How To Send IM's To Offline People: MessageServer

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Do you like MessageServer, and think it is useful?

Yeah its awesome!
65%
Good idea but it needs work.
30%
Its junk but i'll use it every now and then.
3%
It sucks, stick with eMail!
3%

Total votes: 37

btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

I just wanted to say that although I haven't tried this service, I sure hope it'll grow even better. I wish I could help support, and the only thing so far that I could think of is maybe some webspace and bandwidth. How much do ya need?
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
MiniSizeIt

Post by MiniSizeIt »

I wish I could help :-? But all I can do is webdesign.... Let me know if I can do much service.
Hedgie

suggestion

Post by Hedgie »

Great service - fulfills a need. A few suggestions/ ideas- 1) when a message is delivered to the recipient, could the Reply option be intelligent enuf to try to send first to the sender and if the sender is offline, then to automatically send it to the messageserver? (with a note returned to the user explaining what was done?)
2) regarding the release of the code - It would be great if we could create our own bot (Screennameawayserver or something) so that the message server is not overwhelmed. Then no warning issues, downtime, verification of receipt? etc. Maybe this can be done as a program that will attempt to register the screenname someone wants and installs itself. Then the actual code would not be readily accessible if that is a concern.
3) This is the type of service that needs its own development site/forum. I am willing to help - volunteer some space if I can etc..
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Wow looks like we've got some volunteers there Taz :D

....Hedgie about your first suggestion, I really like that idea but unfortunately that would envolve editing client side code which isn't possible :-? we could however *possibly* check to see if the sender is online whenever the message is delivered and then notify the recipient.
Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

hmmm - If you check to see if user is online you can then say instead of Reply - "User not online would you like to reply via message server?" or"User online - would you like to reply?" That would do it and from what you are saying I think that is possible?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Hedgie wrote:hmmm - If you check to see if user is online you can then say instead of Reply - "User not online would you like to reply via message server?" or"User online - would you like to reply?" That would do it and from what you are saying I think that is possible?

Yes that would be possible however you couldn't reply directly to the user within the same IM window (if it tells you that they are online). But it could provide a URL that would open up the correct IM window so you could IM them... see what I mean?
Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

I understand now.

Here is an AIM+ related suggestion - add a button to an IM window that would pull up a new im window that is sent to MessageCenter with the SN; already typed in :)

maybe I am getting ahead of myself.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Hedgie wrote:I understand now.

Here is an AIM+ related suggestion - add a button to an IM window that would pull up a new im window that is sent to MessageCenter with the SN; already typed in :)

maybe I am getting ahead of myself.

No I like the idea, although I'd put it on the buddy list window not on every IM window, but once again that's client side. I could do it to my own AIM but it wouldn't help the rest of everyone out there they'd have to add the button themselves and most of them wouldn't know where to start...
Hedgie

Post by Hedgie »

No I like the idea, although I'd put it on the buddy list window not on every IM window, but once again that's client side. I could do it to my own AIM but it wouldn't help the rest of everyone out there they'd have to add the button themselves and most of them wouldn't know where to start...
Myself included - I was thinking that AIM+ is client side oriented so some smart person reading this could do it :) - the buddy list would be just a s good[/quote]
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Hedgie wrote:

Myself included - I was thinking that AIM+ is client side oriented so some smart person reading this could do it :) - the buddy list would be just a s good
[/quote]

Yes it could be incorportated into AIM+ but I'm not so sure they'd want to do that. When all's said and done it's easier for everyone to just have messageserver in your buddy list and IM "him".
frOwy_bOy

Post by frOwy_bOy »

you can try and e-mail aim about the warning thing .. i think they can make your account unwarnable .. it's like how smarterchild works .. you can't warn it ..
TazX2k
Addict
Addict

Post by TazX2k »

guys guys... about that reply thing, it already does that!! if the sender is online it opens a new im to the senders sn, if the sender is not online it places sendersn; in the messageserver im window. and for aol making it unwarnable i doubt they would do that, or everyone would make a dumb bot and ask aol to do that, if we had no rate limits that would be amazing. also active buddy has a patent on AIM bots so that makes MessageServer illegal, can you believe that guys?

And is anyone here good at making webpages and graphics, how about starting a little team??? and if anyone can donate some webspace that would be great also. can we get some space from big-o? i would also like it if everyone that knows how to code, (only experienced, or semi-experienced coders though) to say that in their post, i'd like to gather a small team of people, if you don’t know how to code its all cool because we still need you for ideas/graphics/web stuff, or anything you'd like to do. Just make sure you say you want to join in your post, I want to see if we can get enough people before we try to start this.
So what do you guys think?
and for the last time plasma, who's the girl? lol
Joe Ventura
MiniSizeIt

Post by MiniSizeIt »

I'm a web designer and own my own web design company. I'd like to help, but I'm not sure if I'd have time to help you out fully. I'm swamped with school, web design, and lots of other stuff... But I may be able to help out.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I can web design and such...not too too good at coding...but can do some...if you need my help, i would be happy to :D
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

Ok, heres the thing...... Ya got a lot of people here that know a lot of stuff.....

You need to make a thing to have a team or community or people that do different things.

IE: The people that can design webpages pretty good, they go in one group. The VB'ers can go in another group.

And the differences would be in that say the VB'ers would get access to clippets of code.... the Web Designers would get other kinds of stuff... etc.

As for me, ive been working and using VB for years..... i wouldnt call myself a pro (can anybody call themselves a pro anyways?), but im pretty good.

Wats ur status...?

.................You like the girl? :wink: lol

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!