Directory Logging Bug in v2

Post by Guest »

Using
Aim version 4.8.2646
Windows 2000 sp2
Aim+ version 2.0

Had same problem with 1.0 All loggins seems to place logs in
C:\Program Files\AIM+\AIM+ History\[screen name]

Screen name is the screen name of the buddy you are chatting with. My understanding in how the viewer expects the logs, is that another entire directory is suppose to contain all the chats, such as
C:\Program Files\AIM+\AIM+ History\[my screen name]\[screen name]

When I manually move the logs into this format, the viewer works correctly.

If this helps, my aim installation installs user data in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Aim

which is now the default for aim installs. This of course is different then the Windows 95.98 installation of c:\windows\aim95

Please ask for more details if you need them.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I've heard reports of this, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Your understandings were correct, and thank you very much for all that info.

I think you could help me find and fix this bug pretty quickly, could you drop me a line at big-o@myrealbox.com, I have some more questions, and I might like to send you builds to test out some fixes, or talk to you on AIM.

I should definitely be able to fix this with your help. I hope to hear from you..
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

email sent, same subject
THaT GUy
Just Registered
Just Registered

same problem

Post by THaT GUy »

i have the same problem only its that when i move the files like tha one guy it just creates another, but for some reason this only messes up on the one sn?
do you know why
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That's odd that on your installation it works perfectly fine for one user and not for another. Perhaps it has something to do with spacing, length, or something else to do with the specific screenname you are running AIM+ with? Or maybe a certain setting some users have checked but others don't? There has to be a pattern somewhere!
-Mark
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

hmm, as That Guy mentioned, AIM+ logs correctly for some of his sn's and some do not. I cannot seem to get AIM+ to log correctly for either of my SN's, I use two regularly. Though, perhaps it has something to do with the screen name.

They have the following format

9 chars
Starts with lowercase letter
Ends with numbers
No Scaces

11 chars
Starts with lowercase letter
No numbers
No spaces, however had spaces but reformated sn to make sure was not causing problems with aim+

Now using AIM+ v2.1
AIM 4.8.2646
Win2k

Feel free to IM me, email me, reply here, for more info.
cpradio
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by cpradio »

Big-? Mark wrote:That's odd that on your installation it works perfectly fine for one user and not for another. Perhaps it has something to do with spacing, length, or something else to do with the specific screenname you are running AIM+ with? Or maybe a certain setting some users have checked but others don't? There has to be a pattern somewhere!
My AIM Screen Names are both lowercase and 8 letters long with no numbers or spaces. I am running W2K Server, and for some reason my AIM+ History installed itself on my C:\ Drive and it doesnt work properly unless I create a folder for each of my AIM Screen Names and move the other folders into them.

Is it the fact that AIM (not plus) is installing itself differently or the fact that AIM+ is having problems corresponding with W2K's differences from 98 and 95?

-Matt
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I've received more e-mails reporting this bug, I just wanted to add that it seems to be happening under WindowsXP as well.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

It's definitely not a problem for ALL Win2k users, because I run Win2k on my computer and Ryan runs it on one of his computers, and neither of us have experienced this bug. We have received reports of this happening in WinXP as well. There are even reports where it will work for one user, but is messed up for another, on the same installation!

Continue posting information about your setups, screenname (length, letters vs. numbers, etc.), preferences, anything you can think of ... there's definitely a pattern here, we just have to find it :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I'm really happy to report that this bug has finally been fixed for the next update of AIM+. I knew there had to be a pattern, and with the help of a user (cpradio on the boards, thanks for your help!) we finally figured it out.

Look at the top of your buddy list, it says "Mark's Buddy List Window." However, if your screenname ends with an s, it says "James' Buddy List Window." AIM+ would create the directories with no problems for me (Mark), but with lots of problems for James. There's our pattern :).
-Mark
Big-O Software