Hyperlinks in IM Windows

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Secksay

Hyperlinks in IM Windows

Post by Secksay »

When receiving a hyperlink in an IM, i find the mouse pointer having trouble distinguishing and converting from the normal arrow pointer to the hand pointer, as well as causing it to become difficult to click on the hyperlink and open it. When trying to click it either highlights the text or does nothing.

I scanned the forums and noticed no other mention of this bug.

I have tried aim+ on several computers running Windows2k and XP, all with the newest version of AIM and AIM+
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Thanks for taking the time to scan the forums! I really appreciate that effort.. There may be two things at work here.

The first is that this problem exists to some degree in AIM (without AIM+). Clicking on URLs has always been a little bit flaky.

The second is that AIM+ does have a bug in it, which makes selecting text a little difficult. It only occurs sometimes, but when it does it can be very annoying to select text. This problem is described in another thread, and I'm not sure if this affects clicking on URLs, but I can see that might.

I'm curious as to how often you have this problem with URLs? Is it with every URL, all the time - or just sometimes? Also, if it does happen very often, could you try running AIM (w/o AIM+), and seeing if it behaves differently?

Thanks!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

I have noticed this on probally 90% of the URLS. I know it did happen before AIM+, but I think it may have gotten worse. Hard to say, and I do not want to use AIM without AIM+ to investigate. :D
ImmortalBlade

Post by ImmortalBlade »

Ive noticed the same issue, i thought it was just an off handed glitch, guess not. Ive only had your program for a few days, but i would say.... 3 out of the 20? URLS have had this issue. Ive never had this problem before with AIM.

Small description:
www.big-o-software.com

when i hover my mouse over lets say the www.big- it will not be clickable, however other parts of the URL will be clickable.
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

me too!

Post by Maraklov »

i've been experiencing this also.
when i try to select text, when there's a url in the message, i can't click the url and the text itself is selected. when it first happened i thought it might just be aim... i try not to blame you guys for anything... ;)
overbored

Me too

Post by overbored »

I've never had issues clicking on hyperlinks in AIM windows, but in AIM+, I have to right-click and copy URLs - which, needless to say, is quite annoying. I think that fixing this should be a major priority.
Secksay

Post by Secksay »

I get the error about 98% of the time with urls, and have never gotten it when using AIM alone. When i have trouble with AIM urls it is usually a matter of just clicking on it a second time, this happens without the pointer changing and the text highlighting.

I agree that the problem seems to stem from the highlighting of text.
ImmortalBlade

Post by ImmortalBlade »

Well......... i tried to get screen shots, but the mouse wont show up on the pictures. I gues i could draw it in.. lol. I found the URL bug in another form. Text that IS NOT the Hyperlink becomes Semi-clickable. By this i mean, when i hover my mouse over it, it turns into a hand, and when i right click, i get properties as if it were a hyperlink. However when i click on it, it highligts from the end of the hyperlink to wherever my mouse is. I still have a screenshot with out the hand(wont show up) if you want it i can post it later.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Just so everybody knows, I'm definitely aware of this issue, and everything you've described is caused by the same bug. You don't really need to go through the effort of posting screenshots, I experience this problem as well, quite regularly. It bugs the crap out of me, it will be fixed soon.

I made a change in the latest version which I thought had fixed it, but it seems that it I only reduced the frequency with which it occurs by about 10% or so. Still, I think I have a pretty good handle on the problem, and it should be fixed shortly.

There is a little more info in this thread:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=265
-Ryan
Big-O Software