Buddy specific away messages!

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Buddy specific away messages!

Post by Guest »

It would be really cool if it was possible to have an away message on, and let it be sent to only those people who you chose and still be talking to someone that you want to talk to while ur away is on. Like talking to my g/f or something and having an away so nobody bothers you but yet you still show up as Online =D
teresa
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by teresa »

yeah i think it would be cool to have an away, but still be able to chat with people. hehe. trillian was able to do that in their 0.70 version. sometimes you don't want to talk to some certain people. =p
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

Nothing like a little T over D :). I haven't thought of that in ages, but I guess it still holds true even today.

A feature of this sort would definitely be a great addition ... whether it's in the form of away to user, being able to talk and keep your away message up, or whatever. Something I always liked in ICQ!
-Mark
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

how possible is this?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

It is certainly possible.

The implementation I know of right now is not quite what I'd call 'production quality', but it works.

It's still very likely that you'll see this feature. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
jester22c

wonderful!

Post by jester22c »

This is a wonderful idea! I think an even better addition to this feature would be a very simple form of color coding. Example... when you are "away" the background color of the names in your buddy list window become light grey (as opposed to the usual white). When you are away and you choose to IM someone you are prompted that you are away (so you don't accidently blow your cover) (this prompt should be optional too I think) and then once you choose to talk to them the background color of their name in your buddy list turns back to white. This would make it very easy to remember who gets your away message and who doesn't. Yet another idea would be an option to automatically set a buddy to get your away when you close their IM window (not a specific buddy, anyone). So for example you are away and you are talking to someone (they dont see your away message) and you are done talking with them, you close their IM window, and then they would get your away message. All of this is much easier and simpler in my head I'm sure.

BTW I am new to AIM+ and to these forums but I plan to stick around. AIM+ is really cool and I'll help out to improve it in any way I can. I am a bit of a programmer (not too good, still in college) and I am also a graphics artist. If you need me for anything I'll try my best!
Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 »

Beyond specific users it would be nice to have a Away Message for people who're on your buddy list versus one for people who aren't.

"I'm in california for the week, reach me at 610.555.1234!"

is perfectly fine for anyone on my buddy list, but I don't want some random person lookin' at my profile and bugging me :)
skim32

COOL

Post by skim32 »

Maybe have it so that there is a different away message for each buddy group. IE. The group FAMILY will get a different message and FRIENDS will get a different one and CO WORKERS will get yet a different one. Maybe this will work for profiles too?
xcsweetie
Just Registered
Just Registered

2 away messages instead of 1? private messages?

Post by xcsweetie »

i totally support being away for some of your users and not all.

even maybe having more than one away message... for instance, i have my generic one up as usual for all my buddies, but let's say i wanted to leave a screenname specific message (for maybe a boyfriend!). so if anybody checks my away message, they get the generic one, but if joe123 signs on, he gets an away message that was set just for joe123 to receive.

OR - how about if there was a link you could click for "private message" and they would have to enter a password to receive it. you could leave phone numbers in there or anything - and just let those you're close to know the password

hope i didn't confuse you :)
RallyMonkey
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by RallyMonkey »

yeah this would be awesome...ie...im in college and my parents like to IM me/check my away messages. it would be cool if i could put up an away message for my friends that actually said where I was, like "partying at so and so's place" but my parents would see the message "writing a paper" or "at the library".
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

RallyMonkey wrote:yeah this would be awesome...ie...im in college and my parents like to IM me/check my away messages. it would be cool if i could put up an away message for my friends that actually said where I was, like "partying at so and so's place" but my parents would see the message "writing a paper" or "at the library".

LOL
klipschter

addon to this

Post by klipschter »

how about also that you could have it set so that if you are talking to say 3 or more ppl to let them know to try again later. i do technical support, for free, through AIM and i get up to 60 people trying to all IM me at once, i go crazy. it would be nice if this addon yall are talking about, which sounds awesome, could also be set to let people know that you are busy in X conversations and to try again later.

could this be added to the personalized away message?
-justin
AzNBoY0325

Post by AzNBoY0325 »

This add-on option to AIM sounds really tight, but is it even possible to do that? Also, is there a possibility of adding a personalised away message so that whenever the same person keeps im-ing it shows up with a new message each time?
Eagad
Just Registered
Just Registered

User-specific Away Messages by Group

Post by Eagad »

I would like to set forth an idea for a feature AIM has been lacking for sometime. I think that AIM needs to have an away system that allows specific users to recieve specific away messages. This comes in handy if you want to give a certain person a special away message, and the rest of the people on your list would see a different away messge

EXAMPLE:
This feature would allow users in the "Friends" category on your buddylist to recieve a message saying, "I at the frat, come out and join us!" and the users in your "Family" category to recieve an away message that says, "Working on Math HW, bbl."

This could be expanded to profiles as well.

-Chris
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

that would be an awsome and very useful feature......i wouldnt mind it =)
tone