The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

btvillarin wrote:It's probably because the attacks were so bad, that it disrupted their lives. Is that worth enduring to provide free software?

Bryan
Thank you for understanding! That's exactly what I've been trying to say all along.
-Mark
Big-O Software
bfavre4

Post by bfavre4 »

Timelessblurr wrote:
bfavre4 wrote:HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN DEADAIM? THAT PROGRAM HAS LOGGING, ADS DISABLING, TRANSPARENCY, CLONING, JUST LIKE AIM+. Why not use Deadaim?
you can not clone one deadaim when you have ME (which unforchly I have and ME SUCKS ASS I WANT XP ON THIS COMPUTER). plus it does not run like aim+. it fucks with aim. It doe not have has many opintions as AIM plus has. It changes the aim file complately. AIM+ ran out side of aim so it was still posible to run noraml aim
Really? Deadaim changes the executable of AIM or something?!!
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

asmily1 wrote:I don't want to sound nosey, but I still can't help but wonder for what reason the software hasn't been released. If someone slandered you that still wouldn't be a reason to postpone a release. The only thing I could see, is a threat, which if physical could be solved by just calling the police. If not physical (aka legal or monetary or whatever), then it'd be nice to know that.

Big-O Has us sitting here for 16 pages of posts just because people debate what the reason for not releasing is. Why don't you just put us out of our misery and let us know what's wrong. Or atleast tell us WHY you can't tell us the cause for the postponement.

I even don't read all these posts. I scroll through trying to find Mark's posts hoping that he'll have said something informative. But for now, I'm left, to be honest, dissapointed and dissatisfied with the "official" response from big-o.

I mean, look at the number of views this forum has gotten. In the past 6 hours, it has been viewed ELEVEN THOUSAND times. 11,000 people deserve some type of answer better than "oh, stuff came up and we can't release it." I understand some things came up but still, you're leaving us hangin.
well a lot of use proble have bout 100 view by our selve so you got to take out all the multi views this forums gotten. so it a lot lowwer than 11,000
DaBigBass

Re: Don't Let AIM+ Die

Post by DaBigBass »

XxCrAzYGaMeRxX wrote:
asmily1 wrote:Granted this may be my very first post on the forum, but I don't think it could come at a more opportune time.

Now it may be that people slandering your personal lives is not acceptable, and I agree with that. But must everyone who loves AIM+ suffer because of a few upset and disgruntled people.

By giving in, don't you allow those who slandered you to win? Their only goal was to get you upset and give up - and here you guys are, doing exactly that, giving up.

Why don't you guys win, and continue developing AIM+. Everyone who uses and loves AIM+ has waited for this new release. And we can wait some more, because we love the program. Granted, yes, we are impatient, but that's only because we love it. I searched on google while the site was down and found tons of forums discussing the downtown in which HUNDREDS of users complained that they could not wait for the new release.

My opinion, and I'm sure thousands of people agree with me, don't waist all your hard work and effort developing AIM+ 3.0. Make AIM+'s first birthday worthwhile. A belated birthday present prehaps?

Don't give in, continue developing AIM+ and ignore the people who have just ruined a great piece of software for hundreds of thousands of people.
EXACTLY
why should u let them win? :x god damn guys. i mean come on, so what, u got punked. who cares? ur gonna throw this all away because sumone made fun of u? just keep on goin and forget about the losers who cdon't have anything to do but complain and spread rumors.
just plz release version 3.0
if u have it.... :-?
i agree as well. if good ol' bill gates gave up at the first sight of opposition to microsoft...which i wouldnt doubt reaches back to his times spent in his garage...then microsoft probably wouldnt have become what it is today. if you let a minority group boss you around, what does that say about your character? for one, you let down all those who support you like crazy, which i may add, includes me too. and secondly, there will always be opposition; more often than not, its from a sorry group who doesnt know better cuz they're probably 30 or 40 and still living at home with their parents, and running on an old 386. to simply break down at the first sign of it, wont take one very far.

and besides, aim+ 3.0 was supposedly already done and ready for release, so all that bout taking too much time and fighting mere oppositions sort of reveals its lack of completion despite the false advertisement.

im disappointed, i admit, but i still support you guys, and hope you dont let opposition get in your way. also, ive tried deadaim, and may i add, its nothing compared to aim+ so until aim+ 3.0 comes out, im gonna be running aim 4.8....or seeing as aim+ 3.0 looks like it never may, i guess im stuck with aim 4.8 for eternity :-?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

I guess I post with good logic Mark? ;)
asmily1 wrote:I don't understand what "attacks" can disrupt their lives. If it is DOS attacks, let the web host deal with that. Hell, even pull down the website or direct people to download the software from download.com. If it's some type of threat, there are ways to deal. I just don't get it.
If something really really bad happened to you, and it was so personal that you couldn't possibly disclose it, you'd understand where these two are coming from. I hope that'll never happen to me, but it's unfortunate that this is happening to them. I'm certain that they loved AIM+, but try to think of the possibilities of them not releasing it. What if the threats were against AIM+, that if they did release it, something bad might happen to them? (I'm only speculating) I'm just trying to make the point that it's their software, so they should deal with it however they deem fit.

Bryan
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
asmily1

Post by asmily1 »

Big-O Mark wrote:
btvillarin wrote:It's probably because the attacks were so bad, that it disrupted their lives. Is that worth enduring to provide free software?

Bryan
Thank you for understanding! That's exactly what I've been trying to say all along.
Mark, I'm not saying I don't understand (see previous posts), I just have trouble understand what could attacks could cause so much harm. I agree, if the attacks were so disruptive, then there's no point. But I just don't understand what could be so offensive again AIM+ that you would discontinue that but still work on hkSFV. I'm just curious and I wish you all luck. I really do hope the best for you, and AIM+.
DaBigBass

Post by DaBigBass »

Timelessblurr wrote:
Sidious wrote:I just want to thank Ryan and Mark for all the hard work they have done on AIM+, people kept telling me about all of the new DeadAIM features, but i refused to get it because i am loyal to AIM+. I was looking forward to upgrading to AIM 5.x and their typing notification, but I'll gladly stick with AIM+ and AIM 4.8 instead. To whoever it is who slandered Ryan and are harrassing Big-O about being wimps and what not, you guys are ungrateful SOBs who really need to go F@#$ themselves. these guys spent their own time developing and supporting a FREE product, and i dont care how much hype they put behind AIM+ 3.0, they don't deserve the attacks some of the people in here are saying.

Thank you guys for everything, and i know this has been asked, but please ask Ryan to post the source code, especially if you guys are putting AIM+ on the 'backest of back burners' we were all really looking forward to it.

PS. thank you SparkleSatine for telling these idiots off, im behind you 100%
I would keep running AIM+ with aim 4.8 but alase I cannt
My computer crashed a while ago and it lost everything. by the time I could get aim back on there all I could get was version 5. Because I hate adds so much I need something that would cover them which means I had to used deadaim. It sucks compared to aim+ and the day I can get aim+verson 3 I going back to aim+ because it so much better
you can get previous versions of aim @ www.aimfilez.com
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

bfavre4 wrote:
Timelessblurr wrote:
bfavre4 wrote:HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN DEADAIM? THAT PROGRAM HAS LOGGING, ADS DISABLING, TRANSPARENCY, CLONING, JUST LIKE AIM+. Why not use Deadaim?
you can not clone one deadaim when you have ME (which unforchly I have and ME SUCKS ASS I WANT XP ON THIS COMPUTER). plus it does not run like aim+. it fucks with aim. It doe not have has many opintions as AIM plus has. It changes the aim file complately. AIM+ ran out side of aim so it was still posible to run noraml aim
yeah it fucks with it. it not the samie aim. like god forbid you like the ads you could not put them back on. all the stuff that aim+ you could disable it will do that but it will not let you undisable them plus you can not run aim like normal aim it always will be run with deadaim
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Big-O Mark wrote:

Bryan
I'm with you on this one.
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

If you look closely on the AIM download page, at the second to last line:
Windows 95 users please click here to download AIM 4.8.
If you're hosting this somewhere, you don't have to waste your bandwidth...just link to this. I just tried the link, and it works. (Just FYI) :)

Again, it's not our concern to know what the personal attacks were. Just knowing that it was so severe, and we should just offer our sympathy and support. (IMO)

(Thanks nybbles :) )

Bryan
Last edited by btvillarin on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
asmily1

Post by asmily1 »

btvillarin wrote:Again, it's not our concern to know what the personal attacks were. Just knowing that it was so severe, and we should just offer our sympathy and support. (IMO)
I agree, and retract prior said statements.
bfavre4

Post by bfavre4 »

Timelessblurr wrote:
bfavre4 wrote:
Timelessblurr wrote: you can not clone one deadaim when you have ME (which unforchly I have and ME SUCKS ASS I WANT XP ON THIS COMPUTER). plus it does not run like aim+. it fucks with aim. It doe not have has many opintions as AIM plus has. It changes the aim file complately. AIM+ ran out side of aim so it was still posible to run noraml aim
yeah it fucks with it. it not the samie aim. like god forbid you like the ads you could not put them back on. all the stuff that aim+ you could disable it will do that but it will not let you undisable them plus you can not run aim like normal aim it always will be run with deadaim

What about MyIM? I read up on that program and it has the same features as well. Does MyIM change the AIM original executable as well?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

asmily1 wrote:
Big-O Mark wrote:

Bryan
Mark, I'm not saying I don't understand (see previous posts), I just have trouble understand what could attacks could cause so much harm. I agree, if the attacks were so disruptive, then there's no point. But I just don't understand what could be so offensive again AIM+ that you would discontinue that but still work on hkSFV. I'm just curious and I wish you all luck. I really do hope the best for you, and AIM+.
I guessing you all never had people do attack on you person lifes. I just had the phone calls and minor things done to me at one time or another and it really makes life hard to put up with. It makes it hard to get anything done. You get to the point were you do not like answering the phone. My mom had a problem with a parent of one of her students. This parent would call out house at all hours of the night. They would wake up my entire house at 2-3 am just because they were pissed. I tell you right now it easy for attack to ruin ones life and for doing this for free software it just not worth the trouble to go though with it. I agree with mark and Ryan on the fact that getting the attacks to stop number 1.

One question who here would have there personal live ruined to do something like mark and ryan are doing. Just to make free software
djouch
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by djouch »

-I really dont want aim+ to be gone, i loved that program soooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!! Please try your hardes mark and ryan.........

-You cant leave us hangin like this.. can you answer this question yes or no.... is it AOL harrasing you?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

bfavre4 wrote:
Timelessblurr wrote:
bfavre4 wrote: Really? Deadaim changes the executable of AIM or something?!!

What about MyIM? I read up on that program and it has the same features as well. Does MyIM change the AIM original executable as well?
never used it I just started using dead aim because the ads bother me so much