AIM+ Resource ('Memory') Leak in Windows9x/ME

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Da-Man

AIM+ Resource ('Memory') Leak in Windows9x/ME

Post by Da-Man »

Hi,

I have 512 mb of ram.. and am about 70% free before running AIM+. It uses like 10% or so which isn't bad when i first open it up, however after having it open for a few hours, it starts to slow my system down, i check the free memory %, and it's less than 2 %.. so i close AIM+ (and AIM) and poof, i have 60% free again. So basically you only run out of memory when you have it open for a while.

PS - I do close my convos etc etc quite frequently so it's not that, even with no IM windows open, I have the same problem.
Zappagirl

hmmm

Post by Zappagirl »

I've been running AIM+ for a while now, and I haven't experience any memory leaks. Are you running any other programs concurrently that might be affecting AIM+?

-Zappagirl
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Please also let me know the following:

AIM Version
AIM+ Version
Operating System Version

Also, please let me know how you're determining how much 'free memory' you have.

There is a known memory leak in 1.0. Shouldn't cause any problems, but it is definitely fixed in 2.0. (there could be more, who knows.. but it isn't too likely :) )
-Ryan
Big-O Software
DA-Man

memory

Post by DA-Man »

Windows ME
AIM+ 2.0
AIM 4.7.2480

I can't have the damn program open for more than a hour without suddenly dropping down to 2% mem free, i close the program, then i'm at 60% free. I have 512 ram
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

What are you using to determine the amount of memory you have free? (it's been a while since I've used a Win9x computer)

Also, if anybody else is experiencing problems like this, please chime in! (even if you don't have any new info, I'd just like to know the scope of the problem)
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

I've had the same problem I close AIM+ and go from 0% to 60 heh
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? It seems to only be affecting users running WindowsME ...
-Mark
Big-O Software
Nemessis
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemessis »

windows me is one big memory leak . . .

Post by Guest »

I've been having the same problems. Major lose of memory while using AIM+ in WinME.
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

As far as I am concerned you should not be using WinME with over 128 megs ram. When I had dual boot of Win2k and 98, Windows98 ran SLOWER with 512MB ram then when it only had 128MB. Go out and get/buy Win2k or WinXP.
PeteHoliday

Post by PeteHoliday »

I think there might be a slight misconception here regarding the difference between memory and system resources on Windows 9x based operating systems (a group of which WinME is a part). There is a more detailed description of what I'm about to write here and other places, I'm sure, as well.

I have 728mb of ram, and almost never does my free MEMORY drop below 50%. Nevertheless, my System Resources and GDI Resources often drop down to less than 10%, causing bad things to happen. I discovered this phenomenon using AIM+ the first night that I used it. Part of the problem is that no matter how much RAM you have, you will NEVER have more than 64k of GDI and 64k of System resources. Ever. One of the chief things that uses GDI is open windows. A typical AIM IM window will use between 2% - 5% (in my experience). I've not yet tested the AIM+ windows.

The problem, however, seems to be elsewhere. I had all of my AIM+ IM windows closed, and my System/GDI resources were STILL very low, and remained that way until I closed AIM+ and restarted it. At that time, more than 50% of the System/GDI resources were returned to me. I left AIM+ running all night and did not experience a huge "leak"... it seems that simply IMing will cause a drain on the resources. When I had my biggest problem with it, I had been chatting with 6 or 7 people for the better part of two hours.

Obviously, I know nothing about the code to begin to postulate where this might be happening, but it'd be great if it stopped doing that. :D
Last edited by PeteHoliday on Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

PeteHoliday's comments were very much on the mark.

AIM+ uses very little memory, and that which it does is almost certainly cleaned up. But, based on user feedback, there definitely seems to a significant resource leak. Users on NT-based OS's (nt/2k/xp), are unaffected by this, but it is a real problem for users on any other Windows OS.

I have no idea what the cause of the resource leak is (I don't regularly use any Win9x machines), but I will be looking into it shortly, and hopefully taking care of it.

(this bug is right at the top of my ToDo list right now, up there with the 'gaps in logs' bug)
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by guest »

Yea i use Win 98 second ed. with 384mb ram on aim 4.7 and im notincing that my comp. is extreamly laggy after having aim+ on for over a couple hours, i assume this has to to with the ram leakage too. though i'd let you know.
Mike

same problem

Post by Mike »

windows 98se
p266
32 megs ram
aim 4.8.2646
aim+ 2.1.1
ok i experience the same problem when i am chatting for a long period of time my system resources level keeps dropping over time and eventually gets to 0% and frezzes up my whole computer and i am forced to close aim+(aim) then my resources level jumps back up as soon as aim+(aim) is closed. i am checkim my level by right clickin on my computer and clicking on preferences then clickin on performance. i have only been noticeing this problem with aim+2.1.1 before i upgraded this problem was never happening thanks in advance for ne other posts[/u]
Ascii

Memory / Resource Leak

Post by Ascii »

I am running Win2k, a fresh install, and am also having resource problems with AIM+.

Windows 2000
p4-1.7GHz
384MB RAM
AIM+ 2.1

I check my memory with Task Manager and notice it starts off around 10MB or so, and after several messages it goes up to 60-80MB. AIM+ is a wonderful and long-desired program, but I am afraid I must stop using it as it is seriously hogging resources. Is there an older version I can use that doesn't have this problem? When do you think this problem might be resolved?

Thanks.