Add multi-tabbed IM windows!

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

ibetheone

Post by ibetheone »

The last great multi-tabbed program I used for AIM was superaim and I thought that was a very good program until I started using windows xp pro, seems to me it doesn't work too well for some reason(Also I get a runtime error 6 when I close it), oh well. If only we could get in touch with the developer of this program, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having this feature implemented in AIM+. Oh yea if you wanna d/l and try it go to www.smarthack.com , go to there d/l section and ull see chat archives, click on aim, and superaim will be on the 2nd page. Or just im me, I'll send it to you, its only 41kb.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

It's interesting that you mention superaim, another user already sent me a couple versions of it, and of course (like you said) they don't work very well with modern versions of Windows, or AIM. We've since been in [indirect] contact with the author, though :). Thank you for the offer, though!
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

This would be a great idea to both reduce clutter and help me keep track of which windows belong to which screennames if I have a clone or two open..

You'd make it so we could ctrl+tab through the tabbed windows..right?

In any case, AIM+ is the best AIM-related software I've encountered yet..great work and thanks for putting in all the time on this project!
cuban

Post by cuban »

What's great about adium, is each aim window has a little ball icon next to it, and if it's one color you have a new message, if its another that person is away etc.

It's pretty cool.
KingXII

Post by KingXII »

The idea of tabbed IM windows wouldn't look too great, I use MIRC alot and i like how the chat window buttons are on one side and each button would light up will light on the side when someone talks in that chat. I use a script called Pro2 in MIRC. Something like a scrollable pop up menu would be cool kinda like the start menu when one has to many programs installed.
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

this feature would kick ass!
buster
Addict
Addict

Post by buster »

i use superaim when i have allot of windows open, but i think it would be very nice if AIM+ came with a little program like it and its on the "+" botton on the buddy list like have it say when you click it..
"AIM+ Clone
AIM+history
AIM+ prefferances
AIM+ IM manager" or something like that
-buster
SlvrChaos

is it so great?

Post by SlvrChaos »

sounds amazing.. tabbed windows. .. we could have all our IMs in one window! .. what happens when you have like 50? .. does it scroll or make them REALLY small? .. either way.. it would either be har to tell which buddy is talking or when its flashing, you would have to scroll to see it... also.. what about switching IM windows...I've been happy with the old fashoned alt+tab or alt+esc switching between IM windows.. if its all in one window.. would I have to touch my mouse?! i should hope not.. its all the way over there <<points>> it would be great if tabbed windows was an option, but I like AIM+ the way it is... and i don't want to have to stop using it.. but this option just might push me away... i know im just one guy complaining about ONE feature request, but come on, I HATE THE MOUSE!!!
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Alright SlvrChaos, I see you are very protective of your seperate windows, but keep in mind that Big-O usually makes everything an *option* instead of something that you have to use. Gotta love these guys. Hmm I just realized that this smiley looks like my 7th grade math teacher :evil: lol
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

Hey,
My biggest problem with another program I used that attached itself to AIM and tabbed the windows for you is the functionality when using only the keyboard.

What I'd like to see:

* Ctrl+Tab switching between tabs

* Upon CTRL+Tab switching, the cursor remains in the input box. This other program allows you to Ctrl+Tab, but then the "selection" would remain on the tab and you'd be unable to type, very annoying.

* Priority switching... When you Ctrl+Tab it would cycle first through the windows with responses first (i.e. are flashing) first. My roomate doesn't like this idea as he likes predictable C+Tabbing, so an option on this measure would be nice.

* If it's suddenly only one icon in the task bar and I get a message from Person #3, It would be nice to have the name change somehow so I know how many active people are messaging me. Right now, the one window blinking as I type this is ( "BuddySN - Instant Mess... ). Perhaps it could be ( AIM + 8 Messages ) blinking instead. That way if it gets above 15 I figure I should probably go see what all the fuss is about ;)

* Actually, now that I think of it... any type of ability to order the tabs would be nice. Either drag and drop, or simple sorting (alphabetizing, etc) would be nice.

I realize some of these above features might be a bit picky, but I hope not to sound ungrateful. I love AIM+ currently and imagine I'll continue to do so. I just figured since Big-O is developing this currently any little idea might help. Some might be easy to implement, some not... I figure asking can't hurt :)

Good luck guys !
AcceptTheCompliment

Post by AcceptTheCompliment »

i think a good way to organize the tabs, like logan was talking about, would be according to the way your buddy list is organized. that way you'd be able to organize it however you like, just by changing the buddy list, and it would stay that way until you changed it back.

p.s.-- does anyone know how AIM organizes the IM windows after you get back from being away? it seems a bit random to me.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I'm pretty sure that AIM organizes them by which one was on top of which when you put up the away message, and if there was no window, it just puts them on top when you recieve a message. Not positive, but this is the way that it seems to always happen for me.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

I think tabbed windows are an excellent idea; however, I think there should be a way to group IM windows into tabbed windows. For instance, I might want to have User1, User2, and User3 in tabbed IM window #1, User4 and User5 in tabbed window #2, and User6 in a non-tabbed window. There should be a window where you can arrange open IMs in a tree, kinda like the menu editor in visual basic (if you know what that's like).
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

What about a "create new window" button, and you can just drag the tabs you want into the other window kind of like in Adobe Photoshop. This sounds most logical to me instead of making things too complicated.
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

maybe the messages could be grouped according to how you have your folders in your buddy list. The way I have my buddy list arranged is using folder with specific people in each, but having an option to drag the tabs to a different window or a new one would be good too... and maybe have a remember who was grouped together option