Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Re: AIM+ Postponement

Post by Timelessblur »

DaBigBass wrote:
SpeedyGonGoalie wrote:
loogie_man wrote:I have read all (well, the first two pages) of your comments, and yall seem to be overlooking something...

pdykstra600 wrote:
something sounds kind of weird about this whole thing, and to be honest it almost sounds to me like the people their talking about who were harrasing them was AOL. I mgiht be wrong, but its just a thought.

AOL probably IS who's harassing Mark and Ryan... and not just to harass them. There are probably legal reasons that a version of AIM+ compatible w/ AIM 5.x can not be released, such as copyrights. Most coders would not buckle and fold simply due to some punk fans teasing their product, etc.. And this is also probably why they don't want to explain in much detail why 3.0 can't be released yet (because they don't want to be sued).

This possibility can be somewhat proven by the fact that they said they're still going to be releasing new versions of hkSFV... because it doesn't have any legal problems against it.

Good luck, Big-O...
Here's why this doesn't make sense. DeadAIM RELEASED (as in you can download it) a new version with 5.x compatiblity. MyIM is also announcing the impending release of their newest version with 5.x compatiblity. So why would AOL choose to pick on Big-O?
cuz aim+ is the only worthy application :wink:
I agree. I got deadaim last night and it sucks. Short to say deadaim is no longer on my computer. I stick with aim 5 until the aim+3 come out. I would got back to 4.8 but my brother will just update to 5.x . My lap top on there outher hand will stick with 4.8 with aim+ until versin 3 is out
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

Anyone know GAIM that wants to answer my questions?
~Kate~
DaBigBass

Post by DaBigBass »

SparkleSatine wrote:Anyone know GAIM that wants to answer my questions?
sorry, i myself have never tried it...i do however have a friend thats been using it for quite sometime, i just tried giving him a call, but hes not home right now :-? i could try back later
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

DaBigBass wrote:
SparkleSatine wrote:Anyone know GAIM that wants to answer my questions?
sorry, i myself have never tried it...i do however have a friend thats been using it for quite sometime, i just tried giving him a call, but hes not home right now :-? i could try back later
Daw! That's so sweet :lol:

Seriously, you don't have to do that...but thank you so much!
~Kate~
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

btvillarin wrote: If anyone wants to log the chat and email it to me, I'll format it and post it. I'm doing the one with Mark right now, from the two pages already posted.

Bryan
As long as I am home at the time of the chat (which is??) I will log it and send it to you.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Marth and Roy

Post by Marth and Roy »

Well this sucks...i mind as well just go shoot myself now lol nah just joking. Some people at the boards are taking this to seriously though i mean AIM+ is awsome but its not like its the end of the world or anything. There is life outside of the internet. And if your that upset with it people can just downgrade to the version of AIM that will still work with AIM+ that we have now. Also you never know they might get 3.0 someday if they can stop the threats...maybe :-?
D-D-Di-Did I-I-I St-St-Studder?.
Hoked on Fonics worcks for I!!!
Marth and Roy
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Marth and Roy wrote:Well this sucks...i mind as well just go shoot myself now lol nah just joking. Some people at the boards are taking this to seriously though i mean AIM+ is awsome but its not like its the end of the world or anything. There is life outside of the internet. And if your that upset with it people can just downgrade to the version of AIM that will still work with AIM+ that we have now. Also you never know they might get 3.0 someday if they can stop the threats...maybe :-?
Hey some final got the idea YAY. Marth and Roy has a great point now every one should take it to heart.
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

I've formatted the chat to the most pertinent answers, and removed extraneous questions.

http://www.btvillarin.com/aimplus/

If Ryan does a chat, I'll format that one as well (if someone will log it).

Bryan
Last edited by btvillarin on Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

*growls* Now Gaim is just crashing.

It's a sweet programme with excellent features, but I don't know how to make it less...crashy.
~Kate~
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Bryan,

I read the original "transcript" of the chat last night, and I must say that I LOVE your re-work. It is much easier to follow with your categorical groupings.
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Have you tried Trillian? It's really not that bad. GAIM is basically still beta, so it's not surprising that it'd crash a bit.
Bryan T. Villarin
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

btvillarin wrote:Have you tried Trillian? It's really not that bad. GAIM is basically still beta, so it's not surprising that it'd crash a bit.
Trillian no that bad it just really confusing to use. I have it and I playing around with it on my othersn for now. I going to use normal AIM and everthing until it makes sence but the day I can get AIM+3 trillian is gone
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

It was to me at first, too. I think it's just really really robust, ya know? ;)

I'm gonna image my system, then have a look at GAIM. Maybe I can see if it's stable on my system and stuff. :) Be back in 20 minutes...

Bryan
Bryan T. Villarin
ZildjianB

Re: The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Post by ZildjianB »

Big-O Mark wrote:Unfortunately for everyone anticipating the next release of our popular AIM+ application (including us), AIM+ 3.0 has been indefinitely postponed. Big-O Software has two major reasons for this decision, one that we have been attempting to work around, the other is simply unacceptable.

First, a huge difference between Big-O Software last year and Big-O Software this year is that both Ryan and I have completed college and have been thrust into the real world. In order to survive in the real world, we have both taken jobs that consume massive amounts of our time that in the past at least partially could be devoted to the support and development of our software. Spare time has been scarce, and it is key for Big-O Software, as it is a hobby that pays us nothing. This part, however, we were willing to work around, so that we could continue to provide quality software for ourselves and our users.

Second, over the past few months, Big-O Software has been attacked repeatedly in various ways, including telephone, email, and through the website. Recently, with the impending release of AIM+ 3.0, the individuals responsible for these attacks have taken the liberty of posting personal information about us on the internet, and the frequency and intensity of the attacks have grown exponentially. We have had a lot of fun working with the users to develop AIM+, but if this price we have to pay for our effors, then it is simply not worth it to us. We have invested a lot of time and effort into AIM+, without expecting or getting anything tangible back. There is nothing wrong with that, as we never expected anything other than our own personal use of the software. However, we are now experiencing very tangible negative effects. This is the unacceptable part; it automatically made up our minds for us.

In conclusion, Big-O Software has indefinitely postponed the further development of AIM+. We plan to continue to work out bugs in the current version, including AIM 5.x compatibility, but at this point these are our final plans for the future of AIM+.

hkSFV will continue to be fully supported, and we already have plans for future releases. Big-O Software also has plans and ideas for other new applications that we expect you will enjoy even more than AIM+.

To those who have supported us, in any way, throughout the development of AIM+: thank you, you made it very fun while it lasted, and we're sorry for the disappointment that this must bring. It certainly was not the way we had planned on celebrating AIM+'s 1 year anniversary. Unfortunately, the recent negativity and personal invasions have made this troubling decision an easy one for us to make.
Big-O Ryan wrote:Sorry that I wasn't around last night for the chat, and to reply to everything that's been said.

I've read some kind words, though, and it's been really refreshing and uplifting to hear not-entirely-negative sentiments being expressed.. The last week has really sucked for me, and Mark-- if nothing else I can assure you that nobody is more disappointed and distressed by this decision than us. I mean, it's a little bit of a load off my shoulders, just because AIM+ has never been easy, but the fun has always outweighed the work.

I have quite a bit to say -- I know our initial statement was too brief and vague in light of the message it was delivering. I'm not sure exactly what Mark has said since then, but we'll be here to talk about it tonight (or at least I will, since I wasn't last night)..

We're not going anywhere.. I know that many of you probably will go away, and that sucks, because we've really enjoyed having most of you around -- but it's totally understandable.

I'll be around a bit today, but might not have time to catch up on everything until tonight. Feel free to ask questions, complain, whatever..
Mark, Ryan:

I had to join the forums to say that I totally support your decision 110%. As a fellow software developer, I completely understand your thinking: No piece of software is worth your personal safety. I hope whoever is responsible for the harassment is caught and held accountable for their actions.

On another note, I must say that there is no excuse for the level of immaturity and disrespect I have seen displayed in several of the posts to this forum and others around the web regarding this topic. The persons responsible for such ignorant outbursts (you know who you are) obviously are not deserving of such a fine piece of software. No one is owed or entitled to Aim+ simply because it was due to be released. Furthermore, I know from personal experience that the last thing you want to do after you have finished slaving over a piece of software is NOT release it!! This has to be killing Mark and Ryan, and all this childish whining will get you nowhere. Stop being so selfish people.
Leah-la

Post by Leah-la »

I know we all have our opinions, but 22 pages of them, in 2 days? Whoa. It took me quite a while to just skim through this topic looking for post by mark and Ryan. I know everyone is upset, I'm disappointed too, but we have no right to be angry at Mark and Ryan. It's not like we payed for AIM+ or helped in the development, or even truly need AIM+. All we can do now is wait and see, and wish Mark and Ryan good luck. So, good luck, and I hope that you can get past all this so we can all enjoy AIM+. This will be my only post on this topic... I don't want to add anymore to the length of it :wink: .
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" -Unknown
--------------------------------------------------------
Leah-la