ekn
Just Registered
Just Registered

consolidate history for a screen name with different formats

Post by ekn »

I noticed in the history folder that separate directories had been created:

"some screen name"
"some screenname"

They differ only in the spacing. It would be nice if the logger could write everything for one screen name into the same folder regardless of spacing. (Or, the history viewer itself could consolidate the different directories, but then it might be forced to merge logs, which is presumably more difficult.)

Also, are you planning to bring those dns servers back online? :D
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I guess that happens when your buddies are changing the spacing on their screennames ... seeing as there can only be one AIM user with the specific name, regardless of spacing, this feature could be implemented ... the big question is how spacing in the directory names would be worked in the future. Currently, AIM+ history is stored exactly how the buddy's name is displayed by AIM. Would the new system use no spaces at all, or just store re-spaced names in the first directory created?

Personally, I like my histories and directories the way they are; I don't think the spaces will be going away. Another routine will probably be implemented for AIM+ to use the existing directory when this situation arises.
-Mark
Big-O Software
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

Mark,
Keeping the current dir name setting when buddies change their sn's is a good plan. Anything to avoid having 20 different variations of the same screen name. I have two buddies that find it necessary to change their sn format every week!!!
overbored

I agree

Post by overbored »

Please add this feature! I don't imagine it would be that difficult, and it would be very much appreciated. It would help us to no end in the case of people who have programs that go berserk and reformat their names every five seconds. (I used this once; it was kinda neat but annoyed the hell out of my friends and me after a while.)

Also, I think the naming system should consist of no spaces and all lower case lettering. However, you might want to allow for varying options on this matter from within the program.
kwizatz

Just wondering

Post by kwizatz »

What will happen if you reformat your -own- screen name? I'm too lazy to experiment with this ;0, but mightn't it create a new "User" in the history? Just a thought.
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

same problem
kaminari
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by kaminari »

iSteve530 wrote:Mark,
Keeping the current dir name setting when buddies change their sn's is a good plan. Anything to avoid having 20 different variations of the same screen name. I have two buddies that find it necessary to change their sn format every week!!!
One of my friends finds it amusing that he has a program which changes his SN's spacing every x seconds. It automatically refreshes in my buddy list and in the IM window whenever he or I send a message. So I think, at least having the option of, using a single directory for one user no matter what his/her name spacing/capitalization is would be a good idea.

my $0.02...

-kami
You all laugh because I'm different
I laugh because you're all the same
c0dex

Post by c0dex »

Not particularly important, but could a simple merge tool be made to correct this problem in the existing history? I'd like to consolidate my history.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

This "bug" has been fixed for the next update to AIM+, due out shortly. AIM+ will now use the existing history directory whenever a user changes the format of his screenname.

For example, if "JohnSmith" changes his screenname to "John Smith," AIM+ will use the original "JohnSmith" directory for all future conversations with "John Smith."

If you want to change the spacing of your history directories in any way, simply go to the AIM+ History folder and you can change your existing buddy folders to however you want it, and AIM+ will automatically use the right folder ... unless you spell your buddy's name wrong :).
-Mark
Big-O Software