Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

thats pretty nice$$
but i want to make more than my dad
so im gonna need to figure something out
i like programing and i dont want to change interests
8)
Bethany is cool
Plasma2002b wrote:ill open YOUR port.....!
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

rokbass wrote:care to share with me how much this field of work pays? :D
With things the way they are in the IT industry right now (downsizing, jobs being shipped to India and the Middle East) it is a very hard industry to get into right now. People are looking for education credentials (aka bachelors/masters degree), they are also looking for experience that spans beyond school/internship assignments.

But to answer your question, I've heard of programming gigs paying from between $30K - 100K
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

there we go
thats what im talkingabout
i'll take 100k
im pretty much ready to do how ever much schooling need to get there to
i want to be successful
and thats plenty more than my dad
Bethany is cool
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

And you know what about making programs right now?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

rokbass wrote:there we go
thats what im talkingabout
i'll take 100k
im pretty much ready to do how ever much schooling need to get there to
i want to be successful
and thats plenty more than my dad
Rememeber the 100K is the high end. And it takes a lot more than schooling to get you there. Plus years of exericen to get you that far. and I might like to add to get the dregree it is a lot of hard work. If you dont like coding and doing it the money is not worth it and you more than like woudl not be that good. I personly say money comes 2nd. Doing what you love comes first
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

whats going on? what ever happened to the purpose of this thread?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote:
rokbass wrote:care to share with me how much this field of work pays? :D
With things the way they are in the IT industry right now (downsizing, jobs being shipped to India and the Middle East) it is a very hard industry to get into right now. People are looking for education credentials (aka bachelors/masters degree), they are also looking for experience that spans beyond school/internship assignments.

But to answer your question, I've heard of programming gigs paying from between $30K - 100K

Yeah... and I'm one of those people looking for work right now.
I went to a Tech school and got myself an AS Degree but yet I'm still working at a grocery store.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

With my potential bonuses and stuff I have the potential to make 100K+, but my base salary is 60K. In order to make the 100K+ mark I have to average 12-14 hour days and sell alot of business (I'm a programming consultant). I also commanded that kind of base pay because I could prove I knew my stuff and I was teachable (since getting this job I've had to learn Java in a month and Transact SQL).

You are not going to make 100K out of the gate. I'm 32 years old and only broke the 30K mark back in 2001. Plus, I'm lucky that I even got this job considering I only have an Associates Degree in Accounting.

If you are choosing the programming profession because you have $ signs in your eyes, you aren't going to make the big bucks. That goes to those people who truely desire a lack of a social life
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Harra has a very good point. Programs on Average dont make the big buckx. Compared to other fields you can go in there average sal is relavtily small. An example of a field that makes pretty good money is engineering. I believe the average starting salary for an engineering ranges from 40K-55K year depending on what type you are. and then after bout 20 years of exerice most of htem are easily making 100K plus. but you dont want to be an engineering for the money. I personly am going into one of the lowest paid engineering fields (Civil). If I wanted money I would go Chemical Engineering but I hate chemistry and I dont enjoy it. I enjoy stuctures and design work so I choose the field that does a lot of that. but the fact is you Dont not choose a carrieer because of the money. Choose something you love to do.
yeah I will still be banking starting off 35-50K a year and toping out around 100K and may go higher but that is just a perk of it but it was not the desiding factor in me choosing to become an engineer. I really enjoy pratical application of math and what Civil engineering do. The 2 things civil engineering typicly do after collage I realy enjoy. One of design and anlazis and the other is project mangament for building stuff and I enjoy manajing those type of projects. But you get the idea. I am doing what I love to do.

All in all Do what you love to do and they money will follow[/b]
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

let me remind you guys i have no life
i like coding
i would do as much schooling or whatever i need to do to get to the point where i can make 100k not only because ofthe money but i like coding and i like money
and yes phase i dont know much about coding now but i have plenty of time to learn i'm still only in high school
:wink:
Bethany is cool
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm just saying I doubt you know anything (no offence), and you really should start now... Not later... But if your HS doesn't offer any classes forget what I just said...... I guess...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

rokbass wrote:let me remind you guys i have no life
i like coding
i would do as much schooling or whatever i need to do to get to the point where i can make 100k not only because ofthe money but i like coding and i like money
and yes phase i dont know much about coding now but i have plenty of time to learn i'm still only in high school
:wink:
Liking coding and not having a life aren't enough. I like coding and I don't have a life. There have been days where I've spent 24 hours non-stop programming. I also am aware that I don't have a future as a programmer. It takes a fair amount of creativity (something I lack), and a willingness to write programs whose functions don't interest you at all.

I got a taste of this about a year ago when my dad came home from work with an assignment for me. He was working on license renewal for a nuke plant and he and the rest of the group working on it needed an application to create reports in MS Word from information in the database. The database guy took care of getting the relevant information from the database, so all I needed to do was make the reports. In the end, these reports had absolutlely no meaning to me whatsoever. I would look at them and have no idea whether the output was correct or not. Eventually it all worked out, my dad gave the code to the database guy, and he added it as a function of one of the gazillion applications integrated in the 2GB+ database.

To sum it up: you may like coding, but even so you may ending up coding something of no interest to you. When you program as a hobby, you pick those things that are meaningful and relevant to you to code, but there's less of a choice when you do it professionally. I guess you could get around that by coming up wih some novel pogram idea and making it, then everyone decides they want it and are going to pat lots of money for it, etc.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Master Jedi wrote:To sum it up: you may like coding, but even so you may ending up coding something of no interest to you.
I completely forgot about that one bit of information. The difference between a $60K and a $100K developer with the same skills is often things like what Master Jedi referred to.

Almost everything I've done professionally has been something that didn't really "float my boat" but I did it.

Another wonderful bit of advice I got from a friend is to not make your favorite hobby your profession. I don't know how many times a person who liked to program did it for a living and never once wrote another piece of freeware again. That could be the very reason Big-O Ryan has dropped off the face of the earth. He is working for "The Man" now churning out code....lol. The last thing you want to do when you get home is work on a compiler
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

im 16 and in high school ... soon to be 17 and im learning html and right now am designing a sign up form for our school. But they took away are C++ program soo yeah plus u need lots of patience..which i dont have but lots n lots of practice.
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Master Jedi wrote:When you program as a hobby, you pick those things that are meaningful and relevant to you to code, but there's less of a choice when you do it professionally.
What if you worked for a video game company?? Programming in C++, Assembly(Assembler), Cobol, etc. That would be meaningful ..and I think It'd be fun at the same time.