I mean c'mon, I feel that this is a poor excuse. It's not fair to all the loyal users who have been patiently waiting for 3.0. Why punish all of us because of the actions of a few? Why did the website just happen to go down if there was no update to download, I mean it's not like downloading vapor uses bandwidth. If you guys couldn't meet your own deadline, u shoulda never set one in the first place. Or did u just set it to appease all the annoying users who kept bugging you for an update. I would be willing to wait another month for an update, just don't tease us making empty promises.
doublea
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by doublea »

Everyone I know who has tried AIM+ loves it. It makes an annoying but very necissary program, AIM, very usable, customizable, and just downright awesome. Wether you decide to continue the project or not, Thank you for everything you've done.

Even if you do just work on it occasionally, I think hundreds of thousands of people appreciate your work, and are willing to wait. I've read hundreds of people offer to help out however they can, perhaps if you decide to discontinue development, you could release the source or pass the project on if anyone is willing to take it up?

Anyways, regardless of your decision, thank you for everything, a few select people out there may be ruining it for everyone, but I'm sure 500,000 people are thankful.

-Andrew
doublea
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by doublea »

BuckWindy,

Did you even read his post? Its people like you who discourgage their efforts. Its a free program, they don't get anything but satisfaction from making it, and your complaining about "empty promises"? Their website was attacked and people slaundered their names on the internet, and all they did was help people out? F* you buddy
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Actually, the site went down a day or two before. I was getting strange error messages stating that the board needs maintenance. I was starting to suspect the site got hacked by some "crackers" because the grammatical structure of the sentence wasn't correct.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I'd like to take this time to clarify a few things that seem to be confusing people.

It's very true that Ryan and I do not enjoy the same amount of free time we once did. Despite this fact, we have released multiple updates to hkSFV including a time-consuming total rewrite of the software. The entire code to the website was optimized to load faster and be easier for us to modify in the future. A great deal of work was completed for AIM+ 3.0, and if it weren't for the second reason in the original statement: undeserved, bitter, and vengeful harrassment, we would all be enjoying AIM+ 3.0 today. I am not going to go into specifics about these actions or the individuals who perpetrated them, as they were focussed on Ryan and it is soley his decision as to whether or not he would like to discuss this.

I am truly as bitterly disappointed about this course of action as many of you are, as I too anticipated the release of AIM+ 3.0. Few things beat out an AIM+ release day in terms of excitement here at Big-O Software. Unfortunately, the actions committed against Big-O Software make it impossible for us to release any version of AIM+ at this time :(.
-Mark
Big-O Software
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

doublea wrote:Everyone I know who has tried AIM+ loves it. It makes an annoying but very necissary program, AIM, very usable, customizable, and just downright awesome. Wether you decide to continue the project or not, Thank you for everything you've done.

Even if you do just work on it occasionally, I think hundreds of thousands of people appreciate your work, and are willing to wait. I've read hundreds of people offer to help out however they can, perhaps if you decide to discontinue development, you could release the source or pass the project on if anyone is willing to take it up?

Anyways, regardless of your decision, thank you for everything, a few select people out there may be ruining it for everyone, but I'm sure 500,000 people are thankful.

-Andrew
Hell, we all waiting long enough..I guess we could wait a little longer. AIM+ was the only thing keeping me from upgrading to AIM5. I was dying to see AIM+3 come out..and now some stupid f*ckers have to harrass Mark and Ryan for probably no reason whatsoever..and because of their actions, us loyal fans get screwed over?? What kind of crap is that?

I know it can be really annoying and whatnot, but if you know that these people are just out there to critisize you guys, why let it bother you? You know that you have a wonderful loyal fanbase who loves who you are and what you do. Do you really wanna disapoint them now?
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

well if your not going to work on it anymore, could you release the code or something so average joes like us could work on it?
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Big-O Mark wrote:Unfortunately, the actions committed against Big-O Software make it impossible for us to release any version of AIM+ at this time :(.
At this time..does this mean that eventually you two will pick it up again once the dust settles?
sdh587

what mark said

Post by sdh587 »

what actions were done to make you not be able to release it?

from what i see now is that there is not going to be one.
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

i've seen several other posts refering to this question but i have yet to see an answer: is aim+ 3.0 finished? if it is, why not just release it? and if not, would you be willing to release the incomplete source? i know there are plenty of programmers out here that would be interested in making aim+ their own, and continue with all the hard work and deication maark and ryan have already put into it.
please stop. now.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

jimmyd00gan wrote:i've seen several other posts refering to this question but i have yet to see an answer: is aim+ 3.0 finished? if it is, why not just release it? and if not, would you be willing to release the incomplete source? i know there are plenty of programmers out here that would be interested in making aim+ their own, and continue with all the hard work and deication maark and ryan have already put into it.
That would be really great if someone would do something like that. This is a peice of software that has to live on. And from the looks of it, I don't think anyone wants to let it go so easily.
sdh587

more

Post by sdh587 »

couldnt you like make it so you can download it from another site?

i mean really, the site went down the day you were going to release it and then a few days later the site is back, whats the difference?
BuckWindy

Post by BuckWindy »

doublea wrote:BuckWindy,

Did you even read his post? Its people like you who discourgage their efforts. Its a free program, they don't get anything but satisfaction from making it, and your complaining about "empty promises"? Their website was attacked and people slaundered their names on the internet, and all they did was help people out? F* you buddy
People like me? I've been recommending AIM+ to all my friends. I want to see the development of this program continue. Yes I did read his post, and I do think it's messed up that people have been harassing them. But I'm just curious as to why they would set a deadline, and then after the deadline there's no update and they mentioned they've been getting harassed for 'the past few months'??? It just seems a little fishy to me. If the program is finished, why not release it? If it's not finished, why not admit they're not done and just say something like "sorry but it's gonna take a little longer than we thought". Instead, out of nowhere, they come out with this conspiracy theory of being hacked and harassed. Just doesn't add up. I would still keep using AIM+ 2.2.1 because I don't care about 5.0 compatibility. I was looking forward to the feature of being able to rename your buddies, more than anything else. So I'm not trying to discourage their efforts, I just don't want them to 'give in' to these hackers by giving up.