Buddy list visually messed up after minimizing

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

prfxn

Buddy list visually messed up after minimizing

Post by prfxn »

First let me say, you have a GREAT product. The history feature is just plain sweet!!!

I'm running win 98, and the full version on instant messenger 4.7, the latest full verion from the AOL site....

After installing and running AIM+, when the program is minimized for longer then 10 minutes, and then when I maximize it, it looks like this...

Why can't I get the image to show???

The only way to fix it, is to grab the bottom and drag it a tiny bit to make it wider or a little longer and it will get rid of the blank area and show my buddies. If I'm just running regular AIM, without +, it's fine and this doesn't happen.

I just installed beta 4.8 thinking it would fix it, and the same thing happens with running AIM+ ---- which is when the program is minimized for more than about 5-10 min or so, the buddy list is all greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Thanks for the great post..

(I'm not sure why your image link isn't working, but it isn't your fault - none of my "BBCode" is working on the forum yet.. haven't figured it out)

I've had some "visual abnormalities", kinda like what you showed, but not quite as bad (buttons moved into weird places on the buddy list) - but it's only happened about twice for me (in 4 months of use), and only after it for a long time. Interesting that no one has reported anything like this before you, but maybe they'll start replying to this post.. It certainly isn't consistently like this (most my users are, like me, on XP). I'm going to try to reproduce this on a 98 box tonight.

When you minimize AIM, does it hide (to system tray), or does it minimize normally, to the taskbar? Also, what are the AIM+ settings you have, while this is happening (I assume the "Ad Removal" check is on, what about "List Buttons" & "General Buttons")

I'll let you know if I come up with anything..

-Ryan
Big-O Software
creepysteve

I get the same greyed out AIM window

Post by creepysteve »

- Operating System (Windows 95)
- Version of AIM (4.7.2480)

I just clicked on my AIM window after 30 minutes of inactivity.

The AIM window is greyed out.

I exited everything and brought up AIM alone and now it the buddy list area is fixed at displaying 2" height of buddies. No matter what I do to the AIL window, you can only see this 2" window of buddies.
prfxn

Again

Post by prfxn »

Big-O Software wrote:
When you minimize AIM, does it hide (to system tray), or does it minimize normally, to the taskbar? Also, what are the AIM+ settings you have, while this is happening (I assume the "Ad Removal" check is on, what about "List Buttons" & "General Buttons")

I'll let you know if I come up with anything..

-Ryan
Big-O Software
Hey.

When I minimize AIM+ it minimizes normally to the taskbar. AD removal is checked, show general buttons is checked, and show buddy list buttons is checked. Basically, all the default settings are checked as far as I know.

Thanks again,

Jason

Here is the poc again. http//www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/aim+.jpg
tryfe
Just Registered
Just Registered

Ditto

Post by tryfe »

I'm running Aim+ on the latest beta release of AIM (v4.8.2646) on XP. I'm having similar problems with my main AIM window. Instead of my AIM minimizing to the taskbar, I have it so it minimizes to the tray. If I leave it minimized for awhile and restore the window, AIM+ is completely gone and instead I see the original AIM window in it's full fugly glory! I guess since I minimized it to the tray instead of the taskbar, I get this instead of the blank window.....i dunno..... :?
prfxn

Ditto

Post by prfxn »

ANy fix for this yet? When will the next beta be out?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

No fix yet :(. We've been trying to re-create this problem on our own machines, minimizing AIM to both the system tray and the taskbar, but it hasn't come up yet. Still investigating the bug ...
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Is anyone still experiencing this problem with AIM+ 2.x?

Ryan and I were never able to recreate this bug on our own during extensive beta testing, and nobody has really mentioned it. Hopefully it went the way of the C++ crashes and was eliminated during the development of 2.0 :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Last call for this bug ... if you're experiencing this problem in AIM+ 2.x, or you experienced this problem in AIM+ 1.0 and it no longer happens in 2.x, please reply now or forever hold your peace :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

i've seen this bug a few times. (or at least what i think prfxn was trying to show)

if i see it again in the next couple hours (it's rather frequent but hasn't been so annoying that i gave it much attention) i'll post a screenshot of my own.

WinXP 5.1.2600
AIM 4.8.2646
AIM+ 2.1.1 (build 59)
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

I have seen this if I am idle for a while, when I come back the AIM window looks like prfxn's. No big dealm I just X the BuddyList and double click the AIM tray icon, then all is well.
don

so simpo

Post by don »

maximize it and unmaximize it. this can be easily done by double clicking the title bar (the part that says so and so's buddy list) ... when it maximizes, double click it again. should shrink back to original size. no problem
prfxn

It's FIXED

Post by prfxn »

I'm not sure if the latest AIM+ beta from last week did it, or the newer version on AIM 4.8 did it, but the problem is gone with the invisible buddy list problem I had!!!!!!

Thanks! Now it works perfect. I will never go back to AIM alone. AIM+ does truly rule!

By the way, nice touch with the new history feature delete buttons!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

prfxn: I'm very glad to hear your problem has been fixed! Thank you very much for following up with it, here, too.
-Ryan
Big-O Software