aim.exe generated error

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

rls8991
Just Registered
Just Registered

aim.exe generated error

Post by rls8991 »

I'm not sure what has happened, but when you now try to log on to aim, I get the pop up window that says, "aim.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will need to restart the program. an error log is being created." I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled, but still get the same thing. Just need some help on what to do. Thanks.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Does this happen when you're using AIM or AIM+? Have you tried both? what version of AIM are you running? What OS are you running?
rls8991
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by rls8991 »

I think its aim+, my son said he did some sort've update last week. I know that I've not done any undates. I'm running Windows 2000, although I'm not sure what an OS is.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

First things first: Find out what versions of AIM and Windows you are running. The more exact, the better.

To find out what version of AIM you are running:

To find out what version of Windows you are running:
Open "My Computer."
Help --> About Windows

Can anybody provide images from Win2k?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Here is a copy from my copy of Windows 2000
Attachments
win2k.jpg
win2k.jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
rls8991
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by rls8991 »

Ok, I'm running Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and have AIM 5.1.3036. But that's only because I just reinstalled the old version of aim. My son informed me that he did the new update last week and thats when we started getting the error that I told you about earlier. The old version is working just fine, but I would really like to be able to update to the new version if you could possibly help me out. Thanks again.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

rls8991,

At this time, I'm not sure if anyone has been able to definitively determine if the problem you are encountering is related to AIM+ or not. I'm sure as soon as someone determines that answer it will be posted on this forum.

There are a lot of people experiencing problems when they upgrade the the "latest and greatest" version of AIM and they want answers as well. We are just hoping that one comes our way. Since AIM+ only guarantees 100% compatibility with versions of AIM that are 4.8 or older, there are no guarantees that a solution will be found IF it is determined that AIM+ is the one causing the problem.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed :)
rls8991
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by rls8991 »

Thanks for all your help, I'm just glad you guys were here. I had been all over the internet looking for some simple advice. Simply stumbled on you here. Just by reading other posts it has helped out tremendously and I only reinstalled the old version when I read it on another post as a suggestion, which works fine for me and the kids. Thanks again and I'm definitely going to add this website to my bookmark.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

rls8991,

Oh by the way. Welcome and now I'm glad I'm not the only other "older" person who has posted on this forum (older being late-20's and up)....lol
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

lol...I'm twenty.

and like what harra said: We're not sure whether the problem lies with AIM+ conflicting with the latest versions of AIM, or just AIM itself. But it's being worked on though. :)

Thanks for your patience.