Routers..

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Autumns Ashes
Just Registered
Just Registered

Routers..

Post by Autumns Ashes »

My internet connection is Cable modem, but I'm split with my brother on a router. Quite a few of my friends also have routers, and it makes it impossible to Direct Connect, File Send, and (I haven't tried, but I'm guessing features like Talk.. etc..) Well anyways, is there anyway to fix this? Would it be a bug in AIM, or the routers? Thanks for the help.

-autumn
killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

u have to open a port in ur routers settings on one computer, or run dmz on another computer, if u have linksys goto ur configeration (typically http://192.168.1.1) and goto http://192.168.1.1/DMZ.htm, or http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm
nrok311

Post by nrok311 »

i recently got a router and ran into this problem as well. i thought the DMZ thing would fix it, but it didnt. my friends who are much smarter than me with this kinda stuff explained to me that the problem is most likely a bug with AOL and nothing to do with the router.
killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

It works most of the time for me though. I dont think its an aol problem, more of ur os, isp, problem
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Oh it's AIM alright. You can have someone click the DC button and netstat and see you trying to connec to a 192. addy. That's beacuse AIM is checking the socket which will report the closest DHCP, which will be router->cable or sometimes router 192. -> dsl 10. -> external. What AIM needs to do is check what it connects to TOC/Oscar instead of a new socket.

DMZ will only work if it is getting the right IP of course. Virtual Servers with the correct ports would likely do better once you get that far, too.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
jivy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by jivy »

Well I have read countless threads on this subject, and there isn't really a true way to get direct connect to work in some instances. I use a LinkSys wireless router. Originally, I could get it to work by disabling DHCP, and enabling DMZ on my IP. Opening ports never did anything for me. But I eventually upgraded the firmware, and now that doesn't work :-?

Just gotta wait for AOL to upgrade their network stuff.
Jivy ~>
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Even if they do fix it (for all 5 lines of code... bastards), it'd end up in the inferior 5.0 and not 4.8 :( I've been looking to hex edit and manually change it to my real IP, but I can't find it.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Im not sure, but it may be because of routers having built in firewalls...some can disable the firewall on their routers.
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Everyone I know that has a router it has been caused not by the firewall, but because AIM does not look for the IP address in the right place. Have someone with a router click direct connect and check the netstat and you'll see it trying to connect to a 192. address which could never work.