A few suggestions about the boards

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

A few suggestions about the boards

Post by Master Jedi »

1) I get about 10 unsolicited "Hello, are you there?" IMs originating from here daily. Is there any way that my AIM screen name link could only be accessible by members of the forums?

2) I don't know how hard it is to work with phpBBs, but I think it would be nice if a list of new/unread posts since my last visit would be displayed when I first come to the site. (Kind of like the News section, it would have a list of threads with unread posts.)

3) Sometimes threads get out of hand in forums outside of OT and no one is around to lock/delete them for days. With the release of the new deadaim this has become even more apparent. Perhaps it would be in order to give one of the OT Mods the power to lock threads in the other forums.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

good ideas....

heres my take on Big-O as a whole though.....

something needs to happen. anything. I mean, i know nothing is gonna happen with AIM+, but something just needs to change or happen or anything.
Its been just a general forum for chatting for a few months and honestly, its getting pretty redundant. Im not sayin im gonna stop coming, but its just been a little...... boring.

If no new software is coming out, how about something on the boards changed or sumthin?

..........anything

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Anthony

Re: A few suggestions about the boards

Post by Anthony »

Master Jedi wrote:1) I get about 10 unsolicited "Hello, are you there?" IMs originating from here daily. Is there any way that my AIM screen name link could only be accessible by members of the forums?
Yes, however I don't know if their are any pre made hacks for this...
2) I don't know how hard it is to work with phpBBs, but I think it would be nice if a list of new/unread posts since my last visit would be displayed when I first come to the site. (Kind of like the News section, it would have a list of threads with unread posts.)
You mean http://discuss.big-o-software.com/searc ... =egosearch ?

[/quote]3) Sometimes threads get out of hand in forums outside of OT and no one is around to lock/delete them for days. With the release of the new deadaim this has become even more apparent. Perhaps it would be in order to give one of the OT Mods the power to lock threads in the other forums.[/quote]

No room for me to comment.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

What does egosearch list? I meant just the new posts since my last visit. This shows a lot of posts I haven't ever read and some which I've read all the posts in.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

1] -- Yes, I do too. That would be nice. I can probably write the code for it if there isn't a premade hack... if I find some time that is.

2] -- Yep there is the egosearch although it doesn't work very well.

3] -- I agree... I'll gladly take on the responsibility. Those random/spamming threads are annoying and they never seem to pop up in my forums.
:D
fuuucckkers

Re: A few suggestions about the boards

Post by fuuucckkers »

Master Jedi wrote:
3) Sometimes threads get out of hand in forums outside of OT and no one is around to lock/delete them for days. With the release of the new deadaim this has become even more apparent. Perhaps it would be in order to give one of the OT Mods the power to lock threads in the other forums.
I agree. But recently (before all the commotion about DeadAIM) I contacted Mark about this same exact thing.

He states --
Big-O Mark wrote: "The best way you can help out with the other forums is to bring to our attention, through PM ..... ."
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

4) Axilla and his sexy bunny should be the moderator of something. Possibly a new OT forum, OT Bunnies maybe?
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

you know there a reason I drop off the AIM part from the bottoms off of the bottom. I got tired of those Hello are you there IMs that I got read of it for ever from my profil. Hell my log on name is the same as my screen name (as it is for many of us) If some needs to IM they can just put my log on name in the box. Cuts down on a lot of the crap
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Matt

Post by Matt »

1) That would definately be a plus to the forums, but I'm not sure how useful it would be considering there are a lot of new sign up per day and if someone is just browsing, clicks on the AIM link, sees it says register, and they register...then they have access to getting your AIM name...

2) If you access Big-O via bookmarks, you could just simply set this link: http://discuss.big-o-software.com/searc ... d=newposts to be the way you visit Big-O. I know that is what I have done and what I do for many other forums I frequent. It is extremely helpful because I can just click the link to Big-O, see no posts or whichever, middle click them to open in a new tab...and go about my day.

3) I tried sending an IM to Mark not really thinking about PM at the time about that thread in the DeadAIM forum...but received no response. I'm not sure if Mark cleared it up, or if it was the person who put the links out...I do know that I told one person (DanHab2000 if I'm not mistaken) to take his links out. I also know that I wouldn't have a problem if I was a global moderator...I visit the forums enough to monitor the forums, even if I'm not a frequent poster (some threads don't appeal to me). I find myself most times with no one else at the forums (of course those times are during the "off" times, but still).
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Thanks KoolTaB...that link is exactly what I needed.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Or maybe you could click the "View posts since last visit" link at the top of the forums listing?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Michael wrote:Or maybe you could click the "View posts since last visit" link at the top of the forums listing?
That is the link that I gave him...
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Axilla wrote:4) Axilla and his sexy bunny should be the moderator of something. Possibly a new OT forum, OT Bunnies maybe?
..you're an idiot...lol.. :roll:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You know what? I actually intended to give you the link Matt did but I never use that one... (I use the ego one on phpBB.com because those tend to be the only topics I care about).

I knew it was one of those at the top though.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

KooLTaB101 wrote:That is the link that I gave him...
Yeah, but I was pointing out that he doesn't have to bookmark it, it's right there...