Hyperlinks in IMs not opening new browser window

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Secksay
Just Registered
Just Registered

Hyperlinks in IMs not opening new browser window

Post by Secksay »

I don't really know if this counts as a bug or as a feature, but I know that the hyperlink bug in IMs was fixed in the newest version of aim+, making them easier to click, however the links do not open in new browser windows now, which can be quite frustrating because it opens in your current window.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

What?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
SCHAEF52599
Just Registered
Just Registered

i think....

Post by SCHAEF52599 »

i dunno if that's what he/she is trying to say... but.... i have the same problem... when i click on a regular link inside anyone's profile.. i get this message that says "http://blahblahblabh.html; program not found" and then it takes me to another window to set the program to open the http protocol.. i've told it at least 13 times to go to c:/program files/ internet explorer/Iexplorer.exe .. but the damned thing won't remember it.. i've also gone into file preferences and configured file types, but it doesn't work.. these utopia sounds are starting to drive me insane here...
Techneaux
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Hyperlink targets in IMs

Post by Techneaux »

Secksay wrote:I don't really know if this counts as a bug or as a feature, but I know that the hyperlink bug in IMs was fixed in the newest version of aim+, making them easier to click, however the links do not open in new browser windows now, which can be quite frustrating because it opens in your current window.
S/he meant when you click on an IM link in AIM, the link will open in browser window that is already open, instead of opening a brand new one like s/he wants.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Techneaux: OK, that was my original impression, but I really couldn't come close to being sure. Thanks :).

If that is the problem, it has nothing to do with AIM+. It actually has nothing to do with AIM. It is an Internet Explorer setting. In IE, go to the Tools menu and choose Options. Click the Advanced tab, and poke around the huge list of 'Browsing' options until you find "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".
-Ryan
Big-O Software
SCHAEF52599
Just Registered
Just Registered

ok but uhh...

Post by SCHAEF52599 »

i found what you told me to do... when i read it i had the impression that you wanted me to select that feature in internet explorer.. but it's already selected.. i only bring up this topic here because i don't have this problem with regular AIM..
ddonahue99
Just Registered
Just Registered

Same problem...

Post by ddonahue99 »

I had the same problem but this thread fixed it. You have to deselect the "Reuse windows" option in your IE options. I always thought this was either an AIM 4.8 or AIM+ problem. Thanks for the fix, Big-O! :)